Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

FAA introduces bill to set minimum airline seats size

FAA introduces bill to set minimum airline seats size

Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So since this is the News forum, here's an actual link to a news article on the bill, rather than just a screenshot of the title:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ing/777040002/
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I thought the FAA rejected a similar request in early July and informed people that it would not regulate minimum seat size or airline legroom.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.W01O89hKh0s
Congressional legislation overrides the FAA's power.

If legislation is passed requiring a certain seat size, the FAA must follow what the law says. The FAA may then require the seats to be larger (but not smaller) than the size outlined in the written law.

This really shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, but since businesses will go out of their way to treat customers and employees like garbage to squeeze every penny they can into their profits, I suppose legislation is needed to prevent the greed from going too far... The current seat sizes are just uncomfortable and just straight up unhealthy. I'm 240 lbs and I can barely fit in the seat - I couldn't imagine what a 300 lb guy would have to do to ride the plane comfortably.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Jul 22, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
A much better title for this thread is "Congress includes minimum seat size for plane seats in FAA bill"
No, Congress did not defined actual minimum seat sizes in the bill. "Congress includes mandate for FAA to establish minimum seat dimensions".

Pat Vosburgh is 5'11" and says she's no fan of government regulations that interfere with business. But on this issue, she's also willing to make an exception.

Who thinks the FAA will set pitch/width standard more roomy than existing seating arrangements?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Who thinks the FAA will set pitch/width standard more roomy than existing seating arrangements?
They may arrange together and agree of the size. However I am not fan of FAA regulating things.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
It depends on what the final law ends up being (if it passes). It's very possible that there'd be little if any improvement once the lobbyists have their say, but then again it's also something that doesn't seem too controversial.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:51 am

Who thinks the FAA will set pitch/width standard more roomy than existing seating arrangements?[/QUOTE

Not me.... anyone who thinks any mandated pitch/width would be LARGER than current minima is dreaming...… and as long as airlines with the worst pitch keep selling lots of tickets to the MANY who only care about price nothing will change.
The unspoken subtext in all these demands for more space is, of course, "at no extra cost to MEEEE!!!"

Pardon my cynicism. I do reserve most of it for people like Pat Vosburgh (quoted above) who claims not to like Government regulation that affects business.... except.... clearly...when such interference provides a personal benefit to THEM. Seriously? Some principle THAT turned out to be.....
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper

Who thinks the FAA will set pitch/width standard more roomy than existing seating arrangements?[/QUOTE

Not me.... anyone who thinks any mandated pitch/width would be LARGER than current minima is dreaming...… and as long as airlines with the worst pitch keep selling lots of tickets to the MANY who only care about price nothing will change.
The unspoken subtext in all these demands for more space is, of course, "at no extra cost to MEEEE!!!"

Pardon my cynicism. I do reserve most of it for people like Pat Vosburgh (quoted above) who claims not to like Government regulation that affects business.... except.... clearly...when such interference provides a personal benefit to THEM. Seriously? Some principle THAT turned out to be.....
FAA should require evacuation data for each seating density for each aircraft type the airlines wishes to put in service. Then a seat size determination can be made. If any model aircraft is operating without these tests the Airworthiness Certificate should be revoked until completion of such tests.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
FAA said it hasn't done an actual evacuation drill in roughly 15 years. Everything since then is computer simulation.

This may force them to do a few and make some tough decisions

I hate government over reach, but I think the airlines have gone too far in certain areas
DenverBrian likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.