Thanks, DL61. Not.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by krpjr
Cats belong in the cargo. Not first worlds problems, but I certainly would not want to be seated next to a cat either.
While preferable, it is not always possible. Some airlines have seasonal restrictions that prevent animals being in the cargo compartment. Additionally, some airlines have restrictions on the number of pets allowed in the cargo hold. One time I was flying from MAD to EWR on Continental and they refused to put our cats in the cargo hold. We had to bring them into the cabin.

I would like to think most people bring pets on aircraft due to moving and not for leisure.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Just ask the cat not to crap.... I'm sure he or she will oblige. Give the cat a drink, glass of wine or a screwdriver, may loosen the cat up a little, maybe the cat will chat with you.... good conversation makes the journey seem shorter.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Not to sound like a prick, but it is the DL policy that it is ok for an animal to ride in the cabin. Almost every other carrier has a similar policy. It really doesn't matter what you want and what you don't.

I don't want economy seats that are 17.2 inches wide or a lack of meals on long domestic flights in Y, but those aren't my decisions to make. I fly an airline - they make their policies. If I don't like the policies, I fly a different airline.

Cats are allowed, sorry OP. BTW - I HATE cats too.
I can understand the complaint if someone is allergic to cats, and in the case just ask the flight attendant to switch seats. If I were flying with my cats and sitting next to someone with a cat allergy, I would have no problems switching aisle seats with another PAX providing I was still in the same cabin.

But it is just because someone doesn't like cats or doesn't think they should be allowed in the cabin or whatever, no I wouldn't switch seats. I hate being seated near a kid that cries a lot, especially on a paid first class ticket, but just like cats, Delta's policy allows kids, and unlike an infant pet owners are paying a fee to bring their pet on board (a VERY overpriced fee) and the carrier counts as one of their carryons.

I am surprised no one has made the comment to fly a private jet if you don't like pets on the plane
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
(And please OP never fly SW. I once flew with Penguins, Pellicans and who knows what. Each case had it's on seat. They let the penguins out to visit us )
Years ago, I flew on Aero Continente (out of business) from IQT (Iquitos, Peru) to LIM, and the woman in front on me going thru the metal detector had a shopping bag with live chickens in it! (fortunately, the x-ray machine was broken ) They were going thru everyone's bags manually!

Originally Posted by DLroads
. . . .you can't complain when you get an upgrade.
HA! Are you new around here?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by zapata
While preferable, it is not always possible. Some airlines have seasonal restrictions that prevent animals being in the cargo compartment. Additionally, some airlines have restrictions on the number of pets allowed in the cargo hold. One time I was flying from MAD to EWR on Continental and they refused to put our cats in the cargo hold. We had to bring them into the cabin.

I would like to think most people bring pets on aircraft due to moving and not for leisure.
I would think most people wouldn't bring a cat along just for a regular vacation. Like you said it would because they are moving, or on a VERY long job assignment/sabitical. But it could have also been someone taking a cat to a cat show or a breeder transporting the cat to the new home. I have a friend that breeds cats and she is a responsible breeder and refuses to ship a cat as cargo and has had the news owners come and pick the kitten up which soemtimes involves flying and I have also volunteered to deliver kittens for her if the new owners don't want to make the trip (I figure it's a paid trip and I have the rest of the trip to myself after the kitten is picked up and I fly back solo).

Unlike a lap infant, the airlines charge a very hefty fee to have a pet in the cabin with you, and even though you are paying a hefty fee to have the pet with you up front, that carrier also counts as one of your carryons.

Some breeds can't fly in the cargo hold regardless. I have burmese cats and due to their noses it would be dangerous for them to fly in the cargo hold and AFAIK Delta's policy prohibits them riding in cargo during certain temperatures, same with a pug. There is also safety reasons. A year or two ago a breeder shipped a sphynx kitten and I can't remember what all happened but somehow the kitten froze due to Delta's mishandling of the kitten (seeing that breed has no fur Delta shouldn't have allowed him in cargo and the breeder should her CFA certification for shipping a kitten instead of requiring the new owners to pick him up).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I know a couple that lives half the year in Italy, half the year in the U.S. They fly DL specifically because of DL's policy on letting them bring their dog in the cabin.

That's an example of a couple of FC RT tix that DL sells thanks to their pet friendly policy. It's good business. (and, BTW, those tix cost a bit more than $1500)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Not to get your dander up, but the new home for this discussion about the pet peeves of traveling with cats is now the Travel with Pets forum.

Please try not to be catty and dog me about the relocation of this discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, unfortunately threads that bash traveling with pets are not allowed in this forum. From the sticky thread titled http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ets-forum.html on top of the Travel with Pets forum's home page when this forum was created in 2008 you will find this caveat:

We are all here to assist our fellow travelers in answering general pet travel questions.

Please don't post here if you have a problem with pets in the cabin, staying at your place of lodging or just don't like animals in general. Your thread will be considered off topic and disruptive and it will be deleted. FT's rules and guidelines for posting will be enforced in this forum. If you violate the TOS, you may be sent to "THE DOG HOUSE"!

Therefore I am closing this thread to any further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.