Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Russian airplanes crash

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Two Russian airplanes crash

CNN is reporting that two Russian commerical airplanes have crashed (apparently in separate incidents):

Two planes have disappeared from radar nearly simultaneously in separate incidents in Russia Tuesday night, and one was confirmed to have crashed, the Russian Emergency Ministry said.

A passenger jet carrying 34 passengers and eight crew members in the Tula region crashed about 160 kilometers (100 miles) south of Moscow, the ministry said.

Witnesses reported seeing the plane explode before it crashed, the Russian news agency Interfax reported.

The second plane, carrying 44 passengers and eight crew members, went down about 160 kilometers (100 miles) from Rostov-on-Don, in southern Russia, government-run Ria Novosti reported.

A ministry spokeswoman said she could confirm only that the second plane had been lost to radar.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
FSB sent to investgate the crash-retuers.
If the FSB which is the ex kgb is looking into this it means something is probably not quite kosher...
-howie
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Maybe the FSB normally handle such investigations? Just as the FBI usually peeks over the shoulder of the NTSB, even if foul play is not expected?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:02 pm

The wreckage of the second plane has been found.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Terror fears as two Russian planes crash

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040825/325/f14s2.html

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Two Russian passenger planes carrying more than 80 people have crashed almost simultaneously and security officials say they are investigating a possible terrorist attack. continued
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
full text of above article

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Two Russian passenger planes carrying more than 80 people have crashed almost simultaneously and security officials say they are investigating a possible terrorist attack.

Interfax news agency quoted government sources on Wednesday as saying one plane, carrying more than 40 passengers and crew, sent a hijack alarm before crashing near the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don.

[balance of article deleted as we do not post full articles on FT. Doing so violates FT TOS. Thanks for posting anyhow! --richard, moderator]

Last edited by richard; Aug 25, 2004 at 7:47 am
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:17 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
OK, you've got two planes flying from the same airport (DME) to the South of Russia (where most of Chechen attacks take place) and bang, both blow up within minutes of a each other while at cruising altitude (which is supposed to be the safest); one of them had time to generate a distress signal which is used for a)hijacking or b) fatal technical malfunction (but these are not known to occur at cruising altitude as any plane will have enough thrust left to glide down and crash land somewhere). And the same night there was an explosion at a bus stop in Moscow on the way to the same airport (a third bomber who chickened out and left the bomb in the street?). And the elections in Checnya are due this weekend (our peace-loving Wahhabi friends blew their President up on May, 9). Anyone wants to play connect the dots?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
... and Putin thought his oil-for-Chechens deal with Bush would spare him such problems.

Chechens biggest international backer in the last 20 years? The US. These last 13 years? Same but with Georgia being a too nice staging ground.

One of the "less-mentioned" activities of the CIA to help topple the then Soviet Union in the late 80s was to foment another Chechen uprising. It came a little late to topple the USSR, but, in yet another example, apparently it's still not too late for the US-Saudi nexus to still sprout terrorism years later through one of the last great efforts to knock out the Soviet Union using jihadi-like groups.

On this particular matter (given the bulk of the media reporting), if I had to guess, then I would say these were luggage bombs built with alarm clocks or had persons triggering said bombs on board the plane. Chechen extremists are more commonly known for drop and explode then committing suicide in the process (a la the same-day bus explosion in Moscow) but they have been known to do both.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by GUWonder
... and Putin thought his oil-for-Chechens deal with Bush would spare him such problems.

Chechens biggest international backer in the last 20 years? The US. These last 13 years? Same but with Georgia being a too nice staging ground.

One of the "less-mentioned" activities of the CIA to help topple the then Soviet Union in the late 80s was to foment another Chechen uprising. It came a little late to topple the USSR, but, in yet another example, apparently it's still not too late for the US-Saudi nexus to still sprout terrorism years later through one of the last great efforts to knock out the Soviet Union using jihadi-like groups.

On this particular matter (given the bulk of the media reporting), if I had to guess, then I would say these were luggage bombs built with alarm clocks or had persons triggering said bombs on board the plane. Chechen extremists are more commonly known for drop and explode then committing suicide in the process (a la the same-day bus explosion in Moscow) but they have been known to do both.

I knew it, I knew it......

It's the evil USA again!

When will the people realize....that if it wasn't for the evil empire the world would be such a happy go lucky place.

I'm glad that at least you see it.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrzej
I knew it, I knew it......

It's the evil USA again!

When will the people realize....that if it wasn't for the evil empire the world would be such a happy go lucky place.

I'm glad that at least you see it.

On a more serious note than that given by the above poster, the fact remains that during the Cold War we did some things that produced blowback for us and "allies" in the "war on terror". See Al-Qaeda.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:43 am
Suspended

On a more serious note than that given by the above poster, the fact remains that during the Cold War we did some things that produced blowback for us and "allies" in the "war on terror". See Al-Qaeda.

What are you? a child?

Every powerful country does what it thinks it's helpful in either weaking or hurtful to the opposition. Sometimes it does comeback to bite your own ..., but that's the reality of geo-politics. Learn to live with it and love it. If I knew about Bill Gates 30 years ago, I would be a very rich person now. I still made out ok, but my point is that not every action that we take as an individual or collectively will have the outcome that we thought. Does that stop us from what we may think is the right course today? when it may turn into a monster 20-30-40 years from now? If you are that bright and able to predict everything, I suggest you get elected and lead the way.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:50 am
Suspended

What are you? a child?

Every powerful country does what it thinks it's helpful in either weaking or hurtful to the opposition. Sometimes it does comeback to bite your own ..., but that's the reality of geo-politics. Learn to live with it and love it. If I knew about Bill Gates 30 years ago, I would be a very rich person now. I still made out ok, but my point is that not every action that we take as an individual or collectively will have the outcome that we thought. Does that stop us from what we may think is the right course today? when it may turn into a monster 20-30-40 years from now? If you are that bright and able to predict everything, I suggest you get elected and lead the way.
Some monsters are predictable. This was one of them. The blowback from the 80s build up of radicals through the Saudi Wahhabi channels was predictable and warned of long ago.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:54 am
Suspended

Some monsters are predictable. This was one of them. The blowback from the 80s build up of radicals through the Saudi Wahhabi channels was predictable and warned of long ago.
You ARE living in some fantasy world!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:14 am
Suspended

You ARE living in some fantasy world!
Sorry, but you are wrong! You ARE living in some fantasy world denying reality!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:15 am
Suspended

What are you? a child?
Perhaps you should ask yourself:

"What am I? A child?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.