Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

URGENT Q - can I take dead dog from LHR to SYD to bury?

Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I am very sorry this may be a question on the wrong forum. But, please help if you know the answer. We brought our dog from Australia to UK at the beginning of this year - he is 10 years old. Recently he has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and liver problems. Vet just phoned to say new blood tests were really bad and she wanted us to make a decision very soon. Our dog is currently at home, having food and medication fed down a surgically inserted feeding tube. I have been crying my heart out to God. However, hubby is flying back to Australia with BA to HK, then QF to Sydney. We would like to know if he could take our "baby" back with him to bury him in our back yard in Sydney - where our other beloved pets rest in peace. If anyone knows the answer, please share. Thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Australia has some of the strictest quarantine laws so I think the answer to this might not be the one you want. Check the australian quarantine website?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I cannot answer the question, but as someone with 11 dogs I know that saying goodbye to them (and knowing when to say goodbye) is the hardest, hardest thing. You have my sympathy at this most difficult time.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I cannot answer the question, but as someone with 11 dogs I know that saying goodbye to them (and knowing when to say goodbye) is the hardest, hardest thing. You have my sympathy at this most difficult time.

Very well said, my thoughts are with the OP and the OPs family

cs
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:08 am

Not sure about your options regarding bringing a dead dog into Australia. A government website or Qantas might have more detailed information.

Perhaps cremating in the UK and having them ship the ashes to Australia would be an easier and more affordable option?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
I feel extremely sorry for you - I went through the experience not too long ago.

I can't really help with quarantine rules though...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by A1pax
I am very sorry this may be a question on the wrong forum. But, please help if you know the answer. We brought our dog from Australia to UK at the beginning of this year - he is 10 years old. Recently he has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and liver problems. Vet just phoned to say new blood tests were really bad and she wanted us to make a decision very soon. Our dog is currently at home, having food and medication fed down a surgically inserted feeding tube. I have been crying my heart out to God. However, hubby is flying back to Australia with BA to HK, then QF to Sydney. We would like to know if he could take our "baby" back with him to bury him in our back yard in Sydney - where our other beloved pets rest in peace. If anyone knows the answer, please share. Thank you.
I share the sympathy of other posts and empathy of those who have recently gone through the same thing.

I agree with the cremation suggestion. You could take the ashes with you and spread/bury them in the yard..

The journey could be most distressing for the dog.

Best wishes whatever you decide.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very sad to read this especially as our oldest dog is getting on for 15 now. Makes us think twice about organising holidays when they get to such an age.

Best to get in touch with BA or QF directly and find out how they handle such a thing. I'm sure it must be doable although the stumbling block might be the Australian authorities. Horrible situation for you.

will2288 suggestion regarding taking the ashes back is a very good one.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I'll move this over to the 'Travel with Pets' forum, where there's already been a similar question asked, and leave a redirect so posters on the BA forum can continue to follow the thread.

Oxon Flyer
BA forum mod team
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your replies. I have been delaying asking the dreadful question, but today vet said we have to make a decision and hubby is flying back to Australia this weekend.

I have googled to see if I could find anything useful. But, no good news. I did find an older post in this forum on a similar topic. Someone would like to bring a dead cat back to the US, but AA said no. So, I guess that was it. And, yes, Australia has the strictest quarantine regulations.

We are very distressed at the moment - trying to decide if we would say goodbye to our baby now, or wait till hubby getting back from Australia on Christmas day.

Appreciate all your prayers and thoughts at this time.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by will2288
Not sure about your options regarding bringing a dead dog into Australia. A government website or Qantas might have more detailed information.

Perhaps cremating in the UK and having them ship the ashes to Australia would be an easier and more affordable option?
This sounds like the best option.

Very sorry to hear about your pup.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

One forumite on this thread has offered us to lay our baby to rest in a special place he has for his beloved dogs. I will need to talk to hubby if he would like to take up this offer. Or, most of you have suggested to cremate our baby, and keep the ash at home here in London until we return to Australia one day. I think the airline should not have any problem with us taking the ash in the suitcase. We are going to miss him so much. We have been praying and crying every day for last 4 weeks.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by A1pax
One forumite on this thread has offered us to lay our baby to rest in a special place he has for his beloved dogs. I will need to talk to hubby if he would like to take up this offer. Or, most of you have suggested to cremate our baby, and keep the ash at home here in London until we return to Australia one day. I think the airline should not have any problem with us taking the ash in the suitcase. We are going to miss him so much. We have been praying and crying every day for last 4 weeks.
Saying goodbye to your dog which I had to do recently was the toughest thing I have ever had to do. It broke my heart but I knew it was the right thing to do as she was suffering terribly. I decided to cremate my Angel's remains so no matter where I move to she would always be with me. My thoughts are with you at this terrible time.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Saying goodbye to your dog which I had to do recently was the toughest thing I have ever had to do. It broke my heart but I knew it was the right thing to do as she was suffering terribly. I decided to cremate my Angel's remains so no matter where I move to she would always be with me. My thoughts are with you at this terrible time.
Thank you so much, everyone for your comforting and kind words.

We said our last goodbye to our beloved dog today. Hubby, I and our other dog were all there at the vet when he passed away. We held him and cried our hearts out. We miss him so much. My tears have been flowing for him all day - and will be for weeks to come. Since we are living in London on a work visa, so we have decided to have him cremated and will take his ashes back to Australia when we return permanently. Hubby is now at airport waiting for his flights back to Australia to visit his elderly mother. I wished he could take our baby's remains back to Sydney to bury him in our backyard - as our dog grew up there for 9 years, and he only lived in London with us for 10 months. But, we do understand that airlines and Australian quarantine will not allow this to happen.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My condolences. This past week I visited my departed family dog in my parent's backyard with their new pup. The 30th will be his 1 year anniversary. Burying your pup in your yard will be nice for you. Do it together when you return so you're never without him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.