Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

If you are a male and a child is sitting next to you - better to move out

Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Today there was following article at BBC - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45484855, and before there were cases at different airlines when middle aged men were asked to move out if child was sitting next to them.

I know how the thread title sounds. But one of my US based colleague, who flies >150K miles, mostly within US, said this exact sentence. He then added - ' You might get lucky and prove that you are innocent, but you will never convince everyone, because when someone says "child", US constitution and all your rights are thrown out of window. So better to avoid the potential trouble in the first place'.

Your thoughts about this advice?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Today there was following article at BBC - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45484855, and before there were cases at different airlines when middle aged men were asked to move out if child was sitting next to them.

I know how the thread title sounds. But one of my US based colleague, who flies >150K miles, mostly within US, said this exact sentence. He then added - ' You might get lucky and prove that you are innocent, but you will never convince everyone, because when someone says "child", US constitution and all your rights are thrown out of window. So better to avoid the potential trouble in the first place'.

Your thoughts about this advice?
Move where? Most of my flights in the US have been completely packed.

I've sat next to UMs before with no issues whatsoever. I can't see changing my seat simply out of fear that someone might infer something that didn't happen.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well, assuming there there is a seat where you can move, and that seat is not worse then your current one...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to the Travel News Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Because the link given by the op doesn't lead to any story on the topic he's posting about, and because the op's characterizations are political in nature, I will close this and invite the op to re-post in OMNI/PR or Travel Safety/Security.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.