Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying with a medium-sized dog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience taking a medium-sized dog (about 35 pounds) on a flight? We're looking at flying from New York to Austin. I have a fair amount of Chase UR points and Amex MR that I can use.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I have been flying with my pets for years without any difficulty Under 12 pounds they have been able to go in the cabin under the seat. Your pet will have to fly in the hull but it is climate controlled. With my larger pets, i have also found it quite acceptable. You will have to pay for the pet but can use the points for your travel.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
NYC-AUS is serviced nonstop by B6, UA, DL and AA. B6 doesn't transport animals as cargo and your 35lb pooch is over their cabin limit. The dog will be over the cabin limit for all of those airlines. But you'll want to see which has the best schedule for you and the fees associated. I think they generally range form $100-$150 USD.

You can't pay with points (converted to miles) for the pet fee but you can use the points towards the flight and/or use the points to pay for the fee as credit against your statement balance. Or if your Amex or Chase card offer a travel credit the pet fee can be applied to that. For example the Amex PRG has a $100 annual airline fee reimbursement.

FT has a traveling with pets forum that may provide you with more info.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Be sure to check the airline's pet policy before you book anything. Depending on the time of year and dep/arr location, some airlines have embargoes regarding transporting pets during weather extremes.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The animal is too big to travel in the cabin and has to go in the hold.
I presume you are flying yourself, and the dog should accompany you.
The only airline with nonstop flights between NYC and Austin accepting dogs as checked baggage is American. JetBlue only allows smaller animals in the cabin, Delta and United do not accept dogs as checked baggage but make you use their cargo services ('PetSafe') at vastly higher prices, and Alaska's flight is actually operated by American .
The fee to fly your dog there on AA is $200 one way, which cannot be paid with miles/points.
View AAs animal transport policies here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp

Tips:
- As AA strictly adheres to their published temperature policies and NY winters can get really cold, get an acclimatization certificate from your vet that covers the maximum permissible temperature (20 degrees).
- Allow for flexibility in case of really low temperatures. AA will rebook with no fees if the dog can't travel on a given day.
There is just one nonstop a day (Flight 2675), which leaves JFK at 5:30 pm. Of course, there's lots of connecting itineraries, but nonstops are definitely better with animals in the hold.
- Be at the airport early. Policy used to be 120 minutes prior to departure, and although the wording on the website has been changed to a generic "allow extra check-in time" about a year ago, staff will scoff at you when getting there later than 120 minutes prior to departure.

Last edited by bhomburg; Dec 4, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we move this thread to the Travel with Pets forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.