Wiki Posts
Search

B797 - True Or False

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
B797 - True Or False

I just received this email about the proposal for a Boeing 797, which includes a photograph. Must be some form of gossip, as most reports I've read show that Boeing is more interested in anything BUT competition with a mega jumbo such as the A380.

I don't think it's possible to post the photo in this forum, but I'd go so far as to say that somebody who's good with Photoshop and a creative imagination came up with this one. Looks like the combination of: 2 parts Stealth Bomber (by shape), 1 part B747 (size), 1 part MD 80 (tri jet engines on the rear tail?). By the way, I'd like the seat in the very front, under the cockpit, and above the front wheel assembly!!

Quite amusing. If anybody wants a good laugh, I'll email you the photo if you IM.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's false.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Someone took a Boeing design study of a flying wing and added the new Boeing corporate colors to it.

As FWAAA notes, it's not an active project within Boeing. The 797 moniker will most likely be applied to Y1 - the replacement for the 737 and 757 narrowbodies.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are two versions floating out there. One is an extended upper deck 747 mock up, Like this:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...hp?id=00007385

And the other is a blended wing body airplane, which is the one you seem to be talking about.

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/boeing797.html
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic

And the other is a blended wing body airplane, which is the one you seem to be talking about.

http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/boeing797.html
I'd hate to get a middle seat on that thing...
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Robt760
I just received this email about the proposal for a Boeing 797, which includes a photograph. Must be some form of gossip, as most reports I've read show that Boeing is more interested in anything BUT competition with a mega jumbo such as the A380.

I don't think it's possible to post the photo in this forum, but I'd go so far as to say that somebody who's good with Photoshop and a creative imagination came up with this one. Looks like the combination of: 2 parts Stealth Bomber (by shape), 1 part B747 (size), 1 part MD 80 (tri jet engines on the rear tail?). By the way, I'd like the seat in the very front, under the cockpit, and above the front wheel assembly!!

Quite amusing. If anybody wants a good laugh, I'll email you the photo if you IM.

Found a link to the photo that was sent to me, which looks really bizare, most likely due to the angle or whatever.

B797 Article w/ Photo
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Well, if you enter Boeing 797 into Google Images, you get a range of images. All very interesting!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:01 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Just imagine sitting on the outter most part of the cabin and when the plane banks left or right.... plus those that dont really like flying or get airsick sitting there.... (i'm assuming that it'll be a super wide cabin thus if a plane banks left or right.... I'm guessing those sitting the at the edge of the cabin will feel the most sudden movement.) Looks nice, but I doubt its for real (well, I know Boeing was looking into this design concept for who knows how long but I don't think it'll actually get on to the market in the near future), especially when boeing is saying the future of airtravel is smaller planes (their response to the A380.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:13 pm

I'm sure Boeing toys with all kinds of ideas, but I wouldn't count on this getting past the drawingboard.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I'd hate to get a middle seat on that thing...
I hear it's going to be a 2 - 35 - 2 configuration.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
I hear it's going to be a 2 - 35 - 2 configuration.
So now FAs can be 4'6" but must have 10' arms...
Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:07 pm

Md80

How do three engines make it part MD80? The MD80, formerly the DC9-80 is a twin.

Originally Posted by Robt760
Looks like the combination of: 2 parts Stealth Bomber (by shape), 1 part B747 (size), 1 part MD 80 (tri jet engines on the rear tail?). Quite amusing. If anybody wants a good laugh, I'll email you the photo if you IM.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bird Watcher
How do three engines make it part MD80? The MD80, formerly the DC9-80 is a twin.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I'm quite certain that Robert knows that MD-80s are twins - I didn't interpret the comment about the "tri jet engines on rear tail" as implying that super80s (as we at AA call them) were tri jets. You apparently interpreted his comment differently.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
The blended wing thing as a Boeing successor to the 747 has been kicking around for a few years not, but I doubt it ever got much past the artists rendition stage.

I suspect the safest bet for Boeing if they decide to take on the A380 would be to put new engines and a longer upper deck on the 747, and I seem to recall that the new 747 would use 787 engines anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, DL
I do not know if this is true but I got the following email today.

Look at this new aircraft....

Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years. The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in cooperation with the NASA Langley Research Center. The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747's 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide.

The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers. Boeing decide to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works research facility in Long Beach, Calif.

The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style tubular aircraft for decades to come.

There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift to drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%, making it a n estimated 33 % more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus's $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky.

High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft, It reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency, giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach 0.88 or 654 mph (+-1046km/h) cruising speed another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380's 570 mph (912 km/h).

The exact date for introduction is unclear, yet the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy

Please click here to see the pictures. http://fly2w.webs.com/b797.htm

Is this true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.