Reload this Page >

WSJ: With kids scheduled for shots, holiday travel by air likely to increase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:26 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Come Fly With Me

With kids as young as 5 now approved for a Covid-19 vaccine in the United States, one of the final factors holding back the rebound of the travel and aviation sector will soon fall away for many parents. According to the most recent U.S. Family Travel Survey, 44 percent of respondents took a trip in 2020, which was far less than the 70 percent of families in 2019, and 36 percent of them chose a destination they could drive to rather than braving the skies. With kids scheduled for shots, holiday travel by air and cross-country trips will be back on the menu, and providers are excited. Never thought I’d see the day when a kid having a meltdown on a plane is downright music to my ears, but here we are.

Allison Pohle, The Wall Street Journal
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Come Fly With Me

With kids as young as 5 now approved for a Covid-19 vaccine in the United States, one of the final factors holding back the rebound of the travel and aviation sector will soon fall away for many parents. According to the most recent U.S. Family Travel Survey, 44 percent of respondents took a trip in 2020, which was far less than the 70 percent of families in 2019, and 36 percent of them chose a destination they could drive to rather than braving the skies. With kids scheduled for shots, holiday travel by air and cross-country trips will be back on the menu, and providers are excited. Never thought I’d see the day when a kid having a meltdown on a plane is downright music to my ears, but here we are.

Allison Pohle, The Wall Street Journal
So how many families are actually travelling over the next few weeks via air?

David
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DELee

David
We leave tomorrow for CMH but are driving from RDU. It's about a 9 hour drive but would take probably longer if we flew given no direct flights and travelling with 2 elderly travelers and a child means we need long layovers. Plus I just don't want to deal with the mobs at the airport over the holidays, not to mention cost. My parents can still help drive so I don't need to drive the whole 9 hours. Thank goodness for kindle fires so my daughter can watch some movies during the trip.

I don't see us flying anywhere for a while yet. I will travel by air for work in January, but with my job change I'll go from 20+ flights a year to maybe 4
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DELee

David
With high flight ticket prices, high rental car costs, and hotels also providing travelers less value for the money, it will be interesting to see what happens with how many are traveling with kids.

Given:

(a) Thanksgiving break-related flights were more (and more expensively) packed than usual before the pandemic; and

(b) the upper 25% filling those pre-pandemic Thanksgiving flights have substantially more wealth now than in 2019; and

(c) dual-income married couples have more wealth per person than the average household

perhaps the limit on family travel numbers is more a function of flight capacity and how much of that capacity is being taken up by SINKs and DINKs than desire to fly as if it were 2019.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.