Wiki Posts
Search

pets on board

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
pets on board

I flew DTW-OKC last week in the run up to pre holiday. Lots of college kids on board

I have to say that it seemed like a kennel on board - 2 dogs and a cat. Amazingly none of them came on board in a pet carrier and didn't get put in one at any time. It was a smaller aircraft run by expressJet

one snappy little dog sat behind me and barked at the FA when she placed her hand anywhere near her - and the unrelated pax sitting next to the woman. didn't bother me but if I was sitting next to snappy dog out of the carrier might be a different story. I certainly wouldn't be like the FA and laugh it off

the cat stayed in the woman's lap the whole time along with the other dog

I know that pets are allowed on board but there should be some limited enforcement of the rules. Every pet owner says the pet is very tame but that always isn't the case at 30,000 feet
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'm not sure I've ever seen a cat on board not in a carrier...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why limited enforcement? If it's a pet, it stays in the carrier and the carrier stays closed throughout the flight.

However, the same rules don't apply to service animals, although their behavior is not supposed to cause disruptions. Barking and snapping at the FA and seatmate should not have been allowed.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Were they "support" animals? I have never seen a "support" cat but wouldn't be surprised either.

Also, if they were not "support" animals they should have been in the carrier and they would have been limited to 2 per cabin (IIRC).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by tfred
Every pet owner says the pet is very tame but that always isn't the case at 30,000 feet
Also, the inside of a metal tube at 30k feet is likely/hopefully a very different environment than what most pets are used to, and their behavior may be unpredictable even if they're the laziest, most tame creatures at home.

As a dog owner and enthusiastic supporter of pets and their owners, also count me in the group wanting strict enforcement of the pet-in-cabin rules. Inside a carrier is safest for both the pet and the human passengers.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:56 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
As a dog owner and enthusiastic supporter of pets and their owners, also count me in the group wanting strict enforcement of the pet-in-cabin rules. Inside a carrier is safest for both the pet and the human passengers.
That is the key that many owners forget. If a dog, in a stressful environment, bites a passenger or FA the owner may be liable for a large civil settlement. Worse, the owner may be forced to surrender the animal to local authorities for destruction. A dog in a carrier (or on leash when walking) is the safest option for everyone, dog included.

Dogs are animals first and pets second. Even the best trained dogs can be unpredictable in stressful environments. An example of a well-trained dog acting unpredictably occurred in Atlanta last year when a TSA sniffer dog bit a woman at baggage claim.
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...sfield-jackson
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:43 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Barking and snapping at the FA and seatmate should not have been allowed.
Sorry, but, HUH?!?

Dog: Bark Bark! BARK!

Owner: Now Fido, please don't bark at the nice lady who's trying to serve me some delicious Biscoff cookies!

How does one tell their dog that "this is not allowed"?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Training?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by gooselee
Also, the inside of a metal tube at 30k feet is likely/hopefully a very different environment than what most pets are used to, and their behavior may be unpredictable even if they're the laziest, most tame creatures at home.

Same here.

During domestic travel last month, I saw two dogs that were never in a carrier nor were carriers in view and no indication they were 'comfort/support' pets.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Training?
Bingo.

Unfortunately, way too many people fail to train their pets in even the most basic manners.

I would put money on over 75% of all dogs out in public not being properly leash trained.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
. . . . . no indication they were 'comfort/support' pets.
I was going thru Customs in ATL last week on the way back from MEX, and I was chatting with a woman in front of me walking thru the Customs line who had 2 tiny dogs in one soft-style carrier. I told her that I thought DL had a policy of only one dog per flight (or something like that), and she replied . . . .

"Oh, one of them is a 'Comfort Animal'" - and kinda / sorta - grinned / winked at me.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
The airlines are in a Catch-22. The government lets liars call anything a "comfort animal" - yeah, for the one person really, really "needing" such an animal, there are dozens or hundreds lying. Passengers with severe dander allergies rank lower than the person "needing" the confort animal. So, the airlines let people go to extremes with their "pets" in fear of government retaliation. Because of the government sincerely trying to help a FEW people, MANY others are negatively affected. Animal conduct on board is one factor, but the mere fact they are there is a larger factor. The baggage hold is the place for animals.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:53 pm

ATL to FLL a month ago had a cockatoo in the seat in front of me. He was actually very well behaved. I got a picture.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by relangford
The airlines are in a Catch-22. The government lets liars call anything a "comfort animal" - yeah, for the one person really, really "needing" such an animal, there are dozens or hundreds lying. Passengers with severe dander allergies rank lower than the person "needing" the confort animal. So, the airlines let people go to extremes with their "pets" in fear of government retaliation. Because of the government sincerely trying to help a FEW people, MANY others are negatively affected. Animal conduct on board is one factor, but the mere fact they are there is a larger factor. The baggage hold is the place for animals.
Don't like it, call your congressman and try to get the ADA amended.

Airlines (or anyone) aren't allowed to question a disability, nor ask for certification in regards to service animals.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is really not DL specific I am moving the Thread to the Travel With Pets Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.