Wiki Posts
Search

Sunami - Sri Lanka, India, Thailand, Sumatra - 26 Dec 04

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I am sorry, but I really see no way in h*ll anyone could possibly see any benefit to this disaster, other of course than your warm, loving friend 747-437B. I wonder if he would have felt different if it were his family lost there. He'd probably see the bright side and think "well, that is less christmas presents I have to buy next year."

That you can even defend his words is what is truly sad.
I actually don't know 747-437B. I just think you are taking his words out of context and letting emotion guide how you read what he said. I don't think that is fair to him.

You've identified the offending passages:

Originally Posted by 747-437B
The end result of this will be that my business suffers due to lack of support services from the region AND my taxes increase to subsidize the relief efforts.
As a business owner, he should be looking at the business ramifications of the tragedy. He probably has investors and employees, to whom he owes an obligation. If the events of Dec. 26 make it harder to operate that business, he needs to be mindful of that. To do otherwise would be unfair to those relying on him.

Originally Posted by 747-437B
Human life in India is a cheap commodity. Sad as it may be for the families of the victims, the country as a whole could stand to benefit from natural disasters like this
He does not say "I think human life in India is a cheap commodity." He is making an obsevation based on his experience living there. He does not say that it is a good thing, just that, in his experience, that is the case. As for the benefit comment, history teaches that great disasters can be a catalyst for positive change. From the Bubonic Plague to the destruction of the Second World War, destruction provides an opportunity for the betterment of the living. We may be comfortable saying that so bluntly, but it is true.

The bottom line is that there are multiple dimensions to every tragedy, simply because our modern world is complex. Events such as this have economic ramifications and tghere is no sense in ignoring that.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I actually don't know 747-437B. I just think you are taking his words out of context and letting emotion guide how you read what he said. I don't think that is fair to him.

The bottom line is that there are multiple dimensions to every tragedy, simply because our modern world is complex. Events such as this have economic ramifications and there is no sense in ignoring that.
While there are many facets of any tragedy, he has clearly placed the minor impacts that it will have on his life - higher taxes and lack of service from call centers - above all else including unimaginable loss of life and habitat. That to me is mind boggling.

Let's try something. Replace all references to the tsunami with references to 9/11. I am not sure how much sympathy one would get from a New Yorker that his taxes were going up due to 9/11. I am also sure that they would not be happy with suggestions that it a good thing it happened because it gives New York an opportunity to better itself and present people with new opportunities.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:18 am
Suspended

As a business owner, he should be looking at the business ramifications of the tragedy. He probably has investors and employees, to whom he owes an obligation. If the events of Dec. 26 make it harder to operate that business, he needs to be mindful of that. To do otherwise would be unfair to those relying on him.
For someone who made the statement "all Indian workers cannot be relied on", I dont think the welfare of his Indian workers is his greatest concern.

Yes, he has an obligation to his investors; yes, his obligation to himself !

I am not doubting the frustration that B747-437B faces operating a business in India (or any other third world country). I am also not blaming him for his concern on the impact of the disaster on his business. But to express his frustration and to criticise the society from which he is profiting, during a major disaster is just downright DISGUSTING.

As an FT member from a third world country, I find characters like B747-437B not worthy of the respect and the special privilege the natives bestow on them. They elevate themselves to being "living-gods" with their arrogance, and forget that they are actually guests in their host countries with their selfishness. The only reason they have chosen to operate from these countries is probably to exploit the low operating costs and to take advantage of their "special" positions in their host countries.

May I suggest to B747-437B to reveal his true identity, and publish his posts in the Indian mass media if he so truly believes that his posts are not inappropriate.

I apologise for my comments if I have wrongly assumed that B747-437B is not an Indian national.

Last edited by mario33; Dec 30, 2004 at 9:30 am
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mario33
I apologise for my comments if I have wrongly assumed that B747-437B is not an Indian national.
Actually, he is an Indian citizen. Earlier in the year, he wrote an outstanding trip report about traveling from Toronto to his native home in India just to vote in its national election.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:44 am
Suspended

Actually, he is an Indian citizen. Earlier in the year, he wrote an outstanding trip report about traveling from Toronto to his native home in India just to vote in its national election.
........ India would be proud to have such a son

Last edited by mario33; Dec 30, 2004 at 9:50 am
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:16 am

Programs: WWMFD
Patong Beach Tsunami Photos

Incredible destruction documented by a Mr. John Cole; not AP/Reuters:

John Cole Photos
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting. Moving to Newstand where it belongs.

--richard, moderator
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was away in Mexico for the past week. I had no Internet access, telephones, or television, thank goodness. I heard rumors of some earthquake somewhere but only when getting back did I understand the devastation.

Now I just read this thread.

I am glad Randy articulated his position. I will say that now that I am back in the moderator's saddle, there will be NO attacks on other Flyertalkers. Opinions, yes, but personal attacks, no.

--richard, moderator
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Belfast Telegraph
A desperate search using mobile phone tracking was mounted last night to trace Irish people missing in the worst disaster of modern times in which the death toll could now surpass 100,000.
How soon we forget. Within living memory, the Kanto earthquake of 1923 killed an estimated 140,000.

Last edited by taucher; Dec 30, 2004 at 12:24 pm Reason: to correct attribution
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:09 pm
Mul

Banda Aceh , Indonesia pictures

I got this link from other mailing list.

Pictures (please click on the website beleow) taken by Ir. H. Tifatul Sembiring when he arrived in Aceh on Desember 27 2004. (Source Forwarded to Bahtera From: Jumali Ariefin, mailing list masjid).

WARNING: THIS WEBSITE CONTAINS VERY GRAPHICS PICTURES

http://uk.geocities.com/acehberduka2004/index.htm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:39 pm

Programs: some
The day after the disaster? In public, in a forum where readers are likely to be missing friends/family?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
One development in this tragedy is the harsh criticism directed at the ministries of foreign affairs in several Asian and European countries. Poor co-ordination in organizing medical evacuation flights for the seriously wounded, a nonchalant attitude towards the affected tourists, serious failures to inform the families of victims and the wider public...The accusations seem quite similar in a vast array of countries ranging from Korea to Sweden.

What do we need diplomats for in the internet age if they are not there when help is gravely needed? The US Department of State at least tries to take care of US citizens abroad, or does it?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mario33
I judge a person not by his social graciousness, but rather by his actions when confounded with a financial disadvantage.
I judge a person by their character. This is a multifaceted gauge that includes compassion, empathy, social graciousness, courtesy and sympathy among other things. I do not measure a person in any sense of financial means, whatsoever. However, as mario33 posted, maybe his means of gauging a person leads to that person's character. Maybe we judge people in the same vein.

This thread will lead down the road of TOS violation so I recommend the closing of this. During a time of a sad and tragic world event, it saddens me more when people think of themselves above people who have lost something that can NEVER be regained. Financial losses can be regained with a successful business/investment venture. However, a loss of a life can never ease the pain of a person. This is truly a sad look into our world society as it stands today.

Last edited by RobotDoctor; Dec 30, 2004 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I just read through this thread. I too was saddened by the remarks of 747. But I read them a little differently than other posters.

I read the frustrations of a person from India who is frustrated with his government. People are dead in his country because of a government that isn't concerned with its infastructure. The economy of India will suffer, as will the economy of all affected areas.

When people are affected personally, they react in different ways. 747 wrote what was on his mind. It was his release value. Like it or not, it's his opinion. His thoughts might have been accepted next week. But today, I feel it's not the time, nor the place.

If he would have stated this, or if he would have better explained (without coming across so harshly), I would have been more accepting of his comments.

He does bring up a good point though about Indian politics. My guess is that this topic will be an interesting one in Omni when it surfaces; hopefully in a few weeks.

Last edited by dhammer53; Dec 30, 2004 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:32 pm

Glad to see that a silver lining is developing from this.

Tsunami a windfall for Indian tourism.

CALCUTTA, India, Dec. 30 (UPI) -- It is a classic case of making hay while the sun shines.

India's department of tourism, with the backing of the government, has asked local tour operators to contact stranded tourists in destinations ranging from Sri Lanka and Maldives to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia to divert their stay to India.

Although with an estimated 115,000 casualties -- until today and still rising -- India features third in the most affected casualty list, thanks to the vast country that India is and the fact that it has not attracted the same kind of "bad press" as Sri Lanka and Thailand. This has made the local tourism sector look forward to this windfall effect of the tsunami.
http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story....MLZBs10C3vUyw0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.