Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
locked luggage may return to airport

Here's a story of note I must have missed on a busy Monday:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/7323180.htm

Airline passengers who worry about damage to and pilferage of checked bags may want to check out a new security device developed by Washington, D.C.-based Travel Sentry and supported by the federal Transportation Security Administration.

Old Nov 26, 2003, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sure, would you give the keys to your house or car to 50,000 people "just in case they need to check it out?"

Baggage should only be opened in the presense of the passenger unless that passenger has authorized it be opened w/o their presense.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Nov 26, 2003, 3:19 pm

Unless I'm looking at something different than the reporter was, apparently a "triangle" is now a six-sided geometric shape.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The federal agency's policy now calls for TSA inspectors to unlock and relock luggage with Travel Sentry-certified locks, identifiable by a triangular red logo.</font>
So, does anyone know whose campaing the Travel Sentry folks made the large donation to? Is this company represented by the wife of Herr Daschle?

I wonder, if the TSA drones don't notice that a bag has these new-fangled locks and they cut them off does the traveler have any recourse? Probably not...

Also, if the TSA folks have the decoding key for these locks then how long will it take until their friends the baggage handlers will have them too? A lock with an obvious key is just like having no lock at all!

Old Nov 29, 2003, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Lock them.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
The federal agency's policy now calls for TSA inspectors to unlock and relock luggage with Travel Sentry-certified locks, identifiable by a triangular red logo.</font>
So, does anyone know whose campaing the Travel Sentry folks made the large donation to? Is this company represented by the wife of Herr Daschle?

I wonder, if the TSA drones don't notice that a bag has these new-fangled locks and they cut them off does the traveler have any recourse? Probably not...

FWIW, I bought a set of two and figured I'd give it a test run. Lock was cutoff & suitcase damaged at DTW by the TSA at the checkpoint where they re-screen (CTX) your luggage after US Customs. Let's just say it didn't surprise me.

When I complained at SDF, the idiot I dealt with denied liability, scolded me for locking my luggage, and finally handed me a TSA claim form when I started requesting names and telephone numbers.

Furthermore, There was no "TSA inspection notice" inside my suitcase and it wasn't re-sealed with anything. Go figure -- the TSA can't get anything right.

FWIW, I'm going to send the form in with the receipt for my lock & request additional for damage to the suitcase, cc it to my Senators
& Representative, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

It's probably not worth my time or effort, but we'll see what happens. The TSA will probably spend more time and money to deny the claim than what the claim is actually worth. Unfortunately, the TSA is a friggin multi-billion dollar joke at taxpayer expense.. is anyone feeling safer yet?

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Nov 30, 2003, 1:33 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
hmmm how long before the keys show up on eBay?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jonesing:
hmmm how long before the keys show up on eBay?</font>
Is there any doubt that Al Qaeda will get access to these keys, and plant harmful devices in supposedly "safe & locked" luggage?

I think these locks will do much more harm than good.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 1:31 pm

A new line of Chaney shoes you don't have to take off.

The kennedy pocket knife you can carry on.

etc...
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SDF_Traveler:
FWIW, I bought a set of two and figured I'd give it a test run. Lock was cutoff & suitcase damaged at DTW by the TSA at the checkpoint where they re-screen (CTX) your luggage after US Customs. Let's just say it didn't surprise me.

When I complained at SDF, the idiot I dealt with denied liability, scolded me for locking my luggage, and finally handed me a TSA claim form when I started requesting names and telephone numbers.

Furthermore, There was no "TSA inspection notice" inside my suitcase and it wasn't re-sealed with anything. Go figure -- the TSA can't get anything right.
</font>
Did you actually watch them break in? There are still just plain ol' baggage thieves still around....
Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:49 am

Programs: Former UA 1P

Locks to which TSA had the key could at least be helpful in ensuring that TSA can't pass the buck to the airlines when something is stolen from the bag.

Being required to leave bags unlocked is bad, but so is this shell game of blame and denial that the airlines and TSA play every time something goes missing.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:51 am

Is it worth complaining because your neatly packed suitcase is now a mess, clothes all rumpled etc?
Old Dec 1, 2003, 3:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by studentff:

Locks to which TSA had the key could at least be helpful in ensuring that TSA can't pass the buck to the airlines when something is stolen from the bag.

Being required to leave bags unlocked is bad, but so is this shell game of blame and denial that the airlines and TSA play every time something goes missing.
</font>
I don't blame the airlines for playing the "Blame Game". They're luggage policy is opposite the TSA's. If the TSA refuse to be held accountable, no reasonable person could hold the airlines responsible for theft or damage. TSA is a fleecing farce.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimc_usa:

Is it worth complaining because your neatly packed suitcase is now a mess, clothes all rumpled etc?

</font>
Not to mention what gets transfered by dirty gloves from one passenger's suitcase to another.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:31 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimc_usa:
Is it worth complaining because your neatly packed suitcase is now a mess, clothes all rumpled etc?</font>
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Perhaps if everybody started complaining about that and filing lawsuits against the TSA in small claims court for the cost of dry cleaning and getting clothes pressed, then the careless agents out there might become more careful.

I mind them rifling through my things. I mind them carelessly rifling through my things even more. If I had my way, every agent who wrinkled a suit or shirt of mine would be fired on the spot.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:59 pm

When we did bag checks with pax right there, it wasn't always easy to repack the bag the way we found it, even with there help.

Of course, at this time, pax showed usually about an hour to half an hour before their flight and it didn't make it any easier. We had to check on SSSS bags.

A lot of us got really good at being quick and neat about it, but the bag had to be packed reasonable to do so.

This was with a PAX there to watch us try to get this stuff repacked. I had a lady show up a half hour before her flight and miss because she had three checked bags to be checked and she wanted everything packed exaclty how she had it and for it to be neatly. She blamed me for missing her flight. But the bags were repacked the same if not better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.