Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Pet in Cabin with Either Korean or Asiana

Pet in Cabin with Either Korean or Asiana

Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I have found Korean to be rather lax with enforcing the weight limit, and had a dog accepted that weighed 6.6kgs plus the carrier without any raised eyebrows. YMMV, though.
There is pet-friendly hotels in Incheon - see my recommendation in this post.

Remember that your dog will need to adhere to all Korean animal import rules (USDA vet-issued/endorsed health cert, rabies antibody titer test, ISO-compliant microchip), as you will have to enter Korea for an outdoor break during your layover. See them all listed nicely here.
The blood test takes some time to get done, so don't wait until right before travel.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:04 am

I have contacted an agency in Jakarta who does export permit and health cert for dogs. They mentioned that if I exit at ICN, the permit & health cert will state that my final destination is ICN. I will need another health certificate from Korean Vet to continue flying the next day to YVR.

I am assuming that I have to go through immigration to go to the hotel that you have suggested?

Anyone in Indonesia mind sharing your experience please...... about bringing dog in cabin and how do you deal with the transit, permit, etc?

I'm really considering to just bring my dog as checked baggage with ANA/JAL.

help!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:13 am

Hey bhomburg,

Have you flown with Delta and bring your pets? I've searched around and I think for now my best option is Delta.

I was looking at their requirements & restrictions and it seems to be more relax than the other asian flights. I am looking at Delta Comfort+ with route CGK-ICN-SEA-YVR
but CGK-ICN is operated by Korean Air. In case my dog get rejected for in cabin when check in at the airport in CGK, ( to assume the worst ) I will be preparing her for checked baggage.

My question is, since I will be connecting in Seoul for 11hrs, and if she's checked as baggage, where do I claim her? Will I need to go through immigration to pick her up at the luggage collection or.. there's an alternative? Like an agent will deliver it to me when I land in ICN without having me to go through immigration?

I went to Korean Air office here in Jakarta and they have not been very helpful and were not able to answer my questions. Also I have contacted Delta and the customer service said there should not be any problem for my dog to fly in cabin for ICN-SEA-YVR route but for CGK-ICN, I have to call Korean Air.

Sorry to bother with so many questions. It will be my first and last time flying with my dog transpacific. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:44 am

That sounds like a sound plan. However, follow up with emails to Delta to make sure that your dog can fly in the cabin on that route and day before you buy your tickets. Delta has aircraft-dependent restrictions on kennel size and cabin pet travel that aren't published.
The agent was correct in that you need to contact Korean for the CGK-ICN segment of your trip. Animals are never interlined between airlines, and at ICN you will need to reclaim her from Korean and recheck with Delta.

If your dog travels as checked baggage with Korean, you will have to retrieve her from the oversize baggage belt in the regular baggage claim area. You will have to pass through immigration and customs (make sure your dog fulfills all the requirements to enter Korea) so you can recheck her with Delta. There is no alternative to this, unless you would fly her cargo all the way.

I haven't flown with animals on Delta since the merger with Northwest...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:35 pm

Hey bhomburg thanks so much for the reply.

I have finally booked a ticket with KLM. I have changed the route to CGK-YUL via AMS 9h 20m transit. It's the best choice for my dog because the weight limit is 8kg and she will be able to fly in cabin. My dog will be 7.7kg with the carrier. Do you happen to know if KLM have any specific brand or iata approved carrier? Because I am in Indonesia, there's not much option for soft carrier.

I read that Schiphol is a pretty pet-friendly airport, though it has mixed reviews about we can let the dog out walking on a leash inside the transit area.

Last edited by cynthiag; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:24 am

You are aware that the KLM flight is not a nonstop flight but makes a 90-minute stop in KUL where you have to get off the aircraft? The nonstop flights are all codeshares on Garuda who do not allow animals in the cabin.
Get a seat in the economy comfort section on both legs. You'll appreciate the extra legroom with a pet carrier. The bulkhead seats are not an option with a carrier. Although they offer extra legroom you can't be seated there when with a pet.

You can walk around Schiphol with her on a leash. She does not have to be in a carrier inside the airport. There should not be 'mixed reviews': Schiphol officially allows pets on a leash inside the airport terminal buildings.

However, AMS does not have airside pet relief facilities. You will have to pass immigration and customs for her to get outside for a break. Which means the full EU paperwork - including rabies titer blood test by an approved lab - is needed for her. Getting this requires about four months of time.
Of course, you may try to leave the transit area with her even without the required EU paperwork and will likely succeed, but that's not guaranteed and simply depends on the customs agent you encounter (or not).
I would not count on this to work. You might ask at the transit desk if she could be taken care of at KLMs 'animal hotel' transit facility. This normally is only for animals transported as baggage or cargo, but they may be able to arrange something - I know someone who was able to get an in-cabin animal transferred there for an overnight stay when KLM cancelled his onward flight many years ago.
There's two airside transit hotels at Schiphol, but neither the Mercure nor the Yotel allow pets. The Mercure was a pain to get in even with a genuine service animal.

KLM doesn't sell branded pet carriers like some other airlines do. Get a medium- or large- sized sherpa or similar soft-sided one where your dog comfortably fits in which can be squished to fit under the seat in front for takeoff and landing.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:25 am

hey bhomburg, I am aware that Garuda doesn't accept dogs in cabin / as checked baggage. My itinerary still shows that I'll have a short stop in KUL but the flight is operated by KLM. I hope there's no problem on the day that I leave. I have attached my itinerary just to make sure that I booked the correct flight. Is it a hassle to have a short stop at KUL with a pet?

That's good to hear that now they allow pets to walk on leash inside the transit area. I asked KLM about the pet hotel but they won't be able to accommodate my needs because my dog will be flying in cabin, then she will have to stay inside.

Thanks a lot bhomburg, really helpful !
Attached Images  
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:28 am

You did get the correct KL metal flight. Apparently, you even stay on board during the stop in KUL (I asked a coworker who flew his flight before, and he said everyone stayed on board). You will not really be able to leave first the plane and then the terminal to go outside, however.
Which is why I personally would not have booked this itinerary with an in-cabin animal.
See, CGK-KUL is a bit over two hours, plus the 90-minute stop, plus the 12-hour KUL-AMS flight, plus at least an hour between check-in and departure at CGK and at least half an hour (if you're lucky and don't get stopped by customs in AMS) between landing and stepping outside in AMS is a total of about 17 hours your dog will be without an outdoor option to relieve herself. That's a very long time, and especially since this seems to be the first time doing this for both of you, be prepared for an 'accident' to occur.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:24 pm

So, I have completed my journey bringing a dog from CGK to YUL via AMS. She hold her pee til AMS. I know it is not the best for her to do that and I put on diaper in case there's an accident but she managed to hold it.

2nd leg from AMS to YUL she's alright too, peed at the airport toilet twice before departure.

KLM was pretty chill with the process. At CGK they dont check size of the carrier as well as her weight. I got lucky because they were having problems with the scale. I have to disembark at KUL, go through security check and back to waiting room. No problem too.

Took my dog to sleep on my lap and the stewardess doesnt seem to know theres a dog in the aircraft. Nobody complained. I would recommend KLM and choosing the Economy Comfort, definitely worth it.. Plenty of leg space.
bhomburg and ynif209 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:06 pm

Hi @cynthiag so glad to read your travelling experience journey with the dog, Ive been searching about the similar route as you, you sheds some light on this matter, thank you!

Recently I have been searching about CGK - YYZ trip with dog in cabin, and as far as I know only Korean Air and KLM that allows pet in cabin. Too bad EVA do not share the same rules as I am much more familiar to it.

I have several question if you dont mind though, did you quarantine the dog before departing from CGK? How long was it? And how about when you arrive, did YUL quarantine the dog?

And what type of pet carrier that you had? Can it fit to the space below the passenger seat? Happy to know there is an economy comfort option available.

Cheers
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:35 pm

Hey @Mintyink,

Just to let you know that exporting an animal out of Indonesia, you will need an export permit issued by ministry of Agriculture. There is no need to quarantine your dog when they're exiting the country. It only applies when you're importing one to Indonesia.
To get the permit, I contacted Jakpetz and paid around CAD 450 for their service. They will get the permit as well as accompanying you to go through the first security check and then check-in counter at CGK. After that you'll be on your own to the immigration and another security check before waiting room. If you're traveling alone, it will be quite complicated so better travel light.

As for Canada, they're pretty relax with the regulations. There's no quarantine needed for dogs entering Canada but you need to give rabies vaccine to your dog at least two months before departure. Consult with your vet. Canada checked all the yearly vaccines my dog had since she was born til the recent one. After that you're asked to pay CAD 35 for processing fee and then you're good to go.

I bought my pet carrier at Pet Kingdom Alam Sutera. It fits fine on KLM Economy Comfort, there's still some space for our legs to move around. But when I fly from AMS to YUL, I was in Economy and it was pretty tight. CGK-AMS, my dog slept on my lap when the lights were off, and 2 hours before landing, I put her back to the carrier. Since it is a 3 seater, my husband asked the passenger next to him, if he's allergic to dogs and if he minds if we took our dog out. Luckily, he's alright with it.

Make sure to book your ticket one month before, try not to get code-share flights. Fully operated by KLM all the way to your destination is the best option and immediately contact KLM via Facebook to confirm that you will be bringing a pet in cabin. They will ask you few questions such as:
- Dimensions of the carrier
- Breed of dog
- Total weight of dog with the carrier

And after all of that is confirmed, 3 days before your departure, make sure to call KLM Jakarta's office to confirm again that they have it in their system that you'll be bringing pet-in-cabin. I really recommend taking KLM, they're not as fussy as other asian airlines. Good luck!

PS. I attached pictures of my dog.
Left was when she's at CGK at the check-in counter
Right was taken inside the plane CGK-AMS via KUL

Last edited by cynthiag; Sep 27, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:12 pm

Hi @cynthiag

Thanks for the replies, as far as I know there should be a vet letter stating the dog's health condition for flight too yeah? Wow thanks for your recommendation, Jakpetz looks great (checked on their insta page), I will have a look on their service 😊

So relieved to know they wont be put on quarantine, cant really imagine the suffering. My dog is not used to be caged at all so guess that he will need some training to get use to. Once again, thanks for all this, I will carefully look for each one of them. Glad you've arrived safely, hope your dog can adapt easily and is doing well. Lol great photos! He looks so chill at AMS. Im following you on insta btw, mine is @Milothecaptainpoodle
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:13 pm

Hi everyone, I don't know if the people at the start of this forum are still active here, but I thought I'd ask this question anyway. I will be flying Asiana Airlines with my miniature dachshund on October 16th route MNL-ICN-LAX. I don't plan on leaving Incheon airport. My question is, do I have to do comply with the import pet requirements for South Korean even though I will only be transiting through? Any information helps, thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:36 am

As long as you stay in the transit area of the airport, you (and your dog) aren't technically entering Korea, and no immigration requirements apply.
However, if I'd be traveling this route with a dog, I'd plan on getting outside during the layover and do everything necessary to be compliant with the requirements. ICN has no pet relief areas in the transit area, and since this will be a close-to-20-hour journey from check-in at MNL to stepping outside at LAX, I'm sure the dog would favor a potty walk there.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
As long as you stay in the transit area of the airport, you (and your dog) aren't technically entering Korea, and no immigration requirements apply.
However, if I'd be traveling this route with a dog, I'd plan on getting outside during the layover and do everything necessary to be compliant with the requirements. ICN has no pet relief areas in the transit area, and since this will be a close-to-20-hour journey from check-in at MNL to stepping outside at LAX, I'm sure the dog would favor a potty walk there.
Thanks for the Info! Will definitely take her out for a break at ICN. Hopefully my 2hr layover is long enough to get out and back in. Also anyone reading this, as of September 1st, 2017 Asiana Airlines updated their in-cabin pet weight limit to 7kg ~15lbs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.