Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet relocation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Pet relocation

Has anyone used any pet relocation services? Trying to figure out the most efficient route of getting our dog from PA to TX and flying him with us would be difficult to manage logistically.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
post here maybe someone needs a mileage run

Seriously.

Originally Posted by thelark
Has anyone used any pet relocation services? Trying to figure out the most efficient route of getting our dog from PA to TX and flying him with us would be difficult to manage logistically.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
PM me. I might have some solutions for you as far as volunteer transports to get him back to you. Usually, they are used to move shelter dogs to rescues or adopters, but in some cases, they are used to reunite owners and pets.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
Seriously.
If the dog is too big to fly in cabin, it could be that the OP doesn't want the dog transported as cargo, or that they are quite far from an airport, etc.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Of course I don't know the answer

But when the OP Stated it was difficult to manage flying with them logistically, I assumed perhaps erroneously that flying was okay but flying with them would be difficult.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
But when the OP Stated it was difficult to manage flying with them logistically, I assumed perhaps erroneously that flying was okay but flying with them would be difficult.
I assumed that the dog was perhaps not well-suited to fly as cargo, or claiming the dog at the airport was going to be an issue.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

To clarify, the dog is too large for the cabin (though only ~35 lbs). The logistics challenges outside of that relate to:

- traveling with 3 children under age 5
- hotel stays/rental vehicles while our stuff is en route
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
To clarify, the dog is too large for the cabin (though only ~35 lbs). The logistics challenges outside of that relate to:

- traveling with 3 children under age 5
- hotel stays/rental vehicles while our stuff is en route
Crikey! No wonder you want to find an alternate method for the dog. Good luck! PM kipper.

Cheers.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Have you posted to the Roadie phone app? You post the gig and how much you're willing to pay, and people bid on it.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Have you checked with the airline? They may be able to set you up with a kennel at the destination until you are ready to pick up the dog. I never flew my dogs, but I used to use a kennel near DTW that had an arrangement with either the airport or airlines to take care of pets that misconnected, had overnight layovers, etc.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999
Have you checked with the airline? They may be able to set you up with a kennel at the destination until you are ready to pick up the dog. I never flew my dogs, but I used to use a kennel near DTW that had an arrangement with either the airport or airlines to take care of pets that misconnected, had overnight layovers, etc.
The biggest challenge we have is that we're departing BWI in the middle of January - temperature (i.e. too cold) is a bit of a gamble and not something that we want to risk.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: BA
The biggest challenge we have is that we're departing BWI in the middle of January - temperature (i.e. too cold) is a bit of a gamble and not something that we want to risk.
Could you do it the other way round then? I mean all depart BWI on the same day (more or less) and have someone else collect in TX, or have the dog board with a pet shipping company? We had similar issues planning our relocation from Australia back to the UK, so our Retriever is flying out of BNE a week ahead of us and being collected in LHR by a family member while we relocate with the 4 kids and deal with all the associated crap that moving countries involves .

A decent pet shipping company should have proper facilities to care for the animals in case of extreme weather (if extreme weather is normal, anyway!)

Good luck!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to bump this thread and give a huge thanks Kipper and Mr. Kipper who were so helpful I can't even begin to describe. Just wonderful people who went so far out of their way to help someone they barely knew. My family has really been touched by their kindness.

If you're ever in the DFW area please give me a shout - you're always welcome for a beer (or several!)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: BA
Just wanted to bump this thread and give a huge thanks Kipper and Mr. Kipper who were so helpful I can't even begin to describe. Just wonderful people who went so far out of their way to help someone they barely knew. My family has really been touched by their kindness.

If you're ever in the DFW area please give me a shout - you're always welcome for a beer (or several!)
^
Great news, glad you got sorted out!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:18 am

Whistler is so sweet and cuddly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.