Too fat although not too sexy for WN - 430 lbs. in tears

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

“And the lady stops and says, ‘Sir, you need to have another ticket.’ And I said what for and she said, ‘because of your size.' I hate to admit it but I was in tears.”

I wouldn't want to sit next to this person but there really should be a better way than public humiliation, although I'm not exactly sure what:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=5627
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
If the guy hadn't tried to skirt WN's well-known policy he wouldn't have been publicly humiliated.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:27 am

Good! It's about time this is enforced. Being fat is not some mysterious disease...even if you have hypothyroidism or a physical or medical ailment that prevents exercise (as do many so not calling people lazy) simply eating less will guarantee you are not fat. There is also a difference between having side rolls or a gut and being fat...this guy is fat.

Your body simply cannot weigh 400lbs unless you are taking in a HUGE excess in caloric need. Eat less....weight less...simple. I have gained more than I wanted from time to time and 'gasp' magically when I ate less it went away!! OMG!! A miracle!!

If they don't want to pay for two seats then the fatties should pay for my seat since they are using it too.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cooper99
Good! It's about time this is enforced. Being fat is not some mysterious disease...even if you have hypothyroidism or a physical or medical ailment that prevents exercise (as do many so not calling people lazy) simply eating less will guarantee you are not fat. There is also a difference between having side rolls or a gut and being fat...this guy is fat.

Your body simply cannot weigh 400lbs unless you are taking in a HUGE excess in caloric need. Eat less....weight less...simple. I have gained more than I wanted from time to time and 'gasp' magically when I ate less it went away!! OMG!! A miracle!!

If they don't want to pay for two seats then the fatties should pay for my seat since they are using it too.
WELL PUT
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Ah, just what FT needs, yet another fat bashing thread.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:51 am

This is not a 'seat up or down" argument where there is no clear answer and you have people on both sides of the fence...being fat is preventable, unhealthy, bothering to others, costly to society...and EASY to fix.

It is not bashing it is simply not caving to PC bull about 'weight challenged' people...it is calling a spade a spade and providing the solution.

I have faults as well and when there is an obvious proven way to deal with them I do...too many people want to make excuses for things like this and the rest of us suffer for it.

People do bad and stupid things and want to make excuses...rob a bank and get caught you go to jail...eat too much you get fat....drive while talking on your phone and eating and crash you get hurt and/or hurt others...cause and effect.

Many things in life are not clear how to fix...we all know...but fat is...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I can't imagine there's anything to say on this topic that hasn't been said already. Here is just a small sampling of the dozens of threads on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349984
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670689
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354727
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459788
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691211
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634813
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fredd
“And the lady stops and says, ‘Sir, you need to have another ticket.’ And I said what for and she said, ‘because of your size.' I hate to admit it but I was in tears.”

I wouldn't want to sit next to this person but there really should be a better way than public humiliation, although I'm not exactly sure what:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=5627
Well I imagine the seat mate may have been in tears if they hadn't made him buy a 2nd seat...........
If the guy is a frequent flier as stated in the headline I can't believe this is the first time he'd had to buy and extra ticket.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by cooper99

I agree about the need for a person like this to buy a second seat. That said, your explanation of why, in addition to being rather cruel, demonstrates a rather complete lack of biological understanding of the problem.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:31 am
Suspended

A 2nd seat merely prevents someone else from being cheated out of part of their seat. In recent years, flights tend to be full. I thought that WN said that if there were many empty seats on a flight, a 2nd seat charge is not applied.

Several years ago, someone coined the term "seat theft" in FT. That's when the next passenger takes up 10-15% of your seat.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:38 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by 777-100SP
A 2nd seat merely prevents someone else from being cheated out of part of their seat. In recent years, flights tend to be full. I thought that WN said that if there were many empty seats on a flight, a 2nd seat charge is not applied.

Several years ago, someone coined the term "seat theft" in FT. That's when the next passenger takes up 10-15% of your seat.
WN will refund the 2nd ticket if the flight is not sold out.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Ah, just what FT needs, yet another fat bashing thread.
Bash? Fat people don't make crunching sounds. More of a jellyroll like noise when you hit them.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
That said, your explanation of why, in addition to being rather cruel, demonstrates a rather complete lack of biological understanding of the problem.
Please explain the biology of the problem then. Calories in > calories burned = fat is pretty much what it ultimately boils down to for most people, barring disease/disorder. Perhaps I am wrong.

^ to WN.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by chuckd
Please explain the biology of the problem then. Calories in > calories burned = fat is pretty much what it ultimately boils down to for most people, barring disease/disorder. Perhaps I am wrong.

^ to WN.
Yes, you are wrong about the biology. But I agree about WN and the need for two seats.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:32 am

I may have dramatically oversimplified it but I am not wrong nor do I misunderstand.

Taking in more than your daily caloric needs results in obesity...taking in less eventually leads to weight loss...fact. Nutrition notwithstanding if you need 1500kcal/day and you eat only 500kcal/day of lard you will still not become obese...malnourished yes...obese no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.