FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Visitors to US must supply address (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/473689-visitors-us-must-supply-address.html)

alanh Sep 17, 2005 2:13 pm

Visitors to US must supply address

Although the Times article mentions just the UK, I'm guessing this will apply to all visitors.

Travellers to the United States who lack precise details of their accommodation there may be barred from flights. From October 4 the US will require that airlines present first-night addresses or face a fine of £1,900 for each passenger not in compliance.

Passengers will need to supply a full address — street number, street, city, state and postcode — or risk being barred from flights or turned back by immigration officials. Airlines will be responsible for returning passengers to Britain if they land without the correct information.

The rules, issued by the US Department of Homeland Security, are designed to yield more information than the “Marriott. New York” that some of the September 11, 2001, hijackers submitted when they arrived. A six-month start-up period will allow passengers and airlines to get used to the regulations.

Spiff Sep 17, 2005 4:03 pm

:td: :td:

DHS should be disbanded for harassing our guests with this idiocy! :mad:

tcook052 Sep 17, 2005 4:12 pm

What happens if I don't know the street address or phone number of the Marriott Times Square? Or if I'm driving down the PCH and don't have any accommodations planned? Or, or, or...

Spiff Sep 17, 2005 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
What happens if I don't know the street address or phone number of the Marriott Times Square? Or if I'm driving down the PCH and don't have any accommodations planned? Or, or, or...

Then you're obviously a terrorist, by DHS standards. :(

magexpect Sep 17, 2005 4:22 pm

They can start with these rules whenever they want, it won't hurt me. I have already started my own rules almost a year ago by organizing all meetings that normally would take place in the US, in Asia.
Quite a lot of savings have been achieved already and my clients and partners enjoy the change. They all said better service, friendly immigration and customs, better airlines :)
Although American, I avoid any unnecessary trip home, that is anywhere except ATL.

Spiff Sep 17, 2005 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by magexpect
They can start with these rules whenever they want, it won't hurt me. I have already started my own rules almost a year ago by organizing all meetings that normally would take place in the US, in Asia.
Quite a lot of savings have been achieved already and my clients and partners enjoy the change. They all said better service, friendly immigration and customs, better airlines :)
Although American, I avoid any unnecessary trip home, that is anywhere except ATL.

^

I hope the rest of the world continues to book away from the US until this nation comes to its senses and stops harassing its guests.

goingsomewhere Sep 17, 2005 4:32 pm

I visited UK over the summer.

When entering the UK, a form did specifically asked me where I was staying along with address.

I don't see any harm that the US is asking.

Perhaps, we should not visit UK also.

Spiff Sep 17, 2005 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
I visited UK over the summer.

When entering the UK, a form did specifically asked me where I was staying along with address.

Perhaps, we should not visit UK also.

I've never had to supply a full street address when entering the UK.

Paddington Hilton, or similar has always been accepted.

Wally Bird Sep 17, 2005 6:19 pm

When a previous thread on this topic was posted, I asked a question to which no answer was given:

What possible use is this ?
Assuming a 'terrorist' is not going to do his/her deed on the day of arrival, who cares where they sleep that night ? Mindless bureaucracy.

Mateo4321 Sep 17, 2005 8:49 pm

Ugh.

Thank goodness right now I'm in Montreal :cool:

Xyzzy Sep 17, 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052

What happens? You're screwed. It's that simple. They've been doing this absurd "must supply address" thing at points of entry for some time. In April, at a Continental-sponsored get together at IAH they gave us a tour of the new international arrival facility. Continental had a special desk set up just to look this kind of data up for its passengers so they could be admitted to the US if they didn't have the complete street address for their destination. With this change in the already absurd rules it will be near impossible for people to find the complete street address of their destination if they don't already have it. How is a someone in a foreign airport going to find the address of a Motel 6 in Peoria, IL so they can check in for their flight? Why does it matter whether they have this information before or after they arrive? If someone supplies an address that the government does not like will they be refused entry?

Of course, this whole exercise is just as stupid as the government asking people on forms whether they are terrorists. Anyone wishing to be deceitful will simply list whatever address they choose. The only ones who will be inconvenienced are those who are being honest and have nothing to hide. :td:

Xyzzy Sep 17, 2005 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere

There's no harm in asking. There is harm in refusing people entry if they don't have the exact address with them, or not letting them get on a flight if they don't have the exact info. Knowing you are staying at the Marriott Marquis, NYC and writing that on the form should be just as good as providing the exact street address for the hotel. It's all bollox anyway, as once you've been admitted to the country you can go anywhere you like.

I wonder what would happen if you wrote "1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington, DC 20500-0001" on the form?

ralfp Sep 17, 2005 9:54 pm

What if the person isn't staying overnight?

This really confused the Thai immigrattion guys at BKK 2 years ago. I arrived from TPE and had an 8 hour layover or so. They had to get their supervisor to clear me through. Even though their English was okay they didn't seem to get the idea that I was staying for 6 hours. I should have just put down some hotel...

cj001f Sep 17, 2005 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I wonder what would happen if you wrote "1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington, DC 20500-0001" on the form?

With or without the plus 4? :p

Many countries ask for your address - I've not been to one yet that actually cared, or even looked at that entry. The US program sounds decidely different, which would fit with the policy of US immigration making visiting the US an unpleasant experience every non-citizen, including those with as close to zero risk of terrorism as possible (New Zealand!)

tcook052 Sep 18, 2005 2:28 am

It seems like a questionable exercise with a dubious PITA-to-value quotient.

Am tempted to committ some other landmark to memory, not the White House, but like in the movie Blues Brothers where Dan Ackroyd gives the cops an address and it's Wrigley Field. :D