Fair dinkum: Aussie phrase sparks in-flight dispute

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/busi..._0810_web.html

An Australian tourist upset over her airborne snack says the slang term "fair dinkum" landed her in a fair amount of hot water this week on a flight from Atlanta to Pittsburgh.
Sophie Reynolds, 41, said the problem began about halfway through her Delta Connection flight on SkyWest Airlines when she rejected a snack of crackers and asked the flight attendant for pretzels.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unless, as the article alleges, the passenger was acting aggressively throughout the flight, the FA needs nothing less than a pink slip and drop-kick right out the door. I have little tolerance for flight attendants who act like chicken littles or use their position to take out frustrations on customers.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
US domestic airlines (for practical purposes) like DL must love this kind of priceless publicity.

Why must staff in security and then on the flight make passengers' life so unpleasant, when it is the passengers whose return business will ensure these employees' job security?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:01 pm

I can 't imagine feeling compelled by a FA request to produce my passport (or any other id) for inspection. I'm sure some of my info is available anyway via the PNR on the manifest, but I certainly wouldn't be forking over anything additional. We can discuss with a LEO on landing, since I guess at this point I would assume if it got to the point of demanding id inflight, it wouldn't go any differently on the ground. What did the FA think s/he was anyway, "FA, Texas Ranger"?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Geesh, why don't they just pass out two six shooters in a holster for these FA's who think they are the new sheriff in town. It's getting so ridiculous up in the air now.

Stories like these make you want to carry a voice activated recorder strapped to my chest. How about a 007 watch that acts as a recorder? Now you have to have proof of everything you say because these FA's can lie and get away with it.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 5:53 am

Unbelievable!! Though I did not know that phrase until my first trip to Australia some years ago, it did not occur to me when I first heard it (or since) that it might be swearing.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:47 am

I didn't know it was illegal ("illegal"?) to swear at US FA's. (Or, at least swear at FA's whilst within US jurisdiction.) You'd think that's pretty stupid, considering that seems to extend the "rights" of FAs to dish out whatever behaviour they want without fear of repercussion? (Please don't take this in the wrong way: No decent FA, or anyone decent for that matter, deserves to be insulted, and I'm sure there aren't many, if any, FAs that carry out their job maliciously/sadistically.)

In any case, I hope that the FA in question is, culturally, a little more the wiser. Being in the flying business, there is a bigger world out there besides her beloved LOTFAP.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by anat0l
...In any case, I hope that the FA in question is, culturally, a little more the wiser....
And I hope that the FA in question is no longer employed in a position of direct contact with the travelling public.

{Disclaimer}
After my first hand experience dealing with a few regional airline FA's and their serious attitude issues, and the eagerness of the major carriers to wash their hands of any responsibility despite being on their ticket stock, I'm disinclined to give much weight to the FA's version of events.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
{Disclaimer}
After my first hand experience dealing with a few regional airline FA's and their serious attitude issues, and the eagerness of the major carriers to wash their hands of any responsibility despite being on their ticket stock, I'm disinclined to give much weight to the FA's version of events.
Yes, but isn't it a hassle to get LE involved, deal with paperwork, internal company investigations etc. Given that FA's first priority is typically reading People magazine, wouldn't there have needed to been some level of provocation from the passenger for the FA to disrupt her "schedule"?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Geesh, why don't they just pass out two six shooters in a holster for these FA's who think they are the new sheriff in town. It's getting so ridiculous up in the air now.
That's what FAMs are for...
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
What's interesting is the airlines reasoning for getting the coppers involved:

"The safety and comfort our of passengers and crew is our first priority," Snow said. "When other passengers or crew members feel uncomfortable it's our standard procedure to contact law enforcement just as a precaution."
There obviously was no safety issue or they would have restrained the pax.

Comfort? Is the discomfort of crew or passengers a reason to call the cops? Besides, it seems that only one FA "felt uncomfortable."

Behavior like this on the part of a carrier should be fined as a waste of law enforcement resources.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL-2MM, NW, AA, AS, NZ, AM
"Our initial reports indicate it was more than a misunderstanding of the language," said SkyWest spokeswoman Marissa Snow. "We witnessed aggressive behavior throughout the flight."
My understanding is that the customer made eye contact with the FA, an aggressive behavior, then uttered the awful "fair dinkum" slur while smirking, another aggressive behavior, and finally speaking with a foreign accent - a potential threat to everyone on board.

Seems logical to me......
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: no
Originally Posted by sobore
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/busi..._0810_web.html

An Australian tourist upset over her airborne snack says the slang term "fair dinkum" landed her in a fair amount of hot water this week on a flight from Atlanta to Pittsburgh.
Sophie Reynolds, 41, said the problem began about halfway through her Delta Connection flight on SkyWest Airlines when she rejected a snack of crackers and asked the flight attendant for pretzels.
Frankly, I do find in general Aussies crude with their language & mannerisms. They might not know it but if they ask non-Aussies, they will probably do a comparison among the English speaking community & say that it is the case. So, I don't find it out of step for the Delta FA to ask for a security check.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:34 pm

Discussion of this story started a couple hours earlier than this thread over in the Travel Safety/Security board:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723908
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I still find the phrase "Bob's your uncle" funny.

Who is Bob, and why is he my uncle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.