Wiki Posts
Search

Security Breach at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Security Breach at JFK

At 11:00 p.m. Sunday night Sept 8., WNBC-TV Ch. 4 is reporting that Port Authority Police are investigating a security breach at Terminal 7 at JFK Airport. Terminal 7 is used by UA & BA. Apparently someone slipped past security without being screened. Based on my familiarity with this Terminal, this would be fairly hard to do. No word yet on any evacuation, although they do say departing flights are being delayed.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 2:21 pm

Here is what CNN.com reported:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TRAVEL/NEWS/...ach/index.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A terminal at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport reopened early Monday after being shut down when a man set off a metal detector and fled from security, said an official with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

"An alarm went off, and the individual fled," said Sgt. John O'Donnell, a Port Authority spokesman.

The man, identified as a white male between the ages of 50 and 85, has not been apprehended or identified.

The Port Authority was notified at about 8:35 p.m. EDT Sunday, O'Donnell said.

Terminal 7 -- which hosts British Airways, United Airlines and other airlines -- was reopened early Monday after extensive flight delays.

All passengers were rescreened, and O'Donnell said there was no further sign of suspicious activity in the terminal
</font>

If like RichG said, it is fairly hard to slip past security, what kind of guard couldn't catch a 50 - 85 year old man! He couldn't have gotten far that quickly.

Old Sep 9, 2002, 3:21 pm
Uli

In FRA, you just need some uniform to go through security, set the alarm off, and just smile to everyone and go ahead. Nobody will follow you. Happens 1000+ times each day.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I guess the same guard who couldn't narrow down the guy's age closer than between 50 & 85! also couldn't catch him. I guess he's pretty certain though, that the guy couldn't possible be 45 or 90.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 9:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
I guess the same guard who couldn't narrow down the guy's age closer than between 50 & 85! also couldn't catch him.</font>
That is strange. Someone asked to estimate another's age will usually give a range of five years, ten at most. I'm wondering if the 50-85 came from combining the estimates from several different witnesses?

Old Sep 10, 2002, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Once again, it is likely that the JFK security staff was randomly harassing passengers, thus allowing another more likely threat to slip through their fingers.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.