Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

You CAN get through security without a boarding pass!

Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:19 am
Original Poster

This has already been posted on the Southwest forum, but it really is good news for all frequent flyers - we should be pushing all the major airlines to provide news like this.

According to the Southwest Web site - this appears to have just been posted December 30 - you can print a "Security Document" to present to the TSA screeners in lieu of a boarding pass. I haven't seen a "Security Document", so I don't know exactly what's on it, but all airlines ought to provide something similar - perhaps start printing bar codes on the e-ticket receipts?

Gate check-in lives! (I think) Contact your airline today!
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:36 am

Currently not all airports require this. Even some airports that do require it only require it for certain airlines. It will happen eventually for everyone.

------------------
When in doubt www.PlaneFriends.com
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:47 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I was offered this option last summer by AA to accompany my 13 year old nephew to the gate. I declined.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 2:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have used it in the last 2 months.

rutdog...why didn't you use it?
Old Dec 31, 2002, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Is this the modern equivaletn of a "gate pass" ???
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:
I was offered this option last summer by AA to accompany my 13 year old nephew to the gate. I declined.</font>
Rules have changed a few times since last summer. And they will change again tomorrow. The past has no resemblance to the current rules - make that stupidity.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
The boarding pass required list and affected terminals is here:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=87&content=372
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Factotum:
This has already been posted on the Southwest forum, but it really is good news for all frequent flyers - we should be pushing all the major airlines to provide news like this. </font>
American, and several other airlines, already allow you to print boarding passes online. I think the reason Southwest is doing this 'Security Document' thing is because they don't have pre-assigned seating so you will still get your boarding pass at the gate according to when you get there.

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 12-31-2002).]
Old Dec 31, 2002, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Does anyone know whether a stand-by card will work for this? I am thinking about my experience back in early December at LGA where I was on a LGA/STL flight that cancelled because of a snowstorm. There was no hotel rooms to be had in/near the city so I went to the gate (using my flight schedule - old rules) and stood by for a flight anywhere else (DFW in particular). I eventually got to DFW where at least I could get a hotel room. Anybody know how this might work in the new world order?
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
If you have a meeting at an airport club beyond TSA security you get a pass to go through the TSA Checkpoint.

Note: The meeting MUST be scheduled 24 hours or more in advance and the list of meeting attendees given to the TSA by the airport club 24 hours before your meeting.

This cannot be done on a same day basis.

Good luck!
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:27 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
American, and several other airlines, already allow you to print boarding passes online. I think the reason Southwest is doing this 'Security Document' thing is because they don't have pre-assigned seating so you will still get your boarding pass at the gate according to when you get there.</font>
Yes, you can print a boarding pass online, but this can only be done so many hours before departure. Southwest gives you almost the entire day before, so if you're out and about on your day of departure you can still check in at the gate. You can also print outbound and return "Security Documents" for short trips, before starting the trip.

Of course, it would be really nice if the airlines would attach the necessary documentation to one's ticket receipt.

Old Jan 2, 2003, 5:46 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Factotum:
Yes, you can print a boarding pass online, but this can only be done so many hours before departure. Southwest gives you almost the entire day before, so if you're out and about on your day of departure you can still check in at the gate. You can also print outbound and return "Security Documents" for short trips, before starting the trip.

Of course, it would be really nice if the airlines would attach the necessary documentation to one's ticket receipt.

</font>
I still don't see why this is such a big advantage over what the other airlines are already offering. American lets you print boarding passes 12 hours in advance and you are done. You don't need to check-in again anywhere. Southwest allows more time but you still need to check-in at the gate when you arrive.

I personally like the check-in kiosks at the airport best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.