France unhappy with Lockerbie deal

Old Aug 15, 03, 8:49 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

France was on Friday resisting a US-backed plan to lift UN sanctions against Libya in exchange for financial compensation for victims of the 1988 Lockerbie aircraft bombing, saying that victims of a later attack should also get a similar pay-out.

France "is not prepared to waver on this," foreign ministry spokesperson Cecile Pozzo di Borgo said on Thursday, referring to a demand that Libya provide more compensation for the families of 170 people killed in the 1989 blast that brought down a French airliner over west Africa.

US officials in Washington expressed outrage at the French reservations, and said Paris had threatened to use its veto at the UN security council to block a resolution lifting sanctions against Libya.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...402839,00.html
Old Aug 15, 03, 11:57 am

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
It is clear of course why the French are so unhappy, consider how embarasing it is to have to try to explain to the French families whose relatives were killed by Libyian terrorists a year later why they got 100 to 1000 times less money than the Americans are going to get........ much better to just screw things up at the last minute and make sure it doesn't happen...

from the story
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The initial sum Libya paid France went to only a third of the victims' families - only those kin who had registered as civil plaintiffs in a French trial of the case -- and each payment ranged from €3 000 to €30 000 euros, compared to the €8.8m to be paid to the families under the Lockerbie arrangement.
</font>
I was modestly boycoting french goods as it was.. if they pull this stunt I am going to be quite actively disliking them from now on.

[This message has been edited by jcrb (edited 08-15-2003).]
Old Aug 15, 03, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
The French are not very good at very much except upsetting the Applecart!

RC
Old Aug 16, 03, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Why do French babies spit the dummy out of the pram so often.

Because they are French
Old Aug 16, 03, 8:21 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Fenton:
Why do French babies spit the dummy out of the pram so often.

Because they are French
</font>
I usually support US foreign policy on major strategic issues.

The difference in compensation between one dead passenger onboard UTA (3,000 to 30,000 euros) and one dead passenger onboard Pan Am (8.8 million euros) highlights the difference in effectiveness of the respective negotiating teams.

Still, I find the end result very difficult to accept and understand moves that exert pressure on an authoritarian regime that supports terrorism, provided they do not backfire and have negative effects on the compensation given to the families of the Pan Am flight.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 08-16-2003).]
Old Aug 16, 03, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
The French are unhappy at everything!!!

All they know how to do well is to surrender
Old Aug 16, 03, 7:06 pm

French Whine.
Old Aug 17, 03, 7:31 am
doc
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:

</font>
---

You're gonna' get my French friends upset!

-Mark

---

Malta unperturbed by Libya’s admission of Lockerbie bombing

Government, opposition welcome settlement with victims’ relatives

The Maltese government will not raise any issues with Libya following the latter’s own admission of responsibility in the Lockerbie affair after 15 years denying its involement and international isolation...

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/...w.asp?id=20135
Old Aug 18, 03, 8:21 am
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:

</font>
And here we go again !

Whatever the reason (I admit that I have not any idea about it, I have not followed this story) it seems quite astonishing that, for quite similar facts occurred one year apart, there is such a big difference in the settlements.

But if we (French) complain we are then once again accused of being the world's whiners in chief, that we lost all wars we were involved in and I am now waiting to have somebody writing that we seldom use soap (this is usually the next step).

Anyway I would be quite interested to read ideas of American members of this board regarding the democracy in Libya, and the reasons that could explain why what was so inadmissible from Saddam Hussein is acceptable from Khadafi. Because I believe that democracy in Libya is not very much stronger than democracy in Irak was before the war.

And I will remind people that some years ago US fighters were sent to Libya to kill Khadafi (which was an interesting way of solving problems, courtesy of the US, with their usual disregard for all international laws).

So yes, once again France is a pain in the american aXX.

But (some) Americans work hard to deserve this !
Old Aug 18, 03, 8:37 am
doc
Original Poster

Eyes on France as UN Nears Vote on Libya Sanctions

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=3293811
Old Aug 18, 03, 9:29 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TGV:
Anyway I would be quite interested to read ideas of American members of this board regarding the democracy in Libya, and the reasons that could explain why what was so inadmissible from Saddam Hussein is acceptable from Khadafi. Because I believe that democracy in Libya is not very much stronger than democracy in Irak was before the war.
</font>
You seem to overlook the fact that French bashing is much more fashionable than criticizing Libyan terrorism. While France has been reviled, I have not seen one piece of criticism focused on Libya and its government-sponsored murderers in this thread.

On the other hand, the position of the French government (as opposed to the position of the families of the passengers of the French airliner) would be stronger if they had not always been too soft as regards democracy in Libya or allowed, through their vote, Libyan diplomats to head the UN body on human rights.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 08-18-2003).]
Old Aug 18, 03, 9:52 am
TGV

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JOUY31:
On the other hand, the position of the French government (as opposed to the position of the families of the passengers of the French airliner) would be stronger if they had not been somewhat soft in the past as regards democracy in Libya or allowed Libyan diplomats to head the UN body on human rights.
</font>
I have to agree with this (unfortunately ! )
Old Aug 18, 03, 9:53 am
TGV

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JOUY31:
You seem to overlook the fact that French bashing is much more fashionable than criticizing Libyan terrorism. While France has been reviled, I have not seen one piece of criticism focused on Libya and its government-sponsored murderers in this thread.

</font>
And I agree also with this !
Old Aug 18, 03, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the other hand, the position of the French government (as opposed to the position of the families of the passengers of the French airliner) would be stronger if they had not always been too soft as regards democracy in Libya or allowed, through their vote, Libyan diplomats to head the UN body on human rights.
</font>
The focus of this thread is the French opposition to the US-secured deal, because that's the topic of the thread. It is news, because it is recent.

That Libya and Qadafi are evil is old news, and isn't what doc posted to discuss.

So one reason we aren't rehashing how evil Libya and Qadafi are is that perhaps everyone else remembers how to stay on topic.

Perhaps you could start a topic to discuss atrocities committed by Qadafi and other dictators for whom the French have always seemed to have a soft spot.

Must every discussion of the Nazis also be accompanied by a treatise of their evil as well?
Old Aug 18, 03, 11:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
The focus of this thread is the French opposition to the US-secured deal, because that's the topic of the thread. It is news, because it is recent.
</font>
Calling the French names doesn't seem to be very focused to me.

I would imagine the reason that the French families did not get as much compensation is becasue the French did not offer the lifting of UN sanctions as part of the bribe.

It also seems that someone in this case has forgotten to get French agreement, oops. As a permanent member of the security council, without their vote the deal isn't going to happen. This time of course the French stand on much firmer ground that last as there is no one to invade

Search this Thread
Search Engine: