Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying with 2 Pugs from Thailand to the US - need your help!

Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Location: Bangkok Thailand HYATT DIAMOND, DL PM, DL 2 Million Miler
Programs: THAI RO Gold, Hilton Gold,Marriott something

Sorry if this has been answered, but i could not find anything current.

I am a million miler with NW, but this is a first for me. After living in Thailand the last 8 years, I am repatriating to USA (DTW) in February. ( sad story in itself)

I will be traveling with my wife, and the company books us Business Class. We have 2 Pugs and I am trying to find if they can fly in the cabin. (the ugs, not my wife)

One is 15 pounds one is 20 pounds. I know that with kennel, that will be slightly over the 15 pounds limit on NW site. But since it is WBC, a larger size should fit under the seat. Some old posts said that fitting under the seat in a crate that allowed them to move a bit was the criteria they checked.

My question:
- Does anyone have experience traveling with small dogs/pugs for this distance?
- Does anyone have experience, will they give greater discretion on the wieght in WBC?
- Does anyone know if they can go in cabin this route at all (I read somewhere Airbus 330 wont take pets in cabin)

Any thoughts or advice appreicated, i am worried about this.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:52 am

I don't have any answers for you about NW and WBC but I feel for you. I just did this in August except my 70 pound dogs were coming to Thailand. I ended up driving from Mobile, AL to LAX and putting my wife, daughter, and dogs on the non-stop Thai Airways flight for an outstanding price - I saved $3,000 over DL, KE, EVA! So it made it worth the 3 day drive. Of course dogs were in cargo.

Hopefully someone will have the answers for you but I fully understand what you are going through.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I have never traveled with a pet, so please keep that in mind when reading this.

By February 2010, it is possible that NW will be no more, and all flights will be DL. For this reason, you might wish to review DL.com information, such as the web pages starting at http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp.

I saw the specific reference to carry on pet restrictions in the BE cabin on A330 aircraft on NW.com's pet information web page http://www.nwa.com/travel/animals/carryonpets.html. While I couldn't find that same reference on DL.com, there is a general reference that says you must contact Delta Reservations for specific carry on kennel size limitations for your flight (from http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ns/index.jsp):

Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel under the seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.
You should be aware that under seat space in BE is limited on A330's, so the prohibition for pets in BE for this aircraft type does not surprise me.

On NW/DL, your route is likely BKK-NRT-DTW I would guess, which would mean an A330 BKK-NRT and a B747 for the NRT-DTW leg. I've not seen an area at NRT available to connection passengers for pet relief within the airside security area. BKK-NRT is at least a six hour flight, and NRT-DTW is over eleven hours.

From a casual reading of the available web information, it sounds to me like your only option is to ship your pets in the cargo hold, unless you wish to travel in the Y cabin for your BKK-NRT leg.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lucky6666
Sorry if this has been answered, but i could not find anything current.

I am a million miler with NW, but this is a first for me. After living in Thailand the last 8 years, I am repatriating to USA (DTW) in February. ( sad story in itself)

I will be traveling with my wife, and the company books us Business Class. We have 2 Pugs and I am trying to find if they can fly in the cabin. (the ugs, not my wife)

One is 15 pounds one is 20 pounds. I know that with kennel, that will be slightly over the 15 pounds limit on NW site. But since it is WBC, a larger size should fit under the seat. Some old posts said that fitting under the seat in a crate that allowed them to move a bit was the criteria they checked.

My question:
- Does anyone have experience traveling with small dogs/pugs for this distance?
- Does anyone have experience, will they give greater discretion on the wieght in WBC?
- Does anyone know if they can go in cabin this route at all (I read somewhere Airbus 330 wont take pets in cabin)

Any thoughts or advice appreicated, i am worried about this.
There was recently a long thread on flying with dogs. Here is the Delta policy

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ions/index.jsp

Here is the thread:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ions/index.jsp

A couple of comments: you must arrange in advance for your dogs to travel. If you just show up with them, they will not be transported. Also, the fees are NOT waiveable. Also, each pet counts as one piece of carry on luggage. I will let you read the rest. hope this helps.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster

thanks for the help. i think you made mistake in the links, they are both the same.

1. I am aware that the pets count as carry on. I can live with that.
2. The "NW may not exist by Feb 1" - makes it even harder to plan; the delta page talks about dimensions, not weight at all.
3. As far as no pet area at NRT, my thought was the layover time is sufficient i can take them out outside then come back in through security
4. Now, i dont even know if i can trust the answer i get from NW, as they may be quoting a policy that goes away.

I dont know how to assess th A330 space question. But it does seem like cargo may be the only option. I wonder if i can send them cargo to NRT and then pick them up for the 747 ride in the cabin?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
call a DL agent to get the rules. In my experience airlines will not give any leeway on weight. Your only chance is to *risk* it and hope they don't weigh the crates. At major stations they always go by the rules. You might be able to get by leaving from BKK.

If you do that, you will be screwed if they call you on it, as you need to reserve space in the hold in advance.

since pugs are at risk when they fly, my recommendation is (assuming they get along), book a single larger crate in the hold. Put an ice bed in the bottom to keep them cool while in BKK and NRT. By the time you leave NRT the ice beds won't be helping but that should get you through the risky parts of the trip.

The other element to remember is that with NW WBC nothing except a very small bag fits under the seat like in coach. The crates will most likely interfere with using your seat as a lie-flat.

Last edited by doglover; Dec 25, 2009 at 6:34 pm
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Can you use a soft carrier rather than a hard one? It's been years since I travelled with a pet, but you can hold a soft carrier on your lap during the flight if your pet needs some reassurance. Also, a soft carrier looks lighter.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Can you use a soft carrier rather than a hard one? It's been years since I travelled with a pet, but you can hold a soft carrier on your lap during the flight if your pet needs some reassurance. Also, a soft carrier looks lighter.
I would recommend this as well. Domestically I have traveled with my Boston terrier who is of similar size/stature.... I actually bought a delta branded soft carrier for my terrier. That type of carrier is lighter weight and easier to deal with. I would recommend a tranquilizer from your vet for the dogs. It's a long journey and can be very stressful
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I would recommend this as well. Domestically I have traveled with my Boston terrier who is of similar size/stature.... I actually bought a delta branded soft carrier for my terrier. That type of carrier is lighter weight and easier to deal with. I would recommend a tranquilizer from your vet for the dogs. It's a long journey and can be very stressful
thanks. everything i have read recommnds AGAINST a tranquilizer. Including a study that 90% of dogs dying in flight were sedated. (maybe thats cause 90% of pets were sedated? - statistics can be funny things). But especially for pugs, the advice seems to be against sedating. But that will be a horrible trip for them if they have to go cargo, i am sure.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
As I moderate both the DL & TWP forums I am moving this thread over to the Travel with Pets forum where I believe you will receive the proper attention.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please do whatever you can to get those pugs in the cabin with you (even if it means putting the 20 pound guy on a diet). Pugs traveling in cargo is always dicey and, indeed, my understanding is that some carriers (including DL) will not even accept a pug in cargo). I have had pugs for years and am well aware of their breathing and hydration issues. You have to do some serious research as to how to transport your pugs to the U.S. Pugs are not like other dogs. They require a great deal of hydration and temperature control. Good luck. Pugs are wonderful and I can understand why you want them with you.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO you are dealing with two separate and equally important issues.

NW has a 15 pound weight restriction including the kennel for carryon pets and they also do not allow them in the front cabin of their A330's.

Over the years flying on NW metal with my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who only weighs 12 pounds I have encountered problems with NW agents when the carryon bag with the dog inside weighed over 15 pounds. In fact one time I had to empty the side pockets of the bag which contained several of my dog's items including a metal water bowl to squeeze under the 15 pound restriction when checking in for a flight for one agent who was firm on their weight requirement.

If you can overcome the 15 pound weight restriction at checkin the only way to get your dogs onboard an A330 for the BKK-NRT portion of this trip would be to sit in the Y cabin.

Frankly I would start researching other airlines for this trip and not deal with NW's strict guidelines.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, Thai Airways has a 10 kg (10 kg = 22.0462 lb) weight restriction for carryon pets. The carryon bag cannot exceed 55length x 37width x 30height in centimeters.

You could book TG794 in business which is a nonstop BKK-LAX flight and they take your pugs for a walk outside security before taking a domestic flight on another carrier to DTW. Avoid the nonsense on NW all together.

I would speak to a TG agent regarding all of the above before booking.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
BTW, Thai Airways has a 10 kg (10 kg = 22.0462 lb) weight restriction for carryon pets. The carryon bag cannot exceed 55length x 37width x 30height in centimeters.

You could book TG794 in business which is a nonstop BKK-LAX flight and they take your pugs for a walk outside security before taking a domestic flight on another carrier to DTW. Avoid the nonsense on NW all together.

I would speak to a TG agent regarding all of the above before booking.
thx, this is good advice. i couldnt find anything on TG website

but what you suggest allows a few more pounds. I am suprised, I thought TG also used an A330. And it can get my pets out for a walk as you say in LAX.

I will call them, thx
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by lucky6666
thx, this is good advice. i couldnt find anything on TG website

but what you suggest allows a few more pounds. I am suprised, I thought TG also used an A330. And it can get my pets out for a walk as you say in LAX.

I will call them, thx
As a pug lover, I would definitely go with TG. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Just don't let those pugs out of your sight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.