Wiki Posts
Search

PDX-SJC Lost engine on Flight 406 12/19

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:41 pm
RKG
Original Poster

PDX-SJC Lost engine on Flight 406 12/19

Alaska's Flight 406, PDX - SJC was forced to return to Portland today due to losing the port engine about 10-15 minutes into the flight. I was seated in row 2 when we felt 4 big thumps. The plane noticeably slowed and we went into a couple of gentle turns. As we slowly lost altitude the pilot announced that we lost the port engine and we were returning to Portland. We arrived about 15 minutes later. There were many emergency vehicles ready and waiting for us. Thankfully, they were not needed. The landing was quite smooth! Kudos to the two great pilots!

-RKG
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Glad to hear that everything went so well!
Kate
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Everytime I read "lost engine" I always think of a plane physically losing an engine. Like you look out and you don't see an engine that's supposed to be there. But oh well. Glad to hear everything turned out well.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Glad to hear you arrived on terra firma safely.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:39 pm
RKG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
Everytime I read "lost engine" I always think of a plane physically losing an engine. Like you look out and you don't see an engine that's supposed to be there. But oh well. Glad to hear everything turned out well.
I understand what you are saying. I did not know how else to describe it. The engine was certainly still attached and upon landing, I did not see any damage or signs of smoke or fire damage. I just used the words of the pilot.

By the way, the aircraft was an MD80 and the registration number is N949AS. I had taken the short trip to Portland and back to San Jose to qualify for Platinum on NW. I must admit, in the middle of this experience, there was a moment or two when I thought that NW Gold Elite wouldn't be so bad after all...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:54 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by RKG
I understand what you are saying. I did not know how else to describe it. The engine was certainly still attached and upon landing, I did not see any damage or signs of smoke or fire damage. I just used the words of the pilot.

By the way, the aircraft was an MD80 and the registration number is N949AS. I had taken the short trip to Portland and back to San Jose to qualify for Platinum on NW. I must admit, in the middle of this experience, there was a moment or two when I thought that NW Gold Elite wouldn't be so bad after all...
Do you get the extra miles?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Do you get the extra miles?
Wouldn't PDX-PDX = 0 miles. (Of course, then the 500 minimum kicks in )
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:58 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Wouldn't PDX-PDX = 0 miles. (Of course, then the 500 minimum kicks in )
Love those minimums
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by RKG
I understand what you are saying. I did not know how else to describe it.
Engine failure, engine malfunction, in-flight engine shutdown...

I know what you meant though.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
"Lost an engine" is how we refer to an engine failure. When you use a term frequently enough you forget that the specific usage is not universally understood.

There have been a number of incidents and accidents where the engines have litterally been lost. The engine pylons are designed to have a weak link so that a seriously damaged engine will come loose instead of transmitting extreme forces to the airframe. Three incidents come immediately to mind though I'm sure that there have been more. AA191 departing ORD in the late 1970s is one example. At least one B727 had an engine depart the airframe during cruise on the southwest US. A cargo B747 had an engine break lose near Anchorage.

A failed engine is an emergency (in a two-engined airplane at least) but it is one of the most practiced emergency procedures and should not cause an accident unless there are aggravating factors. The airplanes are designed to do it.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
"Lost an engine" is how we refer to an engine failure. When you use a term frequently enough you forget that the specific usage is not universally understood.
So what would a completely fallen off or separated engine be called?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There isn't a common usage term for a separated engine as it is not a common event.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
There isn't a common usage term for a separated engine as it is not a common event.
Hm. I figured there'd be a name for it. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.