Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Pet in Cabin with Either Korean or Asiana

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Membership Rewards, Chase

Hello, I am doing my research way in advance for a trip from San Francisco to Manila in Jun 2018. I've read here that only Asiana and Korean will allow dogs in cabin so my family will be sticking with either one of these carriers. We have a small maltese-poodle mix who weighs 7 pounds and will definitely fall under the weight/size limits.

My question is, has anyone had the experience of letting their pets out of their carriers for a short period of time to stretch and relieve themselves? We will be bring pads and will take them to the lavatory to relieve themselves but I just want to know if they've done this before. The flight from SFO to ICN alone is over 12 hours, plus another 4 hours between ICN and MNL. We will most likely be flying business class for the entire trip. We've never flown either one of these carriers before. We've heard great things about their service but have no first hand experience.

Also, will we be able to take the dog into the lounge at the airport (at SFO, ICN and MNL)?

Any insight will be much appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by ynif209
My question is, has anyone had the experience of letting their pets out of their carriers for a short period of time to stretch and relieve themselves? We will be bring pads and will take them to the lavatory to relieve themselves but I just want to know if they've done this before. The flight from SFO to ICN alone is over 12 hours, plus another 4 hours between ICN and MNL.
AFAIK no airline allows a pet out of the carrier during flight, and definitely not in the lavatory! Frankly I think letting your dog pee on the lav floor is disgusting and unfair to other passengers.

Here's what Asiana says in their pet regulations:
Pets should be kept in cages and should not be taken out during a flight for safety purposes.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, CDTraveler for your input.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
If you take the carrier into the lavatory and only let the dog out inside there, nobody will object.
Korean has two large accessible lavs on their new B747-8is (located on the lower deck between rows 37 and 38 in economy) which I believe will be the aircraft type used on the SFO-to-ICN route come June 2018. Asiana has one spacious accessible bathroom on the A350s flying between SFO and ICN (the middle one among the forward block of lavs, located between rows 27 and 28 DEG, also in economy). These handicapped bathrooms are a lot larger than the regular ones and should be large enough for allowing the animal a break. You may use those even when travelling in First or business.
Other than that, it largely depends on the cabin crew. Letting the animal out during flight may or may not be tolerated. Some crews look the other way / will not interfere if animals are well-behaved. Ask first! I only have limited experience, but KE let me have a dog out of its carrier flying on an A380 in a lightly loaded business classs cabin.
I have taken 12+-hour flights with dogs, and if you time things right you might well get by without a potty break. Have him/her 'go' at the airport directly before boarding the flight. SFO has pet relief areas both outdoors before security and indoors after security (in T1, near Gate 43).

The layover in ICN on both airlines (over 2 hours) is long enough to take him/her outside for a walk. This necessitates 'immigrating' into Korea, which is relatively unproblematic (USDA-vet issued/endorsed health cert, microchip, rabies titer test if originating from the USA). ICN does NOT have post-security animal relief areas.

Dogs (in carriers) are allowed in lounges in SFO and ICN. Don't know about MNL.

Last edited by bhomburg; May 7, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old May 7, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
If you take the carrier into the lavatory and only let the dog out inside there, nobody will object.
That is so very wrong.

It's contrary to airline rules.

I've see FA's inform passengers that they can not take the pet carrier out from under the seat and carry it around.

There's quite a few articles/posts (including here on FT) about how utterly disgusting it is for people to allow their pets to mess in the lavs on planes - clearly other pax and the crew have objected to people using the lavs as a place for their pets to urinate and defecate on the floor.

Line the carrier with absorbent pads, diaper the animal, but don't take to the lav meant for PEOPLE.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
That is so very wrong.
It's contrary to airline rules.
I've see FA's inform passengers that they can not take the pet carrier out from under the seat and carry it around.

There's quite a few articles/posts (including here on FT) about how utterly disgusting it is for people to allow their pets to mess in the lavs on planes - clearly other pax and the crew have objected to people using the lavs as a place for their pets to urinate and defecate on the floor.

Line the carrier with absorbent pads, diaper the animal, but don't take to the lav meant for PEOPLE.
That is absolutely correct; and upon re-reading I think I misunderstood what OP wanted to do.

To clarify - if the dog needs to "go" during the flight, let it happen inside the (puppy-pad-lined) carrier. Then, and only then - especially with "#2" odors around - take the carrier to the lav to clean up/change out the pads. Place the soiled ones in trash bags (ziploc-type bags that are strong and seal well are best, bring some!) and give that to the crew for disposal in a discrete manner rather than try to squeeze the mess into the towel disposal opening in there. Always inform the crew about what happened, they'll gladly assist you (and clean/disinfect the lav right after you).
Old May 11, 2017, 4:30 pm

+1 with what CDTraveler and bhomburg said.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

That is absolutely correct; and upon re-reading I think I misunderstood what OP wanted to do.

To clarify - if the dog needs to "go" during the flight, let it happen inside the (puppy-pad-lined) carrier. Then, and only then - especially with "#2" odors around - take the carrier to the lav to clean up/change out the pads. Place the soiled ones in trash bags (ziploc-type bags that are strong and seal well are best, bring some!) and give that to the crew for disposal in a discrete manner rather than try to squeeze the mess into the towel disposal opening in there. Always inform the crew about what happened, they'll gladly assist you (and clean/disinfect the lav right after you).
Thank you everyone. If we ever let the dog out in the lavatory we will definitely make sure it is done on pads, never on the floor. We love our pet but we are not inconsiderate of other people. Thats is why I'm doing the research waaay before even booking our trip. Good to know there are pet relief areas at SFO and ICN, that might be all our pet needs for the trip. Dogs in the lounge in the carrier is good to know too.=)

Thank you!
Old May 13, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ynif209
Good to know there are pet relief areas at SFO and ICN, that might be all our pet needs for the trip.
Although there's various gardens inside the terminal, these are not usable for pet relief purposes . There is no pet relief area available to transit passengers inside security at Incheon. You and the dog will need to pass immigration and exit the terminal order to give the animal a potty walk during the layover. ICN (rightfully) boasts about being a very efficient airport, so the time you'll have will be more than sufficient for this.
There's grassy, tree-lined patches directly next to the terminal buildings separating the terminal from parking areas. Best in area "C".

However, there's a new terminal currently under construction where Korean is supposed to move once it is completed later this year so things may well be change until your flight, especially when booking KE.

As far as selecting airlines goes, the main difference between Korean and Asiana is their seating layout. Eschewing the prevailing trend towards 1-2-1 seating that Asiana (like most other airlines) has adopted for their newer premium cabins, Korean opted to install seat pairs (2-2-2) in even their newest configurations. This is better if you travel with a companion. You can put the carrier with the dog between the seats.
Traveling on your own, Asiana is the better choice. Select a window seat with the seat facing the aisle. You can place the carrier between the window and your seat - very private, and always within reach, even when in lie-flat mode.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Although there's various gardens inside the terminal, these are not usable for pet relief purposes . There is no pet relief area available to transit passengers inside security at Incheon. You and the dog will need to pass immigration and exit the terminal order to give the animal a potty walk during the layover. ICN (rightfully) boasts about being a very efficient airport, so the time you'll have will be more than sufficient for this.
There's grassy, tree-lined patches directly next to the terminal buildings separating the terminal from parking areas. Best in area "C".

However, there's a new terminal currently under construction where Korean is supposed to move once it is completed later this year so things may well be change until your flight, especially when booking KE.

As far as selecting airlines goes, the main difference between Korean and Asiana is their seating layout. Eschewing the prevailing trend towards 1-2-1 seating that Asiana (like most other airlines) has adopted for their newer premium cabins, Korean opted to install seat pairs (2-2-2) in even their newest configurations. This is better if you travel with a companion. You can put the carrier with the dog between the seats.
Traveling on your own, Asiana is the better choice. Select a window seat with the seat facing the aisle. You can place the carrier between the window and your seat - very private, and always within reach, even when in lie-flat mode.

Thank you so much! So helpful!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:05 pm

Hi!

I'm doing research too for flights that allow pet in the cabin. My route will be CGK-YVR via ICN if I take Korean Air. My dog is an 8 year old maltipoo, she has separation anxiety hence the vet does not recommend her to travel as checked baggage. Anyone has experience more or less similar route? From S.E Asia to North America?

I have checked Air Canada, and according to some Economy Class is way too tight to bring dog in the cabin, but they don't allow pets in Business / Premium Econ.

Air France / Lufthansa / KLM does not fly from CGK, and I have to connect with other flight first to SIN, which is hassle and the transit time is too long.

Please help! Any suggestions? Thank you
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:38 am

The only one-stop, one-airline option that allows pets in the cabin on this route is with Korean Air. This only works if your dog weighs less than 5 kg, as that is the weight limit they impose. I would only pursue other options if your animal weighs significantly more than that limit.
Edit: due to flight timings, layovers in Seoul will be quite long (11+hours), so make sure you have all the paperwork to enter Korea with her for some outdoor break.

Air Canada allows animals in the cabin and only has carrier size limits (55*40*27 cm) but does not fly to CGK, so you will have to get to one of the destinations they serve like ICN, TPE or NRT. They do have very tight seating in the economy cabins of the 787s they serve those destinations with and all nicer cabins are indeed off-limits with animals. You would need to purchase an extra seat for a semi-comfortable flight with a pet carrier.

If you can get to SIN, flying Delta from there (via Tokyo and Seattle) is another option, albeit a more inconvenient one due to two stops, plus transiting the US. Delta allows pets in the cabin, and their "economy comfort" seating with extra legroom is OK with pet carriers while not breaking the bank. Allowed carrier sizes vary dependent on aircraft, check this thread, call them and ask.

Last edited by bhomburg; Jun 30, 2017 at 7:46 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:06 pm

Hey bhomburg, thanks for replyin.

I have been reconsidering if I should just take Air Canada because it has the shortest flight with layover in NRT for an hour and total fly time would be 17hrs to reach YVR.

Just wondering if my pet will be in cabin for both legs or the first leg from CGK-NRT she would have to be checked in? It is Air Canada but operated by ANA.
And I have checked that if I purchase seats with more leg room usually its at the Exit and AC dont allow pets on those seats

And say if I do checked my dog as checked baggage for the first leg, how do I pick her up at NRT?

Please do share your experience with this. I am very stressed and anxious about this.

Thanks a lot
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:46 am

your proposed ANA/Air Canada routing will not work.
ANA does not accept pets in the cabin - you will have to check the crate. Animals are never interlined, and your one-hour connection in NRT is too short to retrieve the kennel and re-check it with Air Canada.
Even with a longer connection, you will need to check the animal for the trip to NRT, and retrieve it there before re-checking with AC. This means passing through immigration and customs - you need to adhere to all regulations regarding animal import to Japan including permits and all.
Air Canada's 787s are a royal pain with pet carriers. You simply do not have enough space unless you have (purchase) a second seat to place the carrier. All extra legroom seating is either bulkheads, exit rows or premium cabins, all of which are off limits to passengers with cabin pets.
I would not fly AC at all.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:26 pm

Ok, now that you've mentioned it I guess I have to cross off Air Canada from the list.
That left me with Korean Air or Delta. I checked Delta's route from CGK, 2 transits with long layover. If I take the shortest flight still would not be possible as the route CGK-HND will be operated by GA flights and they do not allow dogs either in cabin or checked.

Korean Air will be my only option I guess though I'm worried that my dog will not be allowed in the cabin as she's 7kg before the carrier.

Is there any pets hotel in ICN? Layover for 10 something hours with a dog would not be pleasant if there's no pet-friendly place for my pet to pee.

Thanks for the reply bhomburg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.