Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Travelling from Kabul to Vancouver with my cat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling from Kabul to Vancouver with my cat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, Miles&Smiles, OneWorld
Question From Kabul to Vancouver with my cat

My 14-month old rescue kitty (hand-raised from 3 weeks!) will travel with me from KBL to YVR at the end of September. He's fully immunised, micro-chipped, and has a passport with valid Health Check. I'm extremely nervous and very reluctant to put him in baggage for such a long journey. I only have two options departing out of KBL - DXB or IST. Any suggestion, hints or advice on:

1. Airlines allowing cats in Business Class:
(i) DXB-YVR (transit in BKK or HKG?),
(ii) DXB-YVR (transit in SEA?)
(iii) DXB-YVR (transit in LHR, JFK or YYZ?)
(iv) IST-YVR (transit??)

2. The national/regional airlines servicing Afghanistan will not permit him on-board; thus, he'll have to endure either a 3 hr cargo/baggage hold flight to DXB or 4.5 hrs to IST. Yikes! I'm trying to see if I can persuade the UN flight to DXB to relax their rules but this is probably not likely.

Will I be permitted to visit/stay with my kitty in the airport holding areas, until he is loaded and when he's off-loaded? I am not confident in the capacities of the ground staff to delicately and empathetically handle such delicate cargo, esp considering my observations of their handling of fragile baggage. I'm also concerned about his exposure to the very high seasonal temperatures. How would I find out this information from the authorities and then receive an official pass. if needed?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by milesfromhome; Sep 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:27 pm

How did it go? Hope it all went well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.