Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cozy Suite - Building a Better Airplane Seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

The Cozy Suite - Building a Better Airplane Seat

Not sure that I like the design, there are some interesting perspectives of a new type of Y-class seat design though.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/04/post-1.html
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Wirelessly posted (HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

consideing that Delta's TATL coach product in 767s is pretty atrocious, any such change would be welcomed. I personally find that the headrest of the VS or BA variety goes a long way towards making a flight in coach more enjoyable. 4 extra inches of leg space would be nice, though!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
How will the FA's serve meals to the pax by the windows? It looks to me that any such service will require food trays being passed over someone's head, unless they resort to passing down the line.

Of course, with the demise of food service, this may not be a real problem for too long.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I'd be interested in finding out about the entire cabin layout (side, center, side) and the emergency egress tests. A staggered arrangement provides partial lateral blockage, which is verboten on takeoff and landings, at least with the currently generally rectilinear seating arrangement.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
do the seats recline at all?

Doesn't look to comfy to me, not that the current seats are either.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
What would happen to customers of size?

Seriously. COS are encouraged to/supposed to purchase 2 seats so they can be accommodated and the people are them are comfortable. Doesn't look like a person can purchase 2 seats. Are they supposed to squish into one seat?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:55 pm

It is certainly interesting and looks like it affords you more privacy. I just think that the person on the window seat would have a hard time getting out. Lots of bumping potential.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Not that it's all that easy NOW to get out of the window seat in Y, especially if the folks in the front are fully reclined and the folks in your row don't want to get up to let you out.

For that matter, I've been in the window seat when the flight attendant had to hand my drink to my fellow passengers to pass over because between the reclined seatbacks and some of us with laptops open, there's not a lot of room.
Old May 1, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Steph3n

Doesn't look to comfy to me, not that the current seats are either.
They do recline, but they slide forward, like train seats, not back.

COS (depending on S) should fit into one of these, I would imagine, since they've got more elbow room for each pax.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
It's got to be better than what's available. I look forward to trying it out!
Old May 1, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Originally Posted by Palal
They do recline, but they slide forward, like train seats, not back.
IMHO, this reclining style is a HUGE improvement over the current standard of Y seats. Current = recline into the space of the pax behind you. Future = recline into your own space. ^ ^
Old May 1, 2008, 2:49 pm

forward-sliding recline is much better, and I can see the benefit to allowing middle and aisle passengers something to lean their heads against, but I can't see that this is any better than what we currently have. There's nothing stopping the airlines from cramming in as many rows as they can like they do now. Take a look at that middle picture that shows the man sitting in the middle seat. It looks like the screen he's playing with is about one foot from his face.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jcwoman
Take a look at that middle picture that shows the man sitting in the middle seat. It looks like the screen he's playing with is about one foot from his face.
That would be about six more inches of room than you get now when the person in front of you reclines all the way.

I'm looking forward to trying these (ahem, not that I ever fly coach ).

However, they do look awkward in terms of getting to/from the aisle, and it would make traveling with a companion/spouse a little strange, and you would have to contort your body to have a normal conversation. Still, for sleeping it looks much better than the current set-up.
Old May 1, 2008, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
the middle seat's a bit off by the look of it! I wouldn't want to be sitting there while the person at the window tries to get out.

They say they have done extensive testing...
Old May 1, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Thumbs down Think I'll pass

Sure looks like there are benefits on the surface.
But if you go to the mfg site:
http://www.thompsonsolutions.co.uk/
They spend even more time talking about how airlines could INCREASE capacity.
Then with their illustrations:
http://www.thompsonsolutions.co.uk/t...ness_lopa.html
Showing how you could cut down on aisles to increase capacity ?

Maybe I could get used to it, but I wonder how emergency exits times would change...looks dangerous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.