Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

UK Daily Telegraph: The 10 signs you’re a middle-class travel snob [+ my 2˘]

Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold

Article link (requires subscription): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/10-signs-middle-class-travel-snob/

1. Preference for flying BA: more likely due to ability to use Avios, which can be earned all sorts of ways in the UK, rather than middle-class snobbery. Either that or lots of Avios earned through business trips.

2. Which part of France are we talking about? The South of France alone covers all sorts of places, like Marseille (which my father thoroughly enjoyed, BTW).

3. A preference for inland Andalusia in the summer can just as easily be explained by cost-cutting: summer is actually the low season there.

4. What about beaches in Scotland or Wales for domestic getaways?

5. My English mother insisted on an annual trip to the Bahamas, so fair point regarding the Caribbean. Barbados is questionable these days, however.

6. My beef with French ski resorts is that they are mostly purpose built in the middle of nowhere, as opposed to emerging from lovely centuries-old Alpine towns like in Switzerland or Austria. Also, in the Francophone ski resorts that focus on catering to Anglophones, the seasonaires tend to be cute but clueless, unlike the staff at Austrian ski resorts, who go to special schools to work at those places.

7. "Luxuriously eco-conscious": is there any other way to be? Being eco-conscious is a luxury only the global 1% can afford.

8. Who doesn't love airport lounges, as long as they aren't too crowded?

9. The threat of skin cancer has put off many people from lying on a sunlounger all day, every day. Forest bathing is the new sunbathing.

10. Only photo safaris are acceptable.

Finally, the grammar snob in me couldn't help but notice that the author made the mistake of adding "the" in front of "hoi polloi".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.