Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

HuffPo: One Of The Most Basic Hotel Amenities Is Disappearing

Old Mar 18, 22, 8:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/one-o...b0c727d47e340c

"Whether out of necessity due to staffing shortages, out of respect for social distancing or perhaps just to save money, one of the primary amenities that sets a hotel apart from your home — daily housekeeping — is disappearing.... The trend of no more daily housekeeping — while largely initiated by COVID-19 — has become the norm at many hotels. During the pandemic’s early days, when transmission was more of a mystery, many hotels cut housekeeping services to reduce contact between strangers. But more than two years later, housekeeping still hasn’t returned...."
Old Mar 21, 22, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/one-o...b0c727d47e340c

"Whether out of necessity due to staffing shortages, out of respect for social distancing or perhaps just to save money, one of the primary amenities that sets a hotel apart from your home — daily housekeeping — is disappearing.... The trend of no more daily housekeeping — while largely initiated by COVID-19 — has become the norm at many hotels. During the pandemic’s early days, when transmission was more of a mystery, many hotels cut housekeeping services to reduce contact between strangers. But more than two years later, housekeeping still hasn’t returned...."
...will it come back?

David
Old Mar 25, 22, 4:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
...will it come back?

David
It will continue to come back in parts, but the question really is under what conditions will it be delivered. There are labor and supply savings to continue to be had by hotel owners/operators/contractors going cheap and trying to remain as cheap as possible as long as possible on hotel housekeeping-related matters. There are also risks by going cheap and remaining cheap on hotel housekeeping matters. But in this business environment all those near-sighted business interests don't have their glasses on to focus on the longer-term.
Old Mar 25, 22, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
It will continue to come back in parts, but the question really is under what conditions will it be delivered. There are labor and supply savings to continue to be had by hotel owners/operators/contractors going cheap and trying to remain as cheap as possible as long as possible on hotel housekeeping-related matters. There are also risks by going cheap and remaining cheap on hotel housekeeping matters. But in this business environment all those near-sighted business interests don't have their glasses on to focus on the longer-term.
Not sure that some of them ever had a longer term focus to begin with.

David
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 26, 22, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Silver
For a typical Friday/Saturday night weekend stay, I couldn't care less about housekeeping service. Just give me extra bath towels, and I'll be happy. When I travelled solo for work (4-5 nights) in 2017/2018, I declined housekeeping as long as they provided extra towels when I asked.

As noted in another thread, my family and I spent five nights at a Residence Inn recently. Their policy is full housekeeping service the day after the 4th night. That seems kind of pointless (since we'd be checking out the next day), plus we were going to be gone all day after the 3rd night. A quick discussion with the front desk got full housekeeping service moved up a day.

My guess is that at mid-tier hotels, the best it will come back to is every other night.
Old Mar 28, 22, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It's a generational thing as well. 20- and 30-somethings are much more likely to not want anyone in the room while they're staying there, under any circumstances, so "no housekeeping" is actually a feature to them.

There's also the enviro-friendly aspect of not washing linens daily (and therefore wasting less water and polluting it with fewer chemicals).
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I expect, require, and demand daily housekeeping. If it is not offered, I don't stay. Full stop.
Old Jun 11, 22, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
It's a generational thing as well. 20- and 30-somethings are much more likely to not want anyone in the room while they're staying there, under any circumstances, so "no housekeeping" is actually a feature to them.

There's also the enviro-friendly aspect of not washing linens daily (and therefore wasting less water and polluting it with fewer chemicals).
I can speak to this being true in my case. I will leave the Do Not Disturb sign on all day for multiple days. I usually take housekeeping once every 3-4 days.
Old Jun 16, 22, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We definitely can call and get fresh towels delivered daily or every other day. That plus free soap is all we really want - we don’t need freshly changed bedding. I still tip housekeeping and I’m pretty sure it’s less than before.

Search this Thread