Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Spiegel: How Tourists Are Destroying the Places They Love

Old Aug 21, 18, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

Travel is no longer a luxury good. Airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet have contributed to a form of mass tourism that has made local residents feel like foreigners in cities like Barcelona and Rome. The infrastructure is buckling under the pressure.

Paradise Lost: Tourists Are Destroying the Places They Love - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I wonder if the answer doesn't somehow involve encouraging people to venture out of the big European cities and into the surrounding areas? The article touched on that idea, but it could be the key.

Whenever I visit Europe, I tend to split time between major cities and smaller towns/rural areas that I typically drive to. I often find the towns as charming and memorable as the capitals, and there is far less of a tourist presence. Quite often they are completely devoid of tourists.

As for cruise ships, I don't know what to do about those. I feel badly for any smaller city that gets regularly visited by these overwhelming behemoths.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by skyccord View Post
I can see this but it just must be par for the course. No different on how a company will move someplace to get some benefit and once that benefit is gone, they leave.
it’s just the total population is expanding quickly.
Old Jan 7, 19, 3:18 am

I think it's a catch 22. Some of these cities are driven my tourism, but it might be to their detriment in certain cases!
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post
Travel is no longer a luxury good. Airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet have contributed to a form of mass tourism that has made local residents feel like foreigners in cities like Barcelona and Rome. The infrastructure is buckling under the pressure.

The massive carbon emissions is a much bigger issue than the places.
Old Apr 19, 19, 2:42 am

People with their plastic everywhere too! Makes me mad to see some of Bali's most beautiful beaches all trashed. I hope this new trend of plastic-free world is here to stay.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 19, 19 at 8:56 am Reason: Removed profanity per FT Rules
Old May 21, 19, 7:13 am

Explore new destinations

Travel companies needs to promote new destinations, like Asia and Africa as most European destinations are overwhelmed with tourist.
Old May 28, 19, 10:40 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post

it’s just the total population is expanding quickly.
Eh, let's just summarize that by saying "China."
Old May 29, 19, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
But China is sorting out that problem by buying Australia.
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:30 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Did you even read the article and look at the "China" add, LOL

It's a sad or realistic natural process of wealth, I'm sure most here like me are of privilege that enable us to go see those pretty things all mentioned, but god forbid that other people read/see and desire and come see those same things we love/enjoy and drive the price, bring crowds, plastic or whatever your pet peeve is.

We all have bucket places of things or experiences, but simply not acceptable that my list is trampled because the billions of others have that list, right, LOL

Of course soon it will be base camp and Everest for everyone!
Old Jun 4, 19, 2:34 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Did you even read the article and look at the "China" add, LOL

It's a sad or realistic natural process of wealth, I'm sure most here like me are of privilege that enable us to go see those pretty things all mentioned, but god forbid that other people read/see and desire and come see those same things we love/enjoy and drive the price, bring crowds, plastic or whatever your pet peeve is.

We all have bucket places of things or experiences, but simply not acceptable that my list is trampled because the billions of others have that list, right, LOL

Of course soon it will be base camp and Everest for everyone!
Oh, right. China and South Korea.
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:27 pm

I misread this as "how space tourists are destroying the place they love" and was confused
Old Aug 4, 19, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Condé Nast (link): Iceland has lost substantial tourist income, yet to an extent been saved from some petty problems, due to the bankruptcy collapse of WOW.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by JenniferB View Post
I think it's a catch 22. Some of these cities are driven my tourism, but it might be to their detriment in certain cases!
An article I read recently touched on this. It was about a town in Austria that became famous for being the setting of a Korean show. The number of tourists have been higher than ever but with that also came more expensive goods, lack of privacy...
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jaymar01 View Post

Well that's true, but your mentioned cities were always in the most popular destinations list. Of course, I don't deny your words, it's true, but it's not that accurate.

Search this Thread