Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Passenger sets fire to his seat at IAD

Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030128_3169.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
A 64-year-old man was arrested Tuesday night after setting fire to his seat on board a United Airlines flight at Washington's Dulles International Airport, the Transportation Security Administration said.

TSA spokesman Robert Johnson said the man who appeared to be Russian was "difficult" during boarding for United Flight 383 to Chicago, shoving passengers on his way to the gate.

After boarding the aircraft around 7 p.m., the man got into an altercation with a flight attendant as the plane was pushing back from the gate, Johnson said. The man then pulled out a cigarette lighter and started a small fire in his
seat.</font>
Air marshalls removed the man from the plane. Follow the link for the complete article.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:57 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
Maybe when he heard that no meal was being served, he decided to do his own in-flight cooking.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:37 pm

What conceivable reason would anyone have to set their seat on fire? It just makes no sense.

Oh, well. Transport millions of passengers and you are bound to get a few freaks.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:19 am

at least it happened before the plane took off.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally appeared in The Associated Press article:
....was "difficult" during boarding for United Flight 383 to Chicago, shoving passengers on his way to the gate.</font>
And he was still welcomed aboard???!!!

------------------
The best revenge is living well.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
The man was 64. Perhaps he had some type of dementia...
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:44 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Next item to join the list of banned carry-on material: lighters.

It's great that there was an Air Marshall on the plane.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, lighters are already on the banned list of materials...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Billiken:
Next item to join the list of banned carry-on material: lighters.

It's great that there was an Air Marshall on the plane.
</font>
Old Jan 29, 2003, 5:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
AFAIK, lighters are already on the banned list of materials...

</font>
Actually, I believe that the limit is 1 cigarette-type lighter per person on-board. I was recently stopped when I had 2 lighters in my carry-on - but was allowed to continue with 1. Maybe this has changes recently??
Old Jan 29, 2003, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lighter fluid is on the list of banned items. Whenver I travel, where there are posters about prohibited materials, lighters are always either listed or pictured.

Also check the TSA prohibited items list - scroll down to flammable items:

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/interweb/asse...sa_ppitems.pdf

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chrislacey:
Actually, I believe that the limit is 1 cigarette-type lighter per person on-board. I was recently stopped when I had 2 lighters in my carry-on - but was allowed to continue with 1. Maybe this has changes recently??</font>
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: Lots
Maybe the FA had just told him about the SWU change?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 8:03 am

Hey, the man is a Russian. Maybe he had just landed at IAD after an international flight (read: many vodkas) to connect to ORD...
Old Jan 29, 2003, 8:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
Lighter fluid is on the list of banned items. Whenver I travel, where there are posters about prohibited materials, lighters are always either listed or pictured.

Also check the TSA prohibited items list - scroll down to flammable items:

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/interweb/asse...sa_ppitems.pdf

</font>
Zippos are OK, Bics are ok. It is the refillable butanes or torch lighters that are banned..and the lighter fluid and butane can too. Supposedly, the "1 per pax" limit has been eased. Problem is, you see variation from airport to airport and so can't even rely on the TSA published guidelines. Some of the TSA folks I think look for trophies to justify their existence. I also think some of them take things because either they don't like you or because your attitude is not to their liking.

Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Banned or not, one must be very naive to believe they are not on every plane. You are not about to stop the smokers from carrying them. And by the way, I have talked to many travelers going on a vacation that carry those 8 inch long ones to light candles, etc.

I know the OSHA types are going to lecture us on the safety issues here, but I am just sharing with you what really goes on. As a check, all you have to do is watch what happens as the smokers exit the terminal. They grab a cigarette and a bic.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
Maybe when he heard that no meal was being served, he decided to do his own in-flight cooking.</font>
LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.