Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German plans airline for smokers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up German plans airline for smokers

A German entrepreneur plans to launch the world's first smokers' airline next year, promising a return to the times before planes became smoke-free zones.
Alexander Schoppmann, a former stockbroker, is seeking the start-up cash for Smintair - Smoker's International Airways.

On its website Smintair promises to "bring back the exclusivity in flying encountered in the 1960s".

The plan is to fly two leased Boeing 747s on the Duesseldorf-Tokyo route.

Old-fashioned luxuries

The airline will not offer economy-class tickets, but will target business people who enjoy smoking - and who are willing to pay for some extra pampering.

Smoking will be allowed in all 138 seats on board - and there will be extra leg room, because jumbo jets normally accommodate more passengers.

"The upper deck will be the passengers' lounge and not be jammed with seats, as you can sadly find everywhere, nowadays," the website says.

"Allergics against tobacco smoke or militant anti-smokers are asked to not apply," Smintair says on its jobs page.

On the website Mr Schoppmann writes nostalgically about the old times when Lufthansa offered its passengers a vast selection of Montecristo cigars.

The rest of the story can be found at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5121786.stm
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
This airline will never take off. Anybody willing to take a bet?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
This airline will never take off. Anybody willing to take a bet?
I agree that this particular incarnation of the concept is unlikely to take wings but I am pretty sure someone else with more experience and financial connections will seriously look at it.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:24 pm

there's one thing the general public in closed spaces hates more than cell phone conversations .. smoking
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Just imagine the cost of claims after staff & pax (or their survivors) sue for damages as a result of the dangerous environment causing heart attacks or death. A smoky environment for long periods, especially after awaking from a sleep, would be an ideal trigger for a heart attack for a heavy smoker.

Why not relive these wonderful old days in a 707 or 727 - and also imagine the stink and the smoke stains and burns everywhere

Germany, friend of the dying smoker, is at least a good place to publicise such an airline. Perhaps the local 'industry' could sponsor the airline (and Nicorette sponsor at the other end)?

What's the real reason behind this stunt?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Just imagine the cost of claims after staff & pax (or their survivors) sue for damages as a result of the dangerous environment causing heart attacks or death. A smoky environment for long periods, especially after awaking from a sleep, would be an ideal trigger for a heart attack for a heavy smoker.

Why not relive these wonderful old days in a 707 or 727 - and also imagine the stink and the smoke stains and burns everywhere

Germany, friend of the dying smoker, is at least a good place to publicise such an airline. Perhaps the local 'industry' could sponsor the airline (and Nicorette sponsor at the other end)?

What's the real reason behind this stunt?
100% of smokers die

Heart disease is a multifactorial illness and diet is a huge factor in causing it. A non smoker who weighs 400lbs and eats at Mikey D's everyday and breathes in the polluted CA air is not going to fool me into thinking my second hand smoke caused his problems.

Of course the airline does point out one of the reasons airlines passed a no smoking policy (hint it wasnt health or lawsuit issues it was pure cash saving) and intends to re introduce circulation of real air!

I should imagine with the restrictions on Tobacco advertising Philip Morris would love the chance to have an airline in Marlboro colors

As for the motivation to the release as the guy behind it is in columbia I will leave it to the reader to take a wild guess.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
He says airline smoking bans were prompted by a desire to economise on air conditioning systems.
Uh, yeah. That's the reason.

Reads more like some rich "entrepreneur" wanted to see his name in the press. This will never go anywhere.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Where is Smint based? Germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smint

Lynx Air (via JetStar) sold some product & fantasies with its raunchy ads...
"With the tagline "Get on, get off" you'd think this fictional airline was the dream of harried travellers and pre-pubescent boys the world over".
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=74897
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Was there not a "smokers only" airline started in the US a few years ago. It was started as a charter to allow passengers to smoke on board. As I recall, it was called Freedom Airlines. I thought the carrier started in early 2005. I haven't heard or read anything about it in ages, so I have to assume the concept failed.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:04 am

http://smintair.com/index.html
Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by smoothtakeoffbumpylanding
there's one thing the general public in closed spaces hates more than cell phone conversations .. smoking
This, however, would not be for the general public. It would be for the smoking public.

Why would a non-smoker care in the least if a smoker wants to fly on an airline which permits it?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:44 am

This guy must not have any business sense considering any possible exit strategy if/when the airlines flops is out of the question...how do you unload 2 747's that are stained with smoke? Any residual value will be eaten up by the cost of redoing an entire 747 interior. However, he may just be a front for one of the large tobacco companies ie Phillip Morris to publicize their company even if the airline takes a loss, it is still good publicity.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:56 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by Newryman
The plan is to fly two leased Boeing 747s on the Duesseldorf-Tokyo route.
My smokers friends would prefer HKG-NRT-SFO than HKG-SFO direct flight, so they can have a puff in between flights. There are alot of smokers living in Japan, especially businessman......this just might works!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:18 am
Suspended

DUS-NRT is a major cargo market and all airlines willing to fly to DUS wanted to do it with a 744M.

The big obstacle, both runways in DUS are too short, however a 744 with only 120 seats and cargo can make it.

He wants to make € 40 million a year with advertising in and on the plane, a big and crucial part to cover the cost.

The problem will be to get a slot, hence the postponement of the flight.

Personally I think NCA flying to AMS and driving the Cargo to DUS and JAL driving two big busses to FRA daily plus ANA codesharing via FRA are tough obstacles to overcome.

The new ultra long range ANA B 737 in a low density configuration with a lot of C seats however would be a good fit, but I fear that the range is not high enough..
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't their bigger obstacle regulatory?

Hasn't DE, or the EU, banned smoking on all pax aircraft departing and landing at its airports?

Oh, and the English on their website really blows -- one would have imagined that they could at least have found the money to hire someone to double check spelling and grammar before posting the text...

Last edited by YOWkid; Jul 7, 2006 at 8:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.