Reload this Page >

NYT: CRITIC’S NOTEBOOK Endless Lines, Baffling Delays, Crocs for Days

Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Nyt opinion piece about airport fashion. Kinda stunning and out of touch with comfort during a challenging time to fly.

…Even before experts like Peter Kern, the chief executive officer of the Expedia Group, predicted at the Bloomberg Technology Summit in San Francisco that this summer would be “the busiest travel season ever,” many had resigned themselves to air travel robbed of its former luster, to the sense that airlines see passengers as little more than human-shaped bundles of luggage. (Never mind that inflation and high gas prices have made the tariffs for a flight across country feel as pricey as a six-month cruise. )

Still, while the experience of travel may seem demeaning — hourslong lines for check-in, security and baggage at facilities like Delta’s Terminal 4 at Kennedy International Airport, a bare-bones cavern where the sole place to sit is on the floor — is that a good reason to meet insult with insult and dress accordingly? As someone once doomed to spend a night in the Minneapolis airport, I can attest that denim is a more practical option than PJ’s when you are bedded down behind a flight information board.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/03/s...e=articleShare
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Some serious snark in the piece:

Originally Posted by NYT
The issue, by no means limited to travel, arises in part when strangers wear stuff that forces us into a visual relationship with body parts we’d rather not think about. “If you say anything, you quickly run into a very aggressively enforced form of body positivity,” Ms. Steele said. “It becomes a matter of rights. It is my absolute right to wear whatever I want, and you have no right whatsoever to tell me what is appropriate.

However, I am the kind curmudgeon that agrees with the article's tone and sentiment.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are all the photos from the TWA Hotel though?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nerd
Why are all the photos from the TWA Hotel though?
Considered "sexy" by the NYT? "Local" color?

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.