Old Apr 30, 2002, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Releases New Expanded List of Prohibited Items

Here's the new list of prohibited items:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
April 30, 2002

Phone: 202-366-1109 or 202-366-5580

TSA Issues Guidelines to Help Passengers through Security and Expands List of Prohibited Items
WASHINGTON – The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today issued some reminders to help travelers pass through security checkpoints at airports and an updated list of items that passengers may not bring into the aircraft cabin. The TSA will be reviewing the list periodically, and any changes to the list will be announced and posted on the TSA website at www.tsa.dot.gov.

Allow extra time: Heightened security measures require more time to properly screen travelers. Travelers should contact their airline to find out how early they should arrive.

Check-in:

A government-issued ID (federal, state, or local) will be requested. Each traveler must be prepared to show ID at the ticket counter and subsequent points, such as at the boarding gate, along with an airline-issued boarding pass.

Curbside check-in is available on an airline-by-airline basis. Travelers should contact their airline to see if it is available at their airport.

E-ticket travelers should check with their airline to make sure they have proper documentation. Written confirmation, such as a letter from the airline acknowledging the reservation, may be required to pass through a security checkpoint

Screener checkpoints:

Only ticketed passengers are allowed beyond the security checkpoints. (Arrangements can be made with the airlines for non-travelers accompanying children, and travelers needing special assistance to get to the gate.)

Each traveler will be limited to one carry-on bag and one personal bag (such as purse or briefcase). Travelers and their bags may be subject to additional screening at the gate.

All electronic items (such as laptops and cell phones) are subject to additional screening. Be prepared to remove your laptop from its travel case so that each can be X-rayed separately.

Limit metal objects worn on your person or clothing.

Remove metal objects (such as keys, cell phones, change, etc.) prior to passing through the metal detectors to facilitate the screening process. (Putting metal objects in your carry-on bag will expedite the process of going through the metal detector.)

At all times:

Control all bags and personal items.

Do not accept any items to carry onboard a flight from anyone unknown to you.

Report any unattended items in the airport or on an aircraft to the nearest airport, airline or security personnel.

Items permitted in aircraft cabins:

Pets (if permitted by airline, check with airline for procedures)

Walking canes and umbrellas (once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed)

Nail clippers with nail files attached

Nail files

Tweezers

Safety razors (including disposable razors)

Syringes (with medication and professionally printed label identifying medication or manufacturer’s name)

Insulin delivery systems

Eyelash curlers

Items prohibited from aircraft cabins:

The following items will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Please note that this list is not all-inclusive. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential threat may also be prohibited.

Ammunition

Automatic weapons

Axes

Baseball bats

BB guns

Billy clubs

Blackjacks

Blasting caps

Bows and arrows

Box cutters

Brass knuckles

Bull whips

Cattle prods

Compressed air guns

Corkscrews

Cricket bats

Crow bars

Disabling chemicals or gases

Dog repellent spray

Dynamite

Fire extinguishers

Flare pistols

Golf clubs

Gun lighters

Gunpowder

Hammers

Hand grenades

Hatchets

Hockey sticks

Hunting knives

Ice axe/Ice pick

Knives (any length)

Kubatons

Large, heavy tools (such as wrenches, pliers, etc.)

Mace

Martial arts devices

Meat cleavers

Metal scissors with pointed tips

Numchucks

Pellet guns

Pen knives

Pepper spray

Pistols

Plastic explosives

Pool cues

Portable power drills

Portable power saws

Razor blades (not in a cartridge)

Religious knives

Replica weapons

Revolvers

Rifles

Road flares

SCUBA knives

Sabers

Screwdrivers

Shot guns

Ski poles

Spear guns

Starter pistols

Straight razors

Stun guns/shocking devices

Swords

Tear gas

Throwing stars

Toy transformer robots (this toy forms a toy gun)

Toy weapons

Passengers should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items to them when they are left at the security checkpoint. In addition, those who attempt to bring banned items through the checkpoints are subject to civil penalties of up to $1,100 per violation in addition to criminal penalties.

While the above items are strictly prohibited from being carried into the aircraft cabin, many may be transported in checked baggage with these important exceptions:

Firearms and starter pistols may be transported in checked baggage so long as they are unloaded and declared to the airline.

Small arms ammunition for personal use may be carried in checked baggage but only if securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

One self-defense spray (pepper spray or mace) not exceeding 4 fl. oz. may be carried in a checked bag if it has a positive means to prevent accidental discharge.

Blasting caps, compressed air guns, fire extinguishers, flare pistols, and gun lighters are regulated as hazardous materials and may only be transported as cargo on passenger planes under strict limitations in quantity and packaging.

Other items listed above are entirely forbidden in air transportation. These include disabling chemicals or gases, dynamite, gunpowder, hand grenades, plastic explosives, road flares, and tear gas.

Passengers should also note that there are many items not referred to here that are restricted or forbidden as hazardous materials.

For more information go to http://www.tsa.dot.gov or call your airline as individual airlines may place additional restrictions on any item. You may also call the Hazardous Materials Information Center 1-800-467-4922. Violations of the hazardous materials regulations may result in fines of up to $27,500 per violation, as well as criminal fines and/or jail.</font>
Interesting what is not on the prohibited list, but is on my local airport's prohibited list, like crochet hooks, knitting needles, sewing needles, metal forks and spoons and blunt scissors.

As this press release indicates, they can ban any "other items that may be deemed to present a potential threat." Great. So much for certainty.

Still no valid FARs on this subject.

www.dot.gov/affairs/tsa0702.htm

[This message has been edited by FWAAA (edited 04-30-2002).]
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:53 pm

Still doesn't make a lot of sense. Umbrellas and walking sticks but not ski poles?
Old May 1, 2002, 7:56 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Or hockey sticks?? You can get in a good cross-check or a spear/butt-end, but probably not a slash.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:
Still doesn't make a lot of sense. Umbrellas and walking sticks but not ski poles? </font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old May 1, 2002, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
D**n, now I gotta remove the automatic weapons and hand grenades from my carry-on. What is this country coming to?

Note to TSA / FAA / FBI lurkers: This a humor-only post. All statements are fiction.

"Sir, you can't say 'bomb' on an airplane." --Meet the Parents

[edited to bypass the automatic profanity remover v. 2.4]

[This message has been edited by Western Airlines (edited 05-01-2002).]
Old May 1, 2002, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Interestingly, today's Wall Street Journal has a much more extensive list and knitting kneedles are now allowed. The Journal says the TSA is the source of their list. Bowling Balls and Parachutes are now allowed too.

Old May 1, 2002, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Can someone tell me what a kubaton is? I suppose I'd know if I had one, so I'm not likely to try to get on an airplane with one by mistake, but I'm curious.
Old May 1, 2002, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:
Can someone tell me what a kubaton is? I suppose I'd know if I had one, so I'm not likely to try to get on an airplane with one by mistake, but I'm curious.</font>
From MSNBC:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Kubotans, which turn out to be small stabbing weapons meant for self-defense and often carried as key chains.</font>
www.msnbc.com/news/745723.asp

I've never heard of them.
Old May 1, 2002, 9:38 am

"At all times: ... Control all bags and personal items."

How to do that when pulled away from the luggage conveyor belt for wanding and sniffing?

Sylvia
Old May 1, 2002, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
Cricket Bats!!!!! Cricket Bats made the list!!!!

I wish I could find a link to my cricket bat post now suddenly its topical again :-)
Old May 1, 2002, 10:50 pm

Knocking a security screener for a 6 just isn't cricket.
Old May 2, 2002, 8:00 am

I'm waiting for some Spicoli type person to get busted for saying that something's "da bomb." Or for someone saying that someone they know is a time bomb.

I really am. Can you see a Spicoli type saying, dude, that is so da bomb and then being pulled out and given the full treatment?
Old May 2, 2002, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Can I pack my blasting caps in checked luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.