Rottweiler as Lap Child

Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by NC_Girl
...and in Rental Housing with some restrictions.
There are little restrictions.

In a high-rise that I live in there are HOA restrictions prohibiting pets of any kind. Period.

Well, a Mrs. DYKWIA on one of the floors decided to get herself a dog and, quite arrogantly, enjoyed strutting around the building with the dam thing even though she signed the statement acknowledging receipt and understanding of the bylaws.

Residents complain, board sends certified letters and retains outside counsel. With the legal train heading her way, Mrs. DYKWIA was all of a sudden "stricken with mental issues" and produced a sham "emotional pet" letter from her "mental health professional."

The Board spent over $10,000 in legal fees only to lose the case because of this b.s.

Mrs. DYKWIA eventually moved out.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, as I said, there are very few restrictions. Generally, the only restrictions are for landlords with less than ?? units. Either 3 or 4, can't remember at the moment but easy enough to look up if you want... I am assuming that your building probably had more than this. IMHO, your attorney's should have informed you of this upfront before taking the case. As for this lady, perhaps it was a sham letter, or perhaps she had a real mental health disability. Do you really know?

Bowgie - The dog is allowed in the cabin when he is with his handler. Anyone other than the handler transporting the dog doesn't have the legal rights of the handler.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
To each his own...I'd rather travel with my dogs.
Proving my point. Unless you have young children, and in that case this preference is merely sad.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Thank you for the clarification. For simplicity sake, I tell my people (govt office environment) to treat customers with ESA and Service Animals the same, and to err on the permissive side because I don't expect my people to know technical differences in helper animal rules.

Minor point: Doesn't a service animal have to be working to be transported as a service animal? For example, if a service animal is merely being transported by a non-disabled handler; wouldn't the animal have to either meet in-cabin size requirements, or fly in the cargo hold?
I've seen service animals in training in airports and on flights. They were
being treated like service animals although their handlers were not apparently disabled.

ADDED. In the case I remember most clearly, the dog's vest said seeing eye dog in training or something similar and the handler had documents to show airport officials. The animal was practicing riding in the tram and electric carts at MSP during its connection. People were encouraged to pet and try to distract the dog as part of its training. The handler was eager to demonstrate and answer questions, so that it was extremely good PR for service dogs.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 16, 2012 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:14 am

SDIT laws vary from state to state and as a trainer you have to know the laws of the state you are in. However, they are NOT afforded the same rights as Service Dogs although many airlines will allow them on flights if you get approval. While in the airport I would assume they would fall under the states laws.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
A couple quick notes after just having returned from almost a month in the Balkans.

-Not all service animals assist the disabled. Many are in law enforcement or search and rescue and their handlers are quite able bodied. I recall reading they are only afforded the special privileges on airlines if they are on "official" business; accompanying their handler on holiday doesn't count.

-The category of "(certified) therapy dogs," although they work as (lower case) service animals, are generally not eligible for aircraft transport in any special status other than the regular rules.

-I think I would prefer a DYKWIA to a screaming child. At least there is potential for entertainment.

-It would also be entertaining to see TSA perform an enhanced pat down on that 90 pound rottweiler, especially when they get to the genital groping part.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
So TSA just let the dog through? Did they put him in the nudoscope? Check to make sure the teeth weren't weapons? Take away his can of moist dog food?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
To each his own...I'd rather travel with my dogs.
^ I've never had an issue sleeping on a plane due to noise from a dog or cat near me. And people with a pet onboard are PAYING a VERY EXPENSIVE fee (I think it's around $100 each way now) to have their pet on board and on top of that are required to count the pet as one of their carry on items.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If I thought I could get away with it I would absolutely love to take one of my dogs as a lap child! They're much better behaved than a human child ;-)
True, though mine sheds like you wouldn't believe, I'd have a sweater on by the end of the flight!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Global Entry, SPG Platinum, SSG Platinum, Tuborg Gold
While I agree that a Rottweiler does not belong in the cabin your blanket assertion that a dog has a seat in the hold just shows a total animus towards dogs. Why can not a small dog be in the cabin? I am willing to bet my dog (a 20 pound CKCS) would be better behaved then a screaming child
There is virtually no chance I'll be allergic to a small child. There is about a 50% chance that I'm allergic to your dog and a near 100% chance that I'm allergic to your cat. Animals do indeed have a "seat in the hold" and should be there.

Somebody, sometimes me, has to sit next to that animal that I may or may not be allergic to. If somebody severely allergic to nuts wants to raise enough of a stink, they can ensure that no nuts are on a flight. The same cannot be said for those of us allergic to animals. Should we find ourselves on a plane with an animal that we happen to be allergic to, we must make the adjustments.

If you must travel with your animal, invest in a nice, warm, comfortable crate and check your animal as livery.

If you cannot "subject" your animal to that experience, consider a road trip in your car, where you and your animal pet can converse as you normally would and re-assure each other until you're both comfortable enough to continue existing.

If you cannot bear the anxiety of flying without your animal, consider a road trip in your car as well...isn't it just a bit unfair that you've left your 163 cats at home anyway?

If you are stretching the truth among your care providers and service animal regulators in order to obtain a "service dog" designation, you should reevaluate your perspective and priorities because...

If your animal is a genuine service animal that you need in your daily life, then I will shut my sickly ... and deal.

Your animal pet is not a person, IT is not the equivalent of someone's child (regardless of behavior), and it does not have any Constitutional rights.

Scared to fly? Drink or sleep or self-medicate in a way that doesn't infringe on others or...

DON'T FLY.

p.s. I've had well-trained dogs since I was a child; this isn't about "animus" toward dogs so much as it is animus toward people who tend to think of their dog as a person, not understand that it's not cute to be licked, or sneezed upon (or nudged inappropriately), by someone's dog, or not realize that their dog isn't nearly as "well trained" as they'd like to think. As much as I enjoy my dogs, they stay at home (or with a caretaker or in a reputable kennel depending on the length of my trip) when I travel because they are...well, they're dogs.

OK...fire away.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
Originally Posted by Foulsham
As much as I enjoy my dogs, they stay at home (or with a caretaker or in a reputable kennel depending on the length of my trip) when I travel because they are...well, they're dogs.

This. As much as I'd like to have my dogs with me I would never subject them to flying. I've spent many thousands of dollars to keep them safe and happy while I'm away from home. And contrary to what canadatosiberia thinks my preference is not "very sad." as I said to each his own. I have a very happy fulfilling life and my dogs are a part of that.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
This. As much as I'd like to have my dogs with me I would never subject them to flying. I've spent many thousands of dollars to keep them safe and happy while I'm away from home. And contrary to what canadatosiberia thinks my preference is not "very sad." as I said to each his own. I have a very happy fulfilling life and my dogs are a part of that.
For clarity, I merely stated that preference for your dogs over your kids would be sad. I'm not judging the fulfillment that your life brings if your dogs are your kids. To each their own.

For the "I don't think kids belong on planes" crowd, I often wonder what kind of cage they were kept in as children. I take my kids all over to ensure that they experience what the world has to offer - as for dogs, I would have to think that it is for the sake of the owner rather than the dog. Isn't it crazy stressful on these animals?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:05 am

The very first thing when evaluating a potential Service Dog is the temperament. Some dogs thrive in chaotic situations (the only suitable dog for service work) most don't. Some can learn to tolerate it, many can't. When I see a dog being dragged out in a stressful situation I feel so badly for the dog... and yes, in this case the human is doing it for their sake, not the dogs.

I do not have children, but if I did, I would certainly put them in front of my dogs. However, since I don't my maternal instincts kick in and my dog is my "replacement" child. I do still however, consider him a dog and treat him as such. People who treat their dogs (often small ankle biters) as little princesses who can do no wrong, errrr, are actually doing a disservice to their dogs. Dogs are normally more content to have a strong, fair, consistent leader than being forced into that position themselves. And make no mistake, anyone who is babying their little dog and putting them up on a pedestal is making the dog the boss of the house "in the dogs eyes" which is quite a stressful place for a dog to be.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this thread is now the Travel with Pets forum, as it has little to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd prefer my seat mate to have a well behaved rottweiler rather than an oversized lap "infant."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.