Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Newb Question: US domestic flights with Pets

Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond

When trying to fly United with my dogs for the past couple of years, I have been consistently told by United Sales Staff that I cannot fly with the dogs because it is too cold (in the winter) or too hot (in the summer). I am naturally speaking of flying with the dogs in kennels in the baggage hold.

Is this just stone walling or are the holds really not safe for animals except in spring and fall? Any suggestions or alternatives? Driving from Portland OR to Boston MA, while beautiful, is not really practical.

EDIT: I should add that International flights (generally FRA or DUS to BOS and back) in the winter and summer have not been problems.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
IMHO there have been too many incidents with pets flying in the cargo hold during those times of the year which made the airline take this stance. Better safe than sorry! @:-)
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by chuffer
When trying to fly United with my dogs for the past couple of years, I have been consistently told by United Sales Staff that I cannot fly with the dogs because it is too cold (in the winter) or too hot (in the summer). I am naturally speaking of flying with the dogs in kennels in the baggage hold.

Is this just stone walling or are the holds really not safe for animals except in spring and fall? Any suggestions or alternatives? Driving from Portland OR to Boston MA, while beautiful, is not really practical.
It's not just the time in the hold that matters. Animals flying in the hold often are treated just like any other cargo and might sit outside on a baggage cart in the freezing cold or broiling heat for more time than is safe for them.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:35 am

Google.

There are people who transport pets in their own vehicles (mostly vans) from point A to point B. Not cheap but better than air.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:28 pm
Suspended

So, there isn't any way to take your pet with you on a flight? I have a small Pomeranian and I was going to bring him with me to my parents place this summer. Am I better off finding a dog sitter?
Old May 23, 2013, 8:32 am

OP was referring to pets in the cargo hold. You can also bring your pet in the cabin if you follow the rules of your specific airline. I found this guide regarding domestic air travel with pets - http://www.dogjaunt.com/guides/us-airline-pet-policies/

Be sure to check with your airline before you purchase the ticket as the rules can change and many have a limit on the number of pets on each flight. I imagine a small Pomeranian would fit in the appropriate-sized carrier. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.