Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Ask the Pilot: THE MAD, MAD SUMMER OF 2022

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:37 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

IF YOUíVE been to the airport lately, youíve experienced the mayhem. Terminals are swamped, planes are overbooked, cancellations are rampant, delays are out of control.

Iíve been working quite a bit over the last few months, so Iíve been in the thick of it. ďTravel is back,Ē I wrote in a post back in May. ďI wasnít sure weíd get here, so count me among those who are happy to see a little chaos again at the airport.Ē I meant what I said, but things have rapidly reached a breaking point. How bad is it, exactly? Itís tough to quantify in terms of statistics, but suffice it to say that in 30 years of commercial flying, Iíve never seen anything like this.

The gist of the problem is staffing. The media keeps talking about a pilot shortage, and certainly thatís a factor, but the crisis extends across the entire industry: at the airlines and their various contractors, at air traffic control, security, airport retail, and so on....

More: https://askthepilot.com/mad-summer-2022/
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great read. They have some additional links that I’ve yet to read.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.