Reload this Page >

BA places corpse next to first-class passenger

BA places corpse next to first-class passenger

Old Mar 18, 07, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post BA places corpse next to first-class passenger

A British Airways passenger was refused compensation and told by the airline to "get over it" after a corpse was placed in the row where he was sitting last week.

Paul Trinder, 54, a businessman from Brackley, Northamptonshire, spent more than 3,000 for a first-class ticket from Delhi. He awoke during the flight to find that cabin staff were propping up a dead woman almost next to him. "The stewards just plonked down this body without saying a thing," he said. "I remember looking at this thin, sparrow-like woman and thinking she was very ill."

The woman had been in economy class when she died soon after the plane left Delhi. "She kept slipping under the seat belt and moving about with the motion of the plane," Mr Trinder said. "When I asked what was going on, I was shocked to hear she was dead."

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...cle2368991.ece

Tom posting from the BA Terraces Lounge at SFO (no dead bodies in here)
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR LT Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
If I was the person who awoke to the woman dead next to me, I couldn't care less what BA gave me (even if they gave me a plane), I would never set foot in a BA plane or lounge in my life.

"Get over it" is an excellent way to alienate and lose business in my book.
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Wow, I can't believe BA's response, especially to a customer who shelled out $6,000 for a ticket. I would be very concerned about keeping that type of customer's business.
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:50 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
....and they should stay in their ticketed cabin!
It's bad enough that Y pax want to use the bathroom in F, but wanting to be dead there? Honestly!
Old Mar 18, 07, 2:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
If that happened to me, I would never step foot on a BA flight again...hell, I am having second thoughts as it is right now for my Europe itin.
Old Mar 18, 07, 2:22 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Thumbs down The sad reality of an European ( ? ) country

Originally Posted by cda322 View Post
Wow, I can't believe BA's response, especially to a customer who shelled out $6,000 for a ticket. I would be very concerned about keeping that type of customer's business.
In a bubble economy the amount you paid means nothing anymore. BA reflects well the sad UK reality where everything is more and more overpriced (helped by the inflated currency which makes run the Brits abroad) without any quality assurance, but thousand explanations why things go wrong.
Old Mar 18, 07, 7:12 am

This isn't the first time that it has happened on BA recently. Maybe they should invest in some body bags.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632165
Old Mar 18, 07, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I think so as well.

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
In a bubble economy the amount you paid means nothing anymore. BA reflects well the sad UK reality where everything is more and more overpriced (helped by the inflated currency which makes run the Brits abroad) without any quality assurance, but thousand explanations why things go wrong.
'Get over it' is an insult. I do hope the passenger gets more than a little publicity out of this. I've given up on flying BA for several good reasons. Fortunately not this one.
Old Mar 18, 07, 7:45 am

Programs: CO, UA Premier
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
I've given up on flying BA for several good reasons. Fortunately not this one.
Me, too. Could have been because they lied to me about when the miles in my account were going to expire (I fly a decent amount, but not usually on BA) - first they told me they were, then they told me they were'nt, then they told me that they had expired after all. When I tried to talk to them about what happened, I got pretty much teh same reaction that other folks on this thread got - tough luck. Now, with a summer trip to Europe planned, I could really use those miles. So, Air France and Virgin Atlantic are getting my money instead.
Old Mar 18, 07, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
This isn't the first time that it has happened on BA recently. Maybe they should invest in some body bags.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...d.php?t=632165
Fixed your link:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632165

Don't use the URL tag when you can just copy the full web address into the text window.
Old Mar 18, 07, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I can not believe the BA staff, from the incident to the response.
This is one airline to avoid with this level of stupidity. The BA CEO needs to personally apologize to the PAX for this behavior.
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:18 pm

Programs: United MP
Do they have a place to put a corpse during a flight? Shouldn't they divert to offload it or something?
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:27 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Makes you wonder when the Beatles, in "Back in the USSR" complained about BOAC, saying "Man, I had a dreadful flight"--was the paper bag on his knee because he was strapped in inext to the recently deceased?

Just hearing this makes me never want to fly them.

--PP
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, NW
When my brother was a medical student--with a medical student's gross sense of humor--someone asked him how they shipped dead bodies home, and he facetiously came up with something similar to the BA scenario, only he said, "They give you a free ticket if you're willing to sit with the stiff."

Who'd have thought that something like that could happen in real life, only with no free ticket?
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
And they're supposed to do precisely what with the body?

I suspect that as a practice they put the body wherever it's going to be farthest from the next passenger. On a full flight, that's likely be up front.

Perhaps BA was abrupt with the passenger, but we're only hearing one side of the story.

Far from complaining, I'd go home, hug my wife, and consider how good I have it.

I'm honestly surprised at some of the reactions posted here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: