Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

T+L's 10 scariest runways

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

How many have you been to? I've only got the 2 easy ones on the list, and I don't even think that they belong on the list. And which would you add to the list? I'd nominate UIO and ZQN as possible inclusions thanks to the mountains surrounding them.

http://www.wanderingaramean.com/2008...t-runways.html
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ariest-runways
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I've flown to 4 on their list.
But some I wouldn't include (z.b. SXM) because as a passenger you don't know that the runway is INCREDIBLY tiny for those big jets that come in there. You also don't realize that there is a mini-mountain in front of the runway so that's why you have to bank a hard right immediately upon takeoff.

Two airports they should've included are SBH and SAN. Or even AXA during daylight flights. Or CUZ when it's foggy out.

On SBH there is a STEEP drop in to a very tiny runway that the passengers can see because the planes needed to access this runway must be tiny or they won't make it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:25 am

JFK? Huh. Who came up with this list. The runways are 14000 ft long. Kinda forgot a few like Aspen, Orange County, and Montrose just to name a few.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:26 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Related thread going on here.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1p
I can't believe they left Aspen off the list. Hair raising indeed!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
JFK? What were these people smoking? If they were thinking NY airports I'd suggest EWR RWY 29. Still, not even that belongs on the list. There are far more than ten other wackier runways/approaches out there.

The runway at Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland (VEY) would be more appropriate due to the high winds, steep cliffs, and large number of birds.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Apr 16, 2008 at 4:25 pm
Old May 7, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: Air Canada SE
I would have added CYB as an honorable mention, just due to the a/c that use it. Sure, landing a 737 in 6000ft sounds easy...
Old May 9, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Priority Plus, AA 0.6MM, Marriott Lifetime & Hilton Gold, bunch of stuff
If we're going to include Aspen, then Tahoe should be added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.