Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing may delay 787 maiden flight

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Boeing 787 makes swift progress towards first flight - at last

This appearance marked the end of almost two years of factory seclusion for the prototype after the ceremonial roll-out on 8 July 2007 that preceded the programme's rash of part shortages, production problems and design changes.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...flight-at.html
Old May 7, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: Various
25 orders cancelled for the 787 today as well.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which airlines is that? I dont really understanding why some airlines has been cancelled the order of 787 for this time.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boeing confirms 787 weight issues

The confirmation from Boeing occurs after Bernstein Research recently released a report estimating that early production 787s could be delivered as much as 8% overweight resulting in a range shortfall of 10-15%, putting the 787's range at 12,800km (6,900nm), well below the advertised ranges of 14,200-15,200km.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ht-issues.html
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And cancelled again. That delay of 'several weeks' in the first post looks indescribably optimistic now!

It is interesting... Airbus got hammered by the Boeing fans over its inability to bring in a major new aircraft project on time. And now Boeing is finding the same as Airbus did - building a brand new type, and not just a new derivative is hard....
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
As Boeing announces:

EVERETT, Wash., June 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) today announced that first flight of the 787 Dreamliner will be postponed due to a need to reinforce an area within the side-of-body section of the aircraft.

The need was identified during the recent regularly scheduled tests on the full-scale static test airplane. Preliminary analysis indicated that flight test could proceed this month as planned. However, after further testing and consideration of possible modified flight test plans, the decision was made late last week that first flight should instead be postponed until productive flight testing could occur.

First flight and first delivery will be rescheduled following the final determination of the required modification and testing plan. It will be several weeks before the new schedule is available. The 787 team will continue with other aspects of testing on Airplane #1, including final gauntlet testing and low-speed taxiing. Work will also continue on the other five flight test aircraft and the subsequent aircraft in the production system.
That does not sound too good.

BTW: does anyone know at which date they will top Airbus A380 program with this never ending story of delays?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Jenbel
And cancelled again. That delay of 'several weeks' in the first post looks indescribably optimistic now!

It is interesting... Airbus got hammered by the Boeing fans over its inability to bring in a major new aircraft project on time. And now Boeing is finding the same as Airbus did - building a brand new type, and not just a new derivative is hard....
Yep, can't help but feeling Boeing is reaping the karmic rewards of badmouthing Airbus A380 delays!

It does make me a little leary of flying the 787 until it has accumulated a lot of inservice miles.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
It does make me a little leary of flying the 787 until it has accumulated a lot of inservice miles.
???

Boeing chose to do the right thing, and that makes you uneasy about flying in the aircraft? Have you seen what an aircraft must go through before certification?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
.... Boeing is reaping the karmic rewards of badmouthing Airbus A380 delays!
Seriously, find me just one public statement to that effect please.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:51 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
If structural reinforcement is needed for the 787 then that may mean a significant delay before its maiden flight. Also, if the projected range of the 787-8 is compromised because of weight, then the plane will really be a modern day replacement for the 767-300/400 ERs, whose current range is approx. 6100 miles.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Thanks for the updates, FTers and Boeing employees. I've not noticed any PR news (locally) since the weekend, publicising that the maiden flight would be soon.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Not A Fan

I have seen the mock up interior

I haven't looked forward to this craft

I would be happy for it to never fly

I will try my best to avoid them when they do

They should have done upgrades to the 76
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I hate flying on 767s. To me, the 767 does not need to be UGed, but rather disposed of and forgotten.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
Boeing doing their best to help Airbus sell A350s. The 787 is beginning to remind me of 'vaporware' from the software industry...it is going to be some time before Airbus starts returning the favor with the A350 program.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:10 pm
hmv

Originally Posted by bordeauxboy
Boeing doing their best to help Airbus sell A350s. The 787 is beginning to remind me of 'vaporware' from the software industry...it is going to be some time before Airbus starts returning the favor with the A350 program.
Don't forget, the A350 program still has to start...
I'm guessing that the A350 will get seriously delayed, because of the new technologies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.