Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

cat's 1st flight... what happens if he needs to pee? any advice appreciated!

Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

I am about to take my cat on his very first flight. 2 hours to Chicago, 2.5-hour connection time, then another 2-hour flight to the final destination.

He will be in his favorite pet carrier. He's fine if I take him on short trips to/from the vets office. However, I'm really worried about having him onboard.

If needs to pee, what will I do? My only plan right now is to limit his water intake before the flight and give him water slowly during the trips. I also got a few of those water-absorbing sheets to line the pet carrier, just in case.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by geometry
I am about to take my cat on his very first flight. 2 hours to Chicago, 2.5-hour connection time, then another 2-hour flight to the final destination.

He will be in his favorite pet carrier. He's fine if I take him on short trips to/from the vets office. However, I'm really worried about having him onboard.

If needs to pee, what will I do? My only plan right now is to limit his water intake before the flight and give him water slowly during the trips. I also got a few of those water-absorbing sheets to line the pet carrier, just in case.

Any advice appreciated.
I've done it on a 14 hour flight. It's not that big of a deal. Line the carrier with those sheets, limit water intake. Change the sheets out midflight. Not much else you can do.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

the cat is 11 years old... I've tried very hard to shield him from the stress of flying during all those 11 years. (countless number of hours/days/weeks that my friends have helped out, as well countless number of dollars spent on sitters and cat hotels) However, this time, it's a must-travel situation....

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 18, 2022 at 12:49 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I would think that having some extra personal items, that are smelling like your cat, may reduce the stress of the traveling situation--your pet may respond in a better manner when surrounded by familiar smells. As for holding urine, I wouldn't restrict water too much. Cat's are really sensitive. Best of luck with your cat's travels!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I have gone away for a couple of weeks at a time and have just asked a neighbour to come and feed my cat for me. She is now 16 years old and there is no way I would put her thru that stressful experience
b1513 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
If the OP is worried then that is a sign to do something different. And I am sure all those flyers allergic to cats will thank you for leaving it at home.
SCToni and thunderlounge like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 18, 2022 at 12:52 am Reason: Removed wuoote of deleted post
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Most healthy cats are not huge water drinkers and can 'hold it' pretty well. When we used to travel with Five cat, we did pull food the night before to reduce the chances of other output.

The most stressful time for him in transit was clearing security- it's a strange and scary environment and they want to be inside the carrier because it's safe there rather than getting pulled out in the chaos. If cat will wear a harness as well as a collar, it's useful to have that on for if/when he gets squirmy while outside his safe and happy box.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:58 am

To the OP: my traveling cats can "hold it" for up to 12 hours and most cats try hard not to wet themselves. Line the carrier with absorbent pads, take along a plastic bag or two in case you have remove a soggy pad. Maybe limit water right before the flight, but don't withhold it completely. Think about putting a t-shirt or something with your scent on it in the carrier for comfort. Carry a few kitty treats with you in case the cat gets vocal.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 18, 2022 at 12:55 am Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I've never flown with a cat, but I have done road trips with cats. We had one who was a horrible traveler. We would be in the car for about thirty minutes, during which the cat talked nonstop. Then the cat - how to put this delicately - pretty much made a royal mess in the carrier which smelled to high heaven.

Now in a car, we could travel with loads of absorbent materials and make a stop ASAP to clean the mess. And after the first time, we learned to recognize the signs of impending doom.

What eventually helped her to become a better traveler was a vet's prescription for kitty Valium.

We did leave her at home with a sitter whenever we could since she so hated to travel. It just wasn't always possible.

Good luck!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I've never flown with a cat, but I have done road trips with cats. We had one who was a horrible traveler. We would be in the car for about thirty minutes, during which the cat talked nonstop. Then the cat - how to put this delicately - pretty much made a royal mess in the carrier which smelled to high heaven.

Now in a car, we could travel with loads of absorbent materials and make a stop ASAP to clean the mess. And after the first time, we learned to recognize the signs of impending doom.

What eventually helped her to become a better traveler was a vet's prescription for kitty Valium.

We did leave her at home with a sitter whenever we could since she so hated to travel. It just wasn't always possible.

Good luck!
Guess I should have trained him for air travel when he was just a kitten.

A few months ago, I was on a SFO-EWR flight. I was in the aisle seat and an elderly lady was in the window. Middle seat was empty and her cat was in the carrier under the seat under the middle seat in front. The cat made absolute no noise during the 5+ hour flight. Every couple of hours, the lady opened up the carrier and the cat would jump on the middle seat. She put a paper towel on the tray table and opened a can of food for the cat.(on a paper plate) The cat sat there and ate the food very neatly. Then... well.. I was shocked... after finishing his food, the cat jump down and went back into the carrier all by himself.... then the lady closed the door. That happened a couple of times. I was really amused. She told me that the cat was 15-years-old and had flown cross country at least twice a month since he was just 1.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:43 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Line the carrier with absorbent pads (puppy papers or the kind hospitals use) and do not give your cat water starting 6 hours before the flight or food (in case it might vomit) starting 10 hours before the flight. Your cat will be fine for the short trip you have. Don't feed it or give it water during the trip.

I moved my cat from the US to Cyprus and that involved 3 flights. She didn't wee at all the entire time. I traveled armed with a disposable litter box and some litter and took her out of the carrier in a restroom in the airport (a family restroom with no openings under the doors in case she decided to escape) during one of the layovers so that she could use the litter box - she did not. On the plane she was in the carrier the entire time but after takeoff I took the carrier out from under the seat and held it on my lap. I opened the zipper a bit to pet her and reassure her. She was just fine.

I suggest you buy a harness and leash for your cat and get it used to the harness before you fly. Then keep the harness and leash on when you go through security in case the cat decides to do a runner - you will have to take the cat out of the carrier and have the carrier x-rayed with your carry-ons. You will have to walk through the metal detector carrying the cat. Try to pick a line with few people so as to limit the stress to the cat. More than likely, the cat will be just a bit frightened and will let you hold on to him/her with no trouble.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

The only times we have flown with cats are when we were picking up a new kitten or moving. My wife flew from BOI to STL to bring home a Tonkinese kitten. A year later, we moved from STL to JAX area and we took one cat by air and one in a car. We never take our cats on vacation trips etc. I believe air travel is very stressful for them and they are better left at home or boarding unless it is a must travel situation.

A lot of god tips already noted above.
I would second the use of a harness for when you go through security. Years ago we almost had an issue with a cat freaking out when we took her out of the carrier to go through TSA screening. A harness is much harder for them to get out of than a regular collar.

We have found that they can pretty easily hold their urine for 5-6 hours if you limit (not eliminate) water consumption. They will not want to eliminate in the carrier so they will hold it.

We do not allow the cat out of the carrier while on an airplane. Sometimes my wife will pull the carrier out from under the seat, put it in her lap and open it just enough that the cat can stick it's head out for a head rub and a " look around" .
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I suggest you buy a harness and leash for your cat and get it used to the harness before you fly..
you just signed my death warrant...

some cats are not meant to be in a harness/leash... he's one of those.... believe me, I've tried since he was a kitten... he's normally a very docile and extremely friendly cat. Try putting a harness and/or leash on him, he becomes a real monster and will claw your eyes out.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
[quote]If needs to pee, what will I do? [/quote

It's not a question of if

it will

plan accordingly and tell your seatmate beforehand so they can de-plane
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you're thinking of kitty valium, do a test of it several days beforehand. Some cats have enough self-awareness that sedation freaks them out because things don't feel right rather than calming them down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.