Search

Several Sources: Boeing 747 50th Anniversary - 8 Feb 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Several Sources: Boeing 747 50th Anniversary - 8 Feb 2019

The earliest 747s were underpowered and not very reliable, compared to today’s. My friend Ken (RIP) originally was a Navigator, later Chief Navigator, for Pan Am. He spoke about an early 747-121 he flew from New York to London that lost all four engines toward the end of the trip. He managed to land at a U. K. air base. The “Queen of the Skies” didn’t start out that way; the original design problems and slow start nearly put Boeing into bankruptcy.

Want to fly in the last “Queen of the Skies” variant, the model being used for the next “Air Force 1” presidential aircraft? Only three commercial carriers fly psssenger versions of the 747-8: Air China (7), Korean Air (17) and Lufthansa (19).

Link to 50 years ago today, the first 747 took off and changed aviation, by Erik Lacitis, Seattle Times

But that’s a long time ago, as the first -100s flew fifty years ago. (You can visit the prototype, RA001 / N7470, “City of Everett” at the Aviation Pavilion at the Museum of Flight at 9404 E. Marginal Way South, Seattle, Washington just south of Seattle - link).

Link to 747: 50 years of flight, Boeing Company

Link to Fifty years on, Boeing's 747 clings to life as cargo carrier by Eric M. Johnson, Reuters

BBC video

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...the-boeing-747

Illustrations: Boeing 747-121 vs 747-8 (Nick Knapp, Airliners Illustrated)
Boeing 747-121 N7470 original analog cockpit (Joe A. Kunzler)
Boeing 747-8 digital “glass” cockpit (Gordon Calder)
Attached Images    

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Happy Anniversary!

I actually flew on 747-400 for 3 times. I loves 747 aircraft. I bet they will be retired soon. They will be gone forever.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Wow! 50 years! I was living in Tacoma, Washington back in 1969 and remember seeing the original test plane fly over my house. It made an impression on me because we weren’t in the typical flight pattern for SeaTac some 45-50 miles to the north. It also has stuck in my memory as I had just graduated from college and the job market in the Pacific Northwest was in the dumpster and actually was going to get worse before it got better. Back then the major employers in western Washington was Boeing and Weyerhaeuser so you could build planes or be into logging. Not exactly the beginning of the end but Boeing was just starting to lay off some 60,000 employees, the majority in the Pacific Northwest. That led to the famous 1971 billboard “Will the last person to leave Seattle—Turn out the lights”. Tough times.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.