Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying with 2 Pugs from Thailand to the US - need your help!

Flying with 2 Pugs from Thailand to the US - need your help!

Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lucky6666
thx, this is good advice. i couldnt find anything on TG website
There are three pages pertaining to pet travel hidden under special services on their site. Once again you need to not only speak to them but I recommend that you get permission in writing from a supervisor for what you wish to do so that you don't have any last minute hiccups checking in at the airport. I would also investigate who they have interline agreements with at LAX so your luggage is transferred properly although you will have to go through US Customs first.

http://www.prthaiairways.com/thaiair...p?lg=en&dng=10
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: Bangkok Thailand HYATT DIAMOND, DL PM, DL 2 Million Miler
Programs: THAI RO Gold, Hilton Gold,Marriott something
thanks. Looking at those pages about Pets in the cabin:

Passengers may bring their dog or cat on board in the cabin with the maximum weight up to 10kgs including the container not exceeding the measurements (55length x 37width x 30height in CMS)

The pet, including the container, will be charged as excess baggage.

My question here is, if they are charged as excess baggage does that mean they will weigh them? I think my Pugs are 10-11 KG without the container, so although they can fit in that size, I am going to be about 2KG over. Do you think they will make an issue of that?

I appreciate the point about getting permission from a supervisor ahead of time, but without them seeing the dog how will they do that? Or do you think i call them and say "the fit dimensions, but they are 1.5Kg over")

Or, do I just give up and ship them as Checked baggage?

Maybe the most important question is th econtainer. Is it the same container used for cabin or checked? If so, i can go to the airport and take my chanes. If the container is different then i have a problem if the agent doesnt allow in the cabin.

They talk about a container requirement for Cargo and for in cabin. But they dont specify container for checked baggage
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:12 am
Original Poster

my company has put me in touch with a company called AnimalsAway to help with my dogs move. today they wrote me the following:

Hello

As far as the pets being allowed in the cabin usual rule is they must weigh under 10 lbs, if you want to take on the flight you must make those arrangements directly with the airlines I cannot do this it is a courtesy they extend to their passengers flying with their pets.

Being pugs airlines are strict will not take them is the temperature is over 75 degrees at any point along the flight path,''

The agent in Bangkok will book the flights, I would suggest to them Lufthansa thru Frankfurt where there is an animal hotel, the dogs would be properly taken care of fed, walked and out of their kennels while waiting for their connecting flight.

Please let me know of any other concerns you have.

Susan
Animals Away

well, she appears wrong about the cabin curteousy and weight. So i question the comment about temperature.

But if correct, it is over 75 degrees in Thailand 365 days a year. How can i ever get them home?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks. Looking at those pages about Pets in the cabin:

Passengers may bring their dog or cat on board in the cabin with the maximum weight up to 10kgs including the container not exceeding the measurements (55length x 37width x 30height in CMS)

The pet, including the container, will be charged as excess baggage.

My question here is, if they are charged as excess baggage does that mean they will weigh them? I think my Pugs are 10-11 KG without the container, so although they can fit in that size, I am going to be about 2KG over. Do you think they will make an issue of that?

I appreciate the point about getting permission from a supervisor ahead of time, but without them seeing the dog how will they do that? Or do you think i call them and say "the fit dimensions, but they are 1.5Kg over")

Or, do I just give up and ship them as Checked baggage?

Maybe the most important question is th econtainer. Is it the same container used for cabin or checked? If so, i can go to the airport and take my chanes. If the container is different then i have a problem if the agent doesnt allow in the cabin.

They talk about a container requirement for Cargo and for in cabin. But they dont specify container for checked baggage
Most people use a soft carryon bag when in cabin as they are easier to carry and weigh less. You need to use a hard type kennel when you check your pet. Check out companies like Sherpa that sell soft carryon bags for the weights and dimensions.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:03 am
Original Poster

as always, thank you.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my company has put me in touch with a company called AnimalsAway to help with my dogs move. today they wrote me the following:

Hello

As far as the pets being allowed in the cabin usual rule is they must weigh under 10 lbs, if you want to take on the flight you must make those arrangements directly with the airlines I cannot do this it is a courtesy they extend to their passengers flying with their pets.

Being pugs airlines are strict will not take them is the temperature is over 75 degrees at any point along the flight path,''

The agent in Bangkok will book the flights, I would suggest to them Lufthansa thru Frankfurt where there is an animal hotel, the dogs would be properly taken care of fed, walked and out of their kennels while waiting for their connecting flight.

Please let me know of any other concerns you have.

Susan
Animals Away

well, she appears wrong about the cabin curteousy and weight. So i question the comment about temperature.

But if correct, it is over 75 degrees in Thailand 365 days a year. How can i ever get them home?
As obscure2k who is a pug owner has already stated try to keep them in cabin and avoid checking them if possible. It can be dicey for a pug to be checked.

Lufthansa is not a viable option for in cabin as they have an 8 kilogram limit including the bag.

You may take a dog or cat into the cabin, if the weight of the animal (including transport container) does not exceed eight kilograms. The animal has to be kept in a box measuring not more than
55 x 40 x 20 cm. You may use your own transport box if it has the necessary measurement and is watertight and bite proof. In addition, Lufthansa offers you a "Pet Box" for most stations at the check-in counters free of charge.

Also have you considered a trip to the airport in BKK and offering the station chief for TG a late Christmas present?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

i should have thought of the xmas present. That is what makes Thailand work after all. thx
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you pursue this approach I would find out who the person is that you need to make your "appeal" to and do this well in advance of booking your flight to avoid any last minute hiccups. @:-)
Old May 15, 2010, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

sad sad conclusion to this. I came back to america in February. My wife had to stay behind a few months. This past week she was scheduled to ship the dogs in cargo, with the animal shipping company my company hired on monday then my wife on tuesday.

So monday around noon they picked up the 2 pugs. took them to the airport. cleared the vet, cleared customs and were handed off to KLM. Around 4PM, she got a call. One of the pugs had died. at the airport, waiting to board.

We are devastated. The other pug doesnt fit in the regulation pet carrier. I wont ship him as cargo. I am going to try to bring him anyway in the cabin. Also i got her a letter about her need for emotional support animal. So, it could not be worse.

One dog died. Trying to find a way to get the second pug and my wife home. And the civil war in Thailand complicates everything even more.

Never again for cargo
Old May 16, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My heart goes out to you. Needless to say we all wish for their safe transit out of Thailand. ^
Old May 16, 2010, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

sad sad conclusion to this. I came back to america in February. My wife had to stay behind a few months. This past week she was scheduled to ship the dogs in cargo, with the animal shipping company my company hired on monday then my wife on tuesday.

So monday around noon they picked up the 2 pugs. took them to the airport. cleared the vet, cleared customs and were handed off to KLM. Around 4PM, she got a call. One of the pugs had died. at the airport, waiting to board.

We are devastated. The other pug doesnt fit in the regulation pet carrier. I wont ship him as cargo. I am going to try to bring him anyway in the cabin. Also i got her a letter about her need for emotional support animal. So, it could not be worse.

One dog died. Trying to find a way to get the second pug and my wife home. And the civil war in Thailand complicates everything even more.

Never again for cargo
I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine your devastation and grief . I know well, that pugs really love to be with other dogs. I hope that you will find one who will bond nicely with your surviving pug and your family.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:50 pm

Let me add my sympathies for your loss, lucky6666. It is so hard to lose a pet under any circumstance but this has to be extraordinarily difficult given all of your understandable fears. Out of curiosity and perhaps to assist future pet owners arranging transport, did the company explain how in the world your dog died even before getting on the plane?
Old May 21, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jennj99738
Let me add my sympathies for your loss, lucky6666. It is so hard to lose a pet under any circumstance but this has to be extraordinarily difficult given all of your understandable fears. Out of curiosity and perhaps to assist future pet owners arranging transport, did the company explain how in the world your dog died even before getting on the plane?
No, they could not explain. They assured me the dogs were kept in an airconditioned waiting area for the flight. I can only guess that either they were left outside in the Bangkok heat. Or...I cant guess

Now i just want to get Jacky back

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.