FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Several sources: Boeing 797 “NMA”: Will it be built? Decision coming soon. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1955474-several-sources-boeing-797-nma-will-built-decision-coming-soon.html)

JDiver Feb 9, 2019 5:16 pm

Several sources: Boeing 797 “NMA”: Will it be built? Decision coming soon.

1 Attachment(s)

The New Midsize Airplane would replace the 757 and 767 in the middle of the market.

In 2015, Boeing determined the market was large enough to launch a new design. In 2017, multiple airlines expressed interest in a composite, seven-abreast twin-aisle with an elliptical cross-section. The new aircraft, likely to be known as the Boeing 797, would be available in two versions: a 225-seater with 5,000 nmi (9,300 km) range and a 275-seater with a range of 4,500 nmi (8,300 km). - Wikipedia link
Boeing estimates a market potential for 2,000-4,000 aircraft. They’d better hope so, given development costs may exceed $10 billion.

It’s only February, but Boeing Co. executives are already closing in on one of their most important decisions of the year: whether to plow an estimated $15 billion into a new jetliner family.

Designed for economical flying on mid-range routes — think Chicago to Berlin, or New York to Los Angeles — the Boeing jet would have the potential to transform air travel by spawning a new breed of longer-distance budget carriers.
Boeing’s board is expected to review the case for the new program by the end of March, according to people briefed on the matter.

Link to Boeing’s decision of the decade: Does It build the 797? by Julie Johnson for Bloomberg News
Speculation includes a Boeing-Airbus showdown at the June 2019 Paris Air Show. But there’s a worry the NMA might cannibalize sales of the 787 Dreamliner, particularly the -8. Will it be a replacement for the 767-300? (787-8s have been ordered for that purpose by several airlines.) Will it be the ultimate 757 replacement? (Some airlines have ordered A321neo to do that, but they may still lack a bit of useful load and maximum range.) Will Airbus retaliate with a Airbus A321XLR with fewer passengers?

Link to What do we know about the rumored Boeing 797 and why should we be excited? Travel Wires (May be the best glimpse into the 797)

Link to Boeing 797: No Pure Boeing 757 Replacement Feb. 6, 2019 by Dhierin Bechai

Link to Boeing '797' plane: Revolutionary mid-range jet could have wider, roomier cabin by Julie Johnsson, TravellerAU

Speculation by Travel Wires on the appearance of the putative 797 below.

N830MH Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Let see what happens. If they official launch new 797 aircraft. I believe when I see it. I am pretty sure about the airlines will eventually to orders it.

ou81two Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Unless it has the same composite design at the 787 then it's it isn't anything about which people should get excited.

USA_flyer Mar 22, 2019 10:31 am

Why on earth would they build an aeroplane for a 7 across cabin.