Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots claim airliners forced to fly with low fuel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yauponaustin
very well put. as a private pilot, i just find that i have to do a little more planning (and thinking) instead of just loading up full fuel for a 2 hour hop. I am starting to do that with my big gas guzzler SUV too!!!
That rational choice would be to get rid of the gas guzzler!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The question revolves around how much "extra" fuel is enough? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? 60 minutes?

At my airline, 15 to 30 minutes of extra fuel is very common. Sometimes we'll have more, somtimes less. Small amounts of extra fuel mean that you have few options if you encounter delays. It makes it much more likely that you'll have to divert for more fuel which is a lot more expensive than carrying a bit extra.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
What were the circumstances of the incident? Was LHR the primary destination (probably)? What were the minimum required reserves for that particular flight? Did the pilot-in-command verify operation's calculations for the flight? Did the PIC verify fuel loads? Were air traffic, weather/winds, and/or random vectoring issues on that flight? Did the pilot consider an earlier alternate when fuel became an issue, or was (s)he aware that fuel was becoming an issue?
Yes LHR was the destination, and it's unwritten but common knowledge that a 20-minute hold is expected at busy times there (which is pretty much all the time). The suggestion was that MH was 'gaming' the system to declare minimum fuel and jump the queue. I believe the UK authorities ended up fining them for persistant incidents.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:08 pm

If pilots believe that it is necessary to carry more fuel, why not lobby the FAA to change the requirement? That would seem to be a more reasonable approach if it is, in fact, a safety issue. Otherwise it is a lot like lobbying to get the third pilot back in the cockpit because it would add to the safety of flights. It might make some folks feel better, but there isn't any significant evidence that it improves flight safety.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
That rational choice would be to get rid of the gas guzzler!
Not really. Even at today's fuel prices it's not generally economically wise to get rid of a vehicle solely to improve fuel mileage.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Not really. Even at today's fuel prices it's not generally economically wise to get rid of a vehicle solely to improve fuel mileage.
You also must work in the accelerated depreciation of that gas guzzler. That can be a whopper (just ask my goofy neighbor with his Hummer H1).

MisterNice
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
True. But it might be prudent ... and probably was at the time of purchase ... to factor in the cost of operation. That a dwindling resource in the hands of a cartel and which comes from a war torn area might rise in cost seems likely to me.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:03 pm

Bollocks

This story is typical media sensationalism. True, some carriers are not providing the delay buffers they once did, which can sometimes lead to inconvenient diversions. But it's insane to think flights are being dispatched with less than the required FAR minimums.

Here are a couple of articles I published that discuss fuel parameters...

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...skthepilot129/

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...skthepilot255/

Patrick Smith
www.askthepilot.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.