Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

WSJ: Forget Google Maps - Why Paper Map Sales Are Booming

WSJ: Forget Google Maps - Why Paper Map Sales Are Booming

Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
For gps driving I’ll use Google maps esp for traffic and eta. I’ll also use that app when plotting a trip even if it’s just within my city. I loved paper maps and now never use them. With Google maps I can zoom if I need to see details and I can scroll or expand if I want go see that bigger picture.
The zoom feature is essential. It is the only way to get Google maps to show you the street name that you need to know. Somehow Google can read my mind and know what street name I need so they can tell Maps not to show it to me.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
15 minutes of latitude and longitude in each quadrangle, using the traditional nomenclature system of degrees (), minutes ('), and seconds (").

I love the 15' USGS topographical maps (topos). What I often do is carefully cut out the map itself, without the white margins, into four quarters, pasting them onto unbleached muslin, about 3-4 mm apart, then painting the map with some waterproofing. That way, there is no fold crease, and I don't have the topo blowing in the wind. I paste the topo quadrangle name and info from the margin on one cover. For the USGS 7' topos, I cut them into nine pieces. I have been doing this since I was a Boy Scout.
I own a few topos that are printed on a waterproof material. The creases aren't nearly the issue they are with paper and it's a lot more durable. They're still a pain to handle in the wind, though, and you still have the issue of whether you have a line of sight adequate to actually use the map. GPS works even when you can't see the terrain--at this point I have settled on a backup GPS as superior to a paper map as a backup. I still find the paper maps helpful in getting a big picture, though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The zoom feature is essential. It is the only way to get Google maps to show you the street name that you need to know. Somehow Google can read my mind and know what street name I need so they can tell Maps not to show it to me.
Yup! Zoom out and the street vanishes from the map because it is too unimportant. Zoom in a bit, and it shows, but is unnamed. Zoom in more, and there's no name showing because the digital map associates the name with a point seven blocks away. Zoom in way more, and finally a name shows up. But this isn't the street I want. Drag the map to the next block - still wrong street - drag some more ad infinitum. Oops, the street I want has a break because of a park - and I dragged across the park, thus missing the street.

At least the creators of paper maps name everything that is within scale.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Velocipediste
Yup! Zoom out and the street vanishes from the map because it is too unimportant. Zoom in a bit, and it shows, but is unnamed. Zoom in more, and there's no name showing because the digital map associates the name with a point seven blocks away. Zoom in way more, and finally a name shows up. But this isn't the street I want. Drag the map to the next block - still wrong street - drag some more ad infinitum. Oops, the street I want has a break because of a park - and I dragged across the park, thus missing the street.

At least the creators of paper maps name everything that is within scale.
It is obvious why. You don't need to know street names. Just know what Google tells you. That is the only important thing.

(I find how google arbitrarily chooses a route hilarious. Save 0 minutes. But let me have you turn this and that way. And create more traffic for other people. Oh, you mean I can go straight and it takes the same amount of time? Why wouldn't I do that?)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
No street names when Zooming

Originally Posted by Velocipediste
Yup! Zoom out and the street vanishes from the map because it is too unimportant. .
As you zoom out the fonts would get so small you couldn't read them anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.