Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

USA Today: FAA refuses to regulate airline seating; tight rows safe for evacuation

USA Today: FAA refuses to regulate airline seating; tight rows safe for evacuation

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

In response to a federal appeals court case, the Federal Aviation Administration said Tuesday that it doesn't need to regulate airline seating because evacuation tests prove there is enough room to maneuver, despite consumer complaints about cramped quarters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ons/755707002/
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:02 pm

I'm not a fan of governmental over-regulation but it feels like the FAA personnel just "didn't want" to get involved, and found an excuse not to. Honestly, though, with the rarity of aircraft emergencies that would necessitate an emergency evacuation, the desire for more pitch and width seems to come from the desire for comfort rather than safety.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:52 pm

I'm ok with the FAA not regulating the actual seat size -- but I would like to see seat pitch and width on the purchase screen for each flight. I would be ok if this was mandated.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:29 am

I don't consider that regulating the seat size is an emergency. Maybe improving it's fuctions is more important

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.