Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Airlines cramming more seats into Boeing's Dreamliner

Airlines cramming more seats into Boeing's Dreamliner

Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
What are the seat widths when they do 9?
~17.2". Exactly the same as 10 across on the 744.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because that had nothing to do with the subject matter.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
I hope purchasers of the Airbus products are less-willing to stuff too many seats into not enough space.
You cannot physically fit nine-abreast seating in an A350 (well you can, but at like 15" or less width).

While the cabin interior is wider then the A330/A340, the fuselage diameter is not, so 2+4+2 is as many as you can put in. Right now that seating is 18" wide, so it is possible Airbus could offer 19" wide seats.

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Dear Boeing...
Not sure why you're ranting at Boeing, since they just install the seats the airlines deliver to their front door.

While it would have been nice to have 19" wide seats (and we may yet see them in the premium Economy cabins), more seats means lower trip costs which means lower prices.

If airlines thought they could command a fare premium for offering wider seats, they'd do it. But look at airlines like EK, with 10-abreast in the 777 (vs. 9-abreast on most other carriers), who can then offer lower fares and soak up more demand.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hazzey
Or the frequent fliers are out of touch with just how much the no-status passengers are willing to put up with. Only time will tell.
No status customers don;t have to fly a specific airline. If airlines operating aircraft with more room, be it airbus or boeing can sell a seat at the same price, many will choose more room. As a Plat I put up with some incovenience to maintain my staus and keep flying the same airline. For me, it may be time to quit chasing status, go for comfort and fly less. We have over 2 million miles and have used over a million and half. It's becoming more difficult to use the miles. Accumulating miles by doing mileage runs is becoming less atarctive to me. People like me would go for comfort even if a seat costs a bit more as total annual cost will still be less when we don't do the extra mileage runs needed to maintain the status.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
If airlines operating aircraft with more room, be it airbus or boeing can sell a seat at the same price, many will choose more room.
Assuming customers are educated enough to know the difference.

Also, more seats allows airlines to offer lower fares. So a nine-abreast 787 doing LAX-SYD can offer cheaper fares then an eight-abreast 787 or A350, which will be the decision trigger far, far more often then comfort or IFE.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Steerageliner Stratoliner

Originally Posted by MisterNice
Maybe they can make the newly named B787 NightmareLiner(tm) a single aisle aircraft with 5 and 5 seating. Then think of all the $$$ they will coin.
^ LOL

In high school I took some cross country trips on chartered Trailways busses. Oh did I date myself? The overhead luggage racks were large enough for us to climb in, stretch out and actually get some sleep. There was a steady rotation up into the racks.

ALL they have to do is ban all carry on luggage, redo the overheads into berths, and sell 40 more seats- - err- -passenger storage spaces- - per plane. Think of the revenue.

Put a vacuum Bladder Emptying Tube at every seat, and cut trips to the lav 90%. Then install seat belts on the floor and sell those Steerage Class seats. At lest 10 to 20 more bodies tied to the floor. Think of the revenue. Of course, no more drink carts down the aisle possible, but heck, they're eliminating all of that anyway and now they have an excuse.

For Super Standby, those last minute $50 seats will be popular in the "We'll turn the heat on in the cargo hold just for you" cages. Pax will have to be locked in unused dog cages, to cut down the temptation to do a little "duty free" browsing in the luggage "Unlocked per TSA Orders." Think of the revenue.

Do like the cruise ships, and be exempt from those pesky FAA evacuation regs by registering in Liberia or Thirdworldistan. Or buy a few congressmen and get a loophole law passed for Part Ultimate Deregulation airlines. Think of the tax savings.

I bet we can cram 60 to 100 more people in a 787 NightmareLiner(tm). Over 200 more if we use a little phenobarbitol and stack the unconscious pax like cordwood, held down by a cargo net. After all, pax are not customers, they are "breathing cargo commodity units" to the corporate bean counters that run the world.

Think of the revenue!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
You cannot physically fit nine-abreast seating in an A350 (well you can, but at like 15" or less width).

While the cabin interior is wider then the A330/A340, the fuselage diameter is not, so 2+4+2 is as many as you can put in. Right now that seating is 18" wide, so it is possible Airbus could offer 19" wide seats.
Air Transat of Canada does put 3-3-3 seating on their A310 and A330s.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Air Transat of Canada does put 3-3-3 seating on their A310 and A330s.
So does Thomas Cook (on their A330s).

Standard A330 config is 8x18" with 19" aisles.

So 9x16" with 19" aisles would work. *shudder*
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Don't forget the jump seats that flip out to fill that aisle space and make it seating for 11 across
Japanese Subways are the new model the airline industry will follow.

And the flight attendants will be sent to the ball parks to throw snacks like they do at baseball games.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Sorry, duplicate idea.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:27 pm

At least it'll be more roomier than the A380 (which the airlines will probably pack it to the gills too).
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bumpme
At least it'll be more roomier than the A380 (which the airlines will probably pack it to the gills too).
The A380 will start with probably 3+4+3 at 18-19" on the main deck, but expect them to roll out 3+5+3 at 17" at the next refit (though EK might roll it out on Day One).
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
This is thoroughly depressing, though I understand the rationale of the airlines in doing it. I can't blame them for wanting 30-35 extra seats worth of revenue on every single flight.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
For long-haul a/c, it seems that a 4-class plane is the trend:

First with twin-size beds and a jacuzzi (ok, not really, but...) (1-2-1)
Business with flat beds (2-2-2)
"Status Coach" with 2-4-2 19" seats, 35" pitch
"Fare War" with 3-3-3 18" seats, 31" pitch

I'm woefully lacking in knowledge of the non-US carriers. I know that BA has 4-class, and seem to remember seeing something like it on Eva. VS has 3-class, with Upper Class doing F/J.

Is there a trend outside the US to split coach like this?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by CO FF
I'm woefully lacking in knowledge of the non-US carriers. I know that BA has 4-class, and seem to remember seeing something like it on Eva. VS has 3-class, with Upper Class doing F/J.

Is there a trend outside the US to split coach like this?
BA, EVA and ANA are the only ones I know of with 4-class planes. [Unless you count UA's E+ as a seperate class.] But even EVA is moving to 3-class only with their new 777, eliminating the F cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.