Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Experiences on Air France with dog in cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences on Air France with dog in cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by dh204
Hi!
It's been awhile; I forgot to update on our trip back in Feb!

Everything went very smoothly - luckily, AF agents did not ask for the dog to stand up and turn around (she wouldn't have been able to stand up, but she can turn around in the bag). Our dog can get a little nervous sometimes in new situations, so we closed all the privacy flaps on the bag except one on the top so she wouldn't bark or anything, and no one seemed to care to look inside the bag. Agents only asked us to put the bag on the scale so they could weigh her. We came in at just under the limit, something like 5.8 kg. She was weighed both at JFK and CDG and once we had weighed her, they immediately sent us to pay the pet fee. We used the Sturdibag carrier and we were very pleased with it. It's lighter than most soft carriers, and it seems a bit roomier too. Our dog was fine during the flight; she mostly slept both ways and we made sure that she was super tired before we got on the plane.

I think that in the worst case scenario, if they think the dog cannot fly in cabin, they will make you buy a crate to put the dog in with checked luggage...
dh204,

I'm glad you were able to fly hassle-free! I am meeting my husband over there for the holidays (flying into CDG from MIA) and will be bringing our dog (11lb maltipom, also 13" at the withers). I was wondering why you settled on the Sturdibag over your Sherpa and what size bag you traveled with?

Right now I have a Top Paws bag I bought secondhand from a couple I met in Petsmart who was looking to replace their carrier, and it measures 19" x 10.5" x 11.5" (LxWxH), is soft-sided and has a domed/tapered top. I weighed our dog in the carrier on the scale in Petsmart and it came out to 13.6 lbs.

Would love your thoughts/opinion on the matter! Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:56 pm

I've flown domestic with my 16 pound dachshund many times and she was never weighed. I was concerned about international (Ewr-ORY) so got her certified as an emotional support animal. I've flown with her 3 times now without problems. They never weighed her, probably because of the ESA. Btw, the ESA was legit. I suffer from panic attacks (especially on planes). The dog is very calm and keeps me from screaming and crying. I hope others recognize that my calm, sleeping dog is relieving them of having to deal with crazy me in flight.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver
Originally Posted by bvilla
dh204,

I'm glad you were able to fly hassle-free! I am meeting my husband over there for the holidays (flying into CDG from MIA) and will be bringing our dog (11lb maltipom, also 13" at the withers). I was wondering why you settled on the Sturdibag over your Sherpa and what size bag you traveled with?

Right now I have a Top Paws bag I bought secondhand from a couple I met in Petsmart who was looking to replace their carrier, and it measures 19" x 10.5" x 11.5" (LxWxH), is soft-sided and has a domed/tapered top. I weighed our dog in the carrier on the scale in Petsmart and it came out to 13.6 lbs.

Would love your thoughts/opinion on the matter! Thanks
Hi bvilla,
Sorry, I only just saw this post now, and I saw you sent me a PM. I replied to your PM but will post a reply here as well in case anyone else has the same question.
We chose the Sturdibag because it was really lightweight and seemed roomier/taller than the Sherpa. Also, the Sturdibag smushes easily, so when we took the flight, we were able to push the bag down a little so it would fit under the seat.
We like the Sturdibag so much that we actually sized up to the largest size, since my dog is no longer a puppy anymore and stands at 17" tall and weighs 17 lbs. It is even roomier but unfortunately it does not conform to airline standards and will not fit under the seat. My dog fits somewhat comfortably in the largest Sturdibag - she cannot stand up in it, but she can lie down on her side with her legs sprawled out.
Hope your flight was okay and that you didn't have any issues!
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Briants1
Hi, I see that this is an old topic but a lot of great info.

I'll be flying air france to CDG from IAD and I'm concerned that one of my dogs is 3lbs heavier than the allowed (dog + carrier cannot exceed 13 lbs).

It sounds like from the comments above that I can chance it and if they feel he is too big then he will go to the cargo hold.

I'd rather avoid the hold ... Are there any more thoughts on this?

Is it likely that they'll just let him go in cabin?

Thanks!

hi! I’d love to know how your flight went? Mine is 2 pounds over weight and I fly from IAD soon to a Paris but my pup is about 2 pounds too heavy!
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I see no point in bumping a 7 year old thread and expecting an answer that will be of any help for someone traveling today.
Therefore I am shutting this one down.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.