Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B797 - True Or False

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by fly2w

The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers.

Is this true?
No
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
No
And I was getting all excited.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:52 pm

And I was getting all excited.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:54 pm

I was looking forward to fly on those cool looking planes.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:04 pm

I was looking forward to fly on those cool looking planes.
My "no" was based on the statement that the A380 hasn't carried any pax yet. It's in scheduled service since end of October 07
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It wouldn't be wise for Boeing to compete with the A380..... the market is pretty limited for these large birds...the 787 will be much more popular than the 797 over the course of its life (as you've seen with the 747 in recent years)
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:29 pm

My "no" was based on the statement that the A380 hasn't carried any pax yet. It's in scheduled service since end of October 07
Sorry. I was asking if the B797 is true.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Just one of several hints that the undated fake e-mail is from at least a few months ago. Another is the outdated order total for the A380, which was up to 193 (177 firm) when I last checked. (Still a good way from its 400+ break-even point, but that's a different topic.)

Also, the blended wing/body (BWB) concept is not exactly a secret. It was first used in 1929 in the Junkers G-38. (Photos on this page; third one down shows it best.) McDonnell-Douglas demonstrated a 1/16 scale model in July 1997. (Press release here.) An April 1999 article in Wings talked about how Boeing, which had acquired MD in the meantime, was studying it. If the potential advantages cited in the e-mail were not offset by more serious drawbacks, it would be in use by now.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
The BWB is most likely first to enter service as a freighter - likely a military one to replace the C-5 Galaxy.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:03 pm

I originally posted this on wrong thread....I will try again, sorry:...... Can I put my 2 cents worth into the discussion. Boeing has current narrow bodies that has the capacity up to 220 seats (737MAX10's) and Wide bodies from 260 seats (787-800's). The "797's appear not to have a clear position (nitch) anywhere in either narrow or wide category. The only question is whether its an aircraft for international or domestic usage (a 757 replacement basically being a domestic aircraft) or international usage (a 767 replacement is the international aircraft). So, that being said, Boeing would receive a lot more satisfied customers by building a smaller international wide body aircraft at or just larger the the current 737MAX10 - in the neighborhood of 230 seat up to 260 seat aircraft. Now, that being said, can Boeing build such an aircraft and get it economical enough to use on (I guess) on the TATL routes exclusively? Maybe I'm way off base on my thinking - please give feedback, I'm all ears.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Because the original post is 12 years old, and the last prior activity 10 years ago, and because per the current practice there is no link to a published "general travel news story," I'm going to close this.

If @ChamplinAl would like to re-post a new thread with a link to a published news story about the 797, that would be great.

Thank you,

cblaisd, Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.