CNN: World's first Boeing 777 retires

Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...eum/index.html
after nearly quarter of a century of flying, the first 777 has made its final flight -- to an aerospace museum in Arizona, where it'll see out its retirement as a top travel attraction.
Ack, I'm feeling old. I remember flying one of UA's very first in 1995 as it was doing IAH-ORD flights to work out the kinks before moving into international service. Free status-based upgrades to the F cabin outfitted for international service - on demand video (I watched Casablanca), big fancy seats, etc. Quite nice for the time.
COSPILOT and andrejc77 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Geez, has it been that long already ?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Over the years it's clocked up 20,519 flights for Cathay. That's a whopping 49,687 hours of flying time.
I am by no means an expert on such things, but both those numbers seemed low to me to get to the point where they scrap the airframe. Even taking into account that it flew a few years for Boeing, other commercial aircraft type were in service for much longer. And, it's not as if today's 777's are that much more fuel efficient than the original, are they? What's the determining factor in such a decision?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Older 747 have a design life of about 30-35,000 pressurization cycles, and I would have thought technology would have evolved since then.

Maybe the fuel efficiency improvements of newer aircraft just made this one no longer economically feasible as it approached a D-check.
Often, older aircraft being phased out of a particular airline's fleet are either stored or scrapped upon reaching their next D check, due to the high costs involved in comparison to the aircraft's value.
Boeing 777: The Heavy Check follows each stage of a massive operation in which a Triple Seven is completely taken apart, inspected, and entirely refurbished. It’s an incredible surgical procedure that is carried out every 16 years of use and tens of thousands of flight hours, so the aircraft can remain at the cutting edge of technology, comfort and safety.
I don't think newer aircraft need to be that much more efficient for the economics to tip the balance over a lifetime. 20 years later, I would bet there have been improvements that are significant enough.

By the late 2000s, the 777 was facing increased potential competition from Airbus' planned A350 XWB and internally from proposed 787 variants, both airliners that promise fuel efficiency improvements. As a consequence, the 777-300ER received an engine and aerodynamics improvement package for reduced drag and weight

Last edited by CPRich; Oct 3, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2010-28363.htm, the 777 design goal looks to be 40,000 Flight Cycles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.