90% false positive screening is too optimistic

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

90% false positive screening is too optimistic

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...etection_N.htm

Airport security arsenal adds behavior detection
The man in his 20s looks around the terminal as though he's searching for something. He chews his fingernails and holds his boarding pass against his mouth, seemingly worried.

...The TSA has trained nearly 2,000 employees to use the tactic, which is raising alarms ...

Hawley, who has emerged as the government's leading behavior-detection advocate, says automated detection "is in the far distant future." The TSA's present system, he says, "is phenomenally successful" — even if more than 90% of questionable people turn out innocent.

----
This post is not to say behavior recognition is bad. However, 90% innocent is far too optimistic.

If there is a terrorist attack every 3 years conducted by a group of 6 terrorists, then that's 2 terrorist per year. They will not be stopping 20 people per year in the entire country. 18/20 is a 90% innocent rate. Rather, TSA will stop thousands of people and catch 0 to 1 terrorist. People bringing a gun by mistake will act normally because they've forgotten about the gun in the handbag.

I think the program's intent is good. It's just that the innocent rate will be in excess of 99%. Catching terrorists is hard!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Human Unit 763246B
The TSA's present system, he says, "is phenomenally successful" — even if more than 90% of questionable people turn out innocent.
And just what are those 10% of "questionable people" guilty of? They certainly are not terrorists or we'd be hearing about hundreds being arrested every day. If they're no danger to aviation then we shouldn't be detaining them. Airport checkpoints are supposed to make sure that air transportation is safe, not that people have paid their child support, parking tickets, etc.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Human Unit 763246B
The man in his 20s looks around the terminal as though he's searching for something. He chews his fingernails and holds his boarding pass against his mouth, seemingly worried.
Apart from the age bit it sounds like me. Perhaps I should change my name to Osama
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by xyzzy
And just what are those 10% of "questionable people" guilty of? They certainly are not terrorists or we'd be hearing about hundreds being arrested every day. If they're no danger to aviation then we shouldn't be detaining them. Airport checkpoints are supposed to make sure that air transportation is safe, not that people have paid their child support, parking tickets, etc.
Agree - add share a name with someone else, last minute purchase, looked at the wrong person the wrong way, etc.

I've been questioned more than 10 times. Does that mean they think I'm a terrorist sometimes and not other times?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:25 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by xyzzy
And just what are those 10% of "questionable people" guilty of?
Speeding, stealing (pencils, pens, etc.). The stuff everyone is guilty of.

If the system catches more than a few dozen people a month, fewer than 1% of the people accused of being threats will actually present a threat. Of course that would mean that most agents doing the assessment flag fewer than one person per month.

In reality fewer than 0.01% of accused parties will present any threat. (The numbers are made up, but probably conservative).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.