Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
WSJ: Costly Fuel, Economic Woes

Carriers May Face
New Restructuring;
Key Merger in Doubt
By SUSAN CAREY and MELANIE TROTTMAN
March 20, 2008

U.S. airlines, which seemed last year to have shaken off a half-decade slump, may face a new round of restructuring amid a stumbling economy and spiraling fuel prices.

The turnabout reflects the headwinds that have buffeted the industry as oil prices have risen 75% in the past year and the housing slump has mushroomed into a broader credit crisis, making it hard for many businesses and households to borrow and prompting consumers to cut back on spending. Most economists now think the U.S. has slipped into a recession, and the debate is shifting to how deep the downturn will be.

Other industries, from the nation's beleaguered banks to retailers and auto makers, are facing similar pressures. But the major airlines, many of which have spent long periods under bankruptcy protection in recent years, worry they are especially vulnerable.

Full article in WSJ Requires Subscription

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.